Help!!! My strut is banging against the inside of my trunk!?!

SigEpCutlass

Yes...you read the topic correctly. I was driving home tonight and I went over the RR tracks, and I heard a huge clunk/thud noise. I thought it was weird because the crossing wasn't too rough, and I didn't drive more than 10-15mph over it. After that I went over a dip and heard a huge bang noise coming from the left rear. I pull over and this is what I find...

DSCF2360.jpg

DSCF2366.jpg

DSCF2367.jpg

I'm assuming my strut punctured the mount?!? Is my strut bad too? What the hell could have caused this? Most of all, what do you think I need to do to fix it? This couldn't have happened at a worse time. It's pouring rain outside and I need to drive to work tomorrow...I can't call out to fix this. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

Funny...I was just saying over the weekend at the IL meet how I was tired of stupid shit breaking on my car. :evil:

Your mount is fucked. What caused it is prolly just a weak mount afer countless miles....

Id replace both the mount and the strut. I duno if you can save the top of the strut

I grabbed a towl and rolled it up on top of the strut as I babied her the rest of the way home avoiding bumps and potholes at all costs. It muffled the banging, and hopefully prevented any serious damage that could have occurred.

What are the chances that the strut is f'd?

The struts have somewhere between 40,000 - 44,000 on them at this point.

The only part Id be concerned about on the strut is where it goes into the mount. If you can get a good contact between the two, and if the top nut cant hold it down properly, youll need a new strut. But you might be able to get away with just a new mount.

The only part Id be concerned about on the strut is where it goes into the mount. If you can get a good contact between the two, and if the top nut cant hold it down properly, youll need a new strut. But you might be able to get away with just a new mount.

I was afraid you were going to say that Jay. Damn it this sucks.

I grabbed a towl and rolled it up on top of the strut as I babied her the rest of the way home avoiding bumps and potholes at all costs.

Great call. As a temp fix until you can actually do it, try using a bunch of towels wrapped around a 2x4 to distribute the pressure. If you can get something like duct tape to hold it in good, that might help, also. Just a suggestion...

I replaced my struts on my TGP, and the shop I was at refused to replace the struts unless I replaced the strut mounts.

Looks familiar:

strut1.jpg

dsstrut.jpg

But hey, at least your struts still have a charge in them. When my mount went out, the strut's piston collapsed back down into the body and left the wheel to pivot out towards the fender.

Oh WOW!

I'm trying to get my brother to pay for the struts that he wore out on my 94. I'm not going to foot the bill for something he wore out.

But hey, at least your struts still have a charge in them. When my mount went out, the strut's piston collapsed back down into the body and left the wheel to pivot out towards the fender.

same shit happened to me on the passenger side. my g/f at the time was in the car. real panty dropper occurance :lol:

:eek: Holy hell!

Answers my question as to why Mounts need to be replaced with struts. I thought it was odd because there was no moving parts... glad I ordered them for my suspension job!

Hope you can get that fixed soon enough to avoid further damage!

Jamie

Yeah, I would just replace both struts and mounts.

50k is about the interval for struts.

Agreed. A new strut is not that expensive, anyway. Better safe than sorry.

holy shit mine never got that bad. I changed them recently. Just watch out for the bolts that hold the mount onto the body,. they absolutely love to snap off and leave you cussing. LOTS OF PB BLASTER :mrgreen:

holy shit mine never got that bad. I changed them recently. Just watch out for the bolts that hold the mount onto the body,. they absolutely love to snap off and leave you cussing. LOTS OF PB BLASTER :mrgreen:

Yeah, mine snapped. I had to get some replacements.

One reason I love living in the south, little snow, means little salt on the roads ever, which makes rust almost a non issue. My bolts came out really easy in the back when i did my origonal struts

THANKS A LOT MIKE... this happened to the green GP tonight when Carri was driving it home. Instead of simply popping UP, however, it decided to go as she went over a bump, and it came out the bottom and is now resting against the side of the wheelwell with my wheel like this----> \

:lol: I was JUST thinking to myself the other day... "Damn, it's happening to everyone! I hope it doesn't happen to my car!"

Crazy K is coming... soon!

I'll set the traps.

Spooge!

:leaving:

John, I thought you had new struts in the rear?

That sucks though.