1990 TGP Trans

whip

:question: I need to replace the 4T60 trans in my TGP. I don't know if is the original one, but I need to know if any 4T60 will work with the turbo. I have a 1991 Gp with a 3.4 DOHC in it. Will that one work? Appreciate the help!

A transaxle from a 3.4 liter DOHC equipped W-body will not work, it is a "4T60-E(electronically controlled).The older 4T60 in the TGP's are not electronically controlled. Also, the TGP's have specific 4T60's that are stronger than the standard ones. The best thing to do is get your turbo specific(if that's what is still in your car) transaxle rebuilt by a shop that has dealt with them before or to try and find a used TGP 4T60 in good working order to swap in.

:cool: Thanks for the info on the trans guys. Did Pontiac use specific 4T60's just for the turbo? I found an overdrive trans in a regular 1990 3.1 Grand Prix LE. Will this work. Thanks, Whip!

There are a whole host a trannys from donor cars that will work in your TGP....

With that being said, NONE of them will last more than a month or 2 in a TGP car. The TGP has a tranny that was ONLY used in the TGP.

There are a whole host a trannys from donor cars that will work in your TGP....

With that being said, NONE of them will last more than a month or 2 in a TGP car. The TGP has a tranny that was ONLY used in the TGP.

They are a lot of trannies that will bolt-up and would probably be ok, but you would want to drive it really nice.

so, what are the differences exactly?

Here are a few things listed in Jeff's stickied post at the top of the page.

"Tranny setup is unique, larger tranny cooling lines and an aux tranny cooler in fender well.

Hardened Gears and Gear Carrier Set.

Additional Nested Accumulator Springs, other little changes to the tranny, some not listed until it's taken apart for inspection.

1898 rpm Stall Converter, not a High-Stall as the stock turbo is not large enough to warrant it!

Vacuum Line Check Valve/Bleeder at Modulator, Vacuum Line has internal restictor in-line to limit boost pressure and to allow check/bleed to fuction."

Other than that, the valve bodies are different(they have "Turbo" stamped on them and provide firmer shifts. The shift speeds are also a bit different from NA versions).

LOL didnt I sell you the car for dirt cheap? I come back up a couple months later and the only thing left of it is in your sig ;)

I got my 4t60e/lq1 up and running so i can finally put the buick outta its misery