Coolant smell - EEEEEK - HELP -- Pics updated!

NVMY03GT

Im kind of scared, and Im sure you'll understand why. Today is a pretty warm day. But while driving I smelled that oh so common smell of ANTI-FREEZE :(

I didn't pop the hood yet and coolant temp is staying okay so far but what are my possibilities. I know this isn't normal :(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NVMY03GT

• Crazy K

• DavidHowell3633

• FordBoy

Failing or Bad heater core? Does it smell like coolant in the engine bay, or only in the interior?

Smells like interior but you can smell outside the car also but no sign of coolant?

Failing or Bad heater core? Does it smell like coolant in the engine bay, or only in the interior?

Smells like interior but you can smell outside the car also but no sign of coolant?

Because it's burning off.. hence the smell lol

Im affraid to :) My luck AntiFreeze will be everywhere :). I need to pop the cap at some point I don't know that the radiators ever been flushed.

Run the car up to temperature then shut it off and listen for a hissing or bubbling sound under your dash, near the centre area where the heater core enters the cabin. When mine went, that sound was present. Also look for damp spots around that area.

Run the car up to temperature then shut it off and listen for a hissing or bubbling sound under your dash, near the centre area where the heater core enters the cabin. When mine went, that sound was present. Also look for damp spots around that area.

In the event I hear this how much are these to replace?

Alright boys and girls. I drove it home - EEEK!! Big mistake that was. I got into traffic fortunately I kept moving a little bit but not enough. I saw me tempature creeping up. It was scary. I got to moving and brought it down, but I got home and immediately popped the hood. Just as I suspected the entire engine was just LACED in Antifreeze. I thought to myself oh shit. So I looked in the resoivore, almost near empty. I added water it didn't really go anywhere. so I thought hmmm thats odd. At the time I couldn't really tell the source of the leak as everything was just CAKED in green :(. So I left the hood up to give her a little more air. Which brings me to my next conclusion. Both fans were running when I pulled into my parking space but they turned off after a few mins - WHY??? If the engine is like damn near on fire shouldn't both of those things be running full speed?

Anyhow I took some pictures. No the good news is it DOESNT appear to be leaking into the engine. The bad news is I either lost a water pump or a thermostat Im guessing but Ill let you be the decider. I don't know where the water pump sits on this car or further how to replace it. Also Thermostat. Where is it?

Pics:

It loosk as thought the leak is dripping down from right below the power steering pump. But it only leaks when the car ison. It almost looked as if its leaking from the side of the block but I don't think thats possible is it?

soure.jpg

This is very blurry but you can see the brown on the dipstick it doesn't look "Milky"

dipstick.jpg

Im hoping and pray for water pump but I would think for LIM gasket it would be into the oil somewhere.

200k I wouldn't say it looks HORRIBLE :(

that thing you wetre pointing at.... is the waterpump.

The leak looks like its coming from behind it though like behind the pulley not behind it physically but closer to the firewall. Could it be splatter? Whats a way to test the water pump or is there a way? I guess Im rulling out Tstat at this point since its on the other side of the motor. What now GP has me scared it could be the LIM Gasket.

Thoughts? Im going to purchase a water pump at noon today I realize its only $20 but Id rather nip this thing in the bud sooner rather than later.

Also when I take off the old water pump how much coolant will drain? I was thinking about that last night I doubt it drains the entire radiator right?

The leak looks like its coming from behind it though like behind the pulley not behind it physically but closer to the firewall. Could it be splatter? Whats a way to test the water pump or is there a way? I guess Im rulling out Tstat at this point since its on the other side of the motor. What now GP has me scared it could be the LIM Gasket.

Thoughts? Im going to purchase a water pump at noon today I realize its only $20 but Id rather nip this thing in the bud sooner rather than later.

Also when I take off the old water pump how much coolant will drain? I was thinking about that last night I doubt it drains the entire radiator right?

It's possible that your car is leaking coolant from the water pump because it is bad. And you won't lose much coolant, no. I did the job a few months ago.

It's possible that your car is leaking coolant from the water pump because it is bad. And you won't lose much coolant, no. I did the job a few months ago.

Oh its leaking coolant like Exxon Valdez oil spill shit is EVERYWHERE - But it stops when the car is off. Does that hel at all?

It's not going spraying after the car is off because the water pump isn't putting out pressure, so no, it doesn't help. Just pop the hood, start the car when it's at operating temperature and look for where it's spraying. Fix what's broken, put in a flushing tee, and flush out all of the crap in your system.

It's not going spraying after the car is off because the water pump isn't putting out pressure, so no, it doesn't help. Just pop the hood, start the car when it's at operating temperature and look for where it's spraying. Fix what's broken, put in a flushing tee, and flush out all of the crap in your system.

The part that worries me is I see a Drip coming from below the power steering pump Could that be water flinging off?

Ive heard of this flushing tee but how hard is it to flush the system?

yes it could be flinging, otherwise there's no possible way to get water in there unless you have the cap off, hood open in the rain. As for the flushing tee, putting it into the inlet hose is the hardest part, otherwise remove the radiator cap, attach a garden hose and turn on the water. Just use one of these kits, and you'll have everything you need to get the crap out of that engine. prestoneAccessories2.jpg

you may even want to use some chemicals like a radiator flush or a cooling system flush beforehand (make sure you get most of the chemicals out first.)

If it were persay coming from the LIM where would it be leaking? Into the motor or exterior?

it would go into the motor

if the coolent looks to be all around the water pump then it is shot change the water pump and see how it goes

start with the water pump.

Now a word of warning... you car appears to have had major coolant system neglect, based on the rust you see in the photos. I have dealt with two cars that look like they have had similar issues, and had rusty coolant... one was thicker than mud inside and smelled like coffee. Both of these had immediate waterpump and radiator failures the moment I started trying to flush the system. Also all the rubber hoses had to be replaced as well, as they were etched on the inside. now.. I did cheat on one of these cars, I took all the hoses from a donor at a junk yard, along with that cars radiator, and installed them without issue. I eventually did the intake gaskets as well on both of these cars, but not for the same reason.

so the most important thing I must ask... what does your coolant look like right now?

start with the water pump.

Now a word of warning... you car appears to have had major coolant system neglect, based on the rust you see in the photos. I have dealt with two cars that look like they have had similar issues, and had rusty coolant... one was thicker than mud inside and smelled like coffee. Both of these had immediate waterpump and radiator failures the moment I started trying to flush the system. Also all the rubber hoses had to be replaced as well, as they were etched on the inside. now.. I did cheat on one of these cars, I took all the hoses from a donor at a junk yard, along with that cars radiator, and installed them without issue. I eventually did the intake gaskets as well on both of these cars, but not for the same reason.

so the most important thing I must ask... what does your coolant look like right now?

Honestly - It is VERY Green - The overflow looks a little trvial but the stuff in the radiator very green. I am due for a flush probably new hoses as well. But I think I might let a shop do it. I don't know if I can do that one - a little scared to honestly. Today Im going to get atleast a new water pump so the car is driveable. Do I need to purchase anything with it? IE a sealer of any kind like FTV or anything?

either a gasket(not sure if there is one) or RTV

It did come with a gasket :woot: !!!!!

And so I brave it this evening. MESSY!!!! Question when I take this thing off is it going to gush coolant until the radiator is empty or just until it gets below a point?