Rear struts on a vert.

kuwaitliberation

I have seen everywhere to get to the struts through the trunk. Well, not on a vert. Do I have to pull that whole liner out there just to get to the tops of them?

??? do you mean just to reach the access to the bolts? none of the W's have the rear strut come out through the trunk

Maybe I was thinking of whats-his-face who's rear strut came into the trunk. I'm printing out the swapout instructions from the forum now.

I don't think I will have as many problems as you guys needing the 2 foot breakbar. We don't get no rust here :biggrin:

??? do you mean just to reach the access to the bolts? none of the W's have the rear strut come out through the trunk

Maybe I was thinking of whats-his-face who's rear strut came into the trunk. I'm printing out the swapout instructions from the forum now.

I don't think I will have as many problems as you guys needing the 2 foot breakbar. We don't get no rust here :biggrin:

the rear strut intruding into the trunk was unusual... that only occurred because the mount failed, but his struts were newer gas charged ones, so when it fail, it popped up. Our cars appear the have all had hydraulic struts without a gas charge, IMO, so an original struts would have popped down and left the car disabled.

and about the rust.... YOU SUCK! J/K

Kewl! Thanks. I am going to replace the damn struts today. :rolleyes:

When you push down on the rear, it takes about 4 1/2 bounces to stop moving. Should only be like 1 1/2 or 2 at the most. This thing rides like a jackhammer at times.

Kewl! Thanks. I am going to replace the damn struts today. :rolleyes:

When you push down on the rear, it takes about 4 1/2 bounces to stop moving. Should only be like 1 1/2 or 2 at the most. This thing rides like a jackhammer at times.

thats bad! actually... my 94 moves up and down once and stops.... and the struts are really bad too.

what is your brand of choice?

Gabriel. Just going with the company that invented shocks. They have been doing it longer than anyone else.

DO NOT USE GABRIELS for rears! they seem to have quality issues with rear shocks.

My 93 came with recently installed sensatracks on the rear of the car.

I will be installing senstracks on my 94 which has blown rears right now. I will also be installing NEW top mounts for the rear.... and will be getting them for a killer price from advanced auto's online site.... struts are like 65, and mounts are $16 , PLUS free shipping! this beats their instore price by about $60!!!

Just unbolt the two strut mount bolts from inside the wheel well, and remove the strut and strut mount as one piece.

DO NOT USE GABRIELS for rears! they seem to have quality issues with rear shocks.

Yea, which is why they discontinued that model. They just came out with an entirely new line of struts. The old ones, they stopped putting long warranties on and just warrantied them for a year. The new ones are LLT.

But, it is a done deal now anyway. They are on. No more noise. Car feels like it rides on rails again. I felt the difference just pushing on the gas the first time.

Next, I am going to do the fronts and go get me a 4-wheel alignment. Needless to say, I am very tired.

Edit - I took pics of the modified process that I did. It is inverted of what was suggested and I had both sides going at the same time. Oh, and the pics include what it looks like to have a '93 without any rust on the bolts. :lol: