Help!!! My strut is banging against the inside of my trunk!?!

SigEpCutlass

Crazy K is coming... soon!

I'll set the traps.

Spooge!

:leaving:

John, I thought you had new struts in the rear?

That sucks though.

Yeah, 35k miles ago. And I didnt have the mounts replaced.

Pics attached. This is what strut mounts look like in Texas. My car has 60K and is a '93. I used an air wrench and they ALL came off easily (knuckle bolts required break-over to start).

First is the upper mount.

Second is the knuckle bolts.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

I dont see a bump stop cushion there. So I would defenetly recomend replacing the upper strut mounts, and making sure to put in a bump stop bumper. I think those can only be found at the dealer, but I could be wrong..

I dont see a bump stop cushion there. So I would defenetly recomend replacing the upper strut mounts, and making sure to put in a bump stop bumper. I think those can only be found at the dealer, but I could be wrong..

All is well, my good friend. I have done the swap out already. She rides like a dream.

Oh, and I did both wheels at the same time. See attached pics.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

Wow sucks that you had that happen John. I guess it just goes to show that you should always replace the mount when you change the strut. :dunno:

Brian P...I did something similar to what you suggested, so thanks for throwing that idea out there. It definitely helped avoid causing more damage until it was fixed.

Cutlass got fixed last week. I was going to do it myself and take a day off from work, but one of my co-workers told me about a deal. My company recently started some sort of an agreement with a Chevy dealer near my office, so I got a serious corporate discount. I mean a 15% off BOTH parts and labor kind of discount. The dealership quoted me under $200, so I figured it was worth saving me from any frustration I might have encountered, and wasting a vacation day. When all was said and done, I have a new KYB after market mount (since they couldn't get a GM one), and the strut didn't loose compression. $154 for parts and labor with tax...so I got a pretty good deal. I'm just hoping that I don't have this happen to another one of the mounts before the struts are due to be replaced again in about ~10,000 miles or so.

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions guys! :thumb:

I discovered a broken lateral link on my 94. maybe my strut bushings aren't bad.. maybe my struts aren't blown! Who am I kidding. it all needs replacing :P

I discovered a broken lateral link on my 94. maybe my strut bushings aren't bad.. maybe my struts aren't blown! Who am I kidding. it all needs replacing :P

LMFAO!!! Don't feel bad man - Im going after that too but I need brakes also :( So FEEL my pain :(

I like everyone else am petrified to do it on my own because Ive been reading horror stories where people snap bolts off on the mount :(

damn 200 dollers

No...$154 dollars. It was worth avoiding the headache and not having to waste a vacation day.

So all you did was replace the mount?

Yes. Strut maintained compression...no reason to replace it early. The broken mount was replaced with an aftermarket KYB mount.

after reading this thread last night, mine decided to fail on me today

That sucks...sorry that I've apparently started a bad trend here. :sad: