Lumina dash pad...

Z34-5speed

Ok. I'm getting ready(again) for another carshow in 2 weeks. So today I took my dashpad out to clean it and put in new speakers. It has a brown stain in the center and one on each side. I guess this is common b/c my old Z had the same thing. It is also warping to hell around the vent and speakers. Is there anything i can to do clean the brown shit off of it. I used a magic eraser to little success. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I found new ones on eBay ranging from $100-$125, i definately would have to save up a bit to pay for a new one, though it would be nice.

Kyle

*update*

I hot glued/JB welded the warping back down so that it will look better temporairily. The cleaning didn't really help, just took the dust off. I even JB welded the speaker covers into the dash cover so they are flush. :lol:

I know it will begin to warp in other places. It is warping worst on the bottom, i would've JB welded that but i ran out. :lol: I want to eventually replace all the "stuff" on the dash. (i don't know what to call it, fabric?)

If the vinyl didnt shrink backwards too much, i would drive screws around the edge, under the defrost vent. I did this on my cutlass, and you cant even tell that it used to be warped. If you do this, be sure to warm up the vinyl first before securing it, this way it is more pliable and will allow it to stretch slightly and fit tighter.

My Lumina's dash also is a peeling victim, although it is not nearly as bad as some I've seen.

Anyway, for cleaning, I'd try some moderately watered down all-purpose cleaner and a fairly soft brush to try and work it out of the vinyl. To be a little harder on it, a little tar remover on a rag may take it out as well. Note that if you go with the tar remover, do NOT go ape-sh1t with it, or you'll take the color out, especially if your dash is maroon/red.

As for a replacement, I'll keep an eye out at the yards here in the STL. I picked up a spare for my Lumina for $20 at a yard in NY.

mine is peeling up around the vent too,but my solution is that i am going to have a Lumina Z34 emblem plasma cut out of a piece of stainless or something that will fit around the vent openning and then attach it down with some nice shiny screws,so that it looks good and is also functional.i think that will look good.when i have it done i will post some pics so that anyone else with the same problem can maybe do the same thing.i am hoping it will look good,but you never know.have to wait and see i guess.

when i got my car my dashpad was pealing prety bad, i used a good 2 part epoxy and some c clamps to glue it back down, and it has been about 3 years now, and it still has yet to come up again.

http://www.krylon.com/main/color_product_viewer.cfm?productid=1751&sub_levelid=10&image_directory=/images/products/large/&image_name=fusion.jpg&image_alt=Krylon® Fusion

Krylon Fusion for Plastic can be used on hard vinyl, like your dash.

http://www.autobarn.net/duhipevifasp.html

Dupli-Color High Performance Vinyl & Fabric Spray can be used on just about anything. You would not believe what colors you can paint on vinyl.

I have used at one time Krylon Revitalizing Vinyl Spray, but I haven't seen it on the market for awhile, so I guess it's gone. I always liked that over the other stuff, but it did peel off after about 4 summers here in Texas.

if it is not shrunk real bad use a heat gun or hair dryer to form it back down toward the vent glue and clamp

i have fixed a few of them with good luck.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to my 92 Lumina where the dash was pulling up from the defrost opening. I used Pro Form PF224 Urethane Sealer/Adhesive on the dash. Take the dash out first, pull up the loose part of the dash, caulk the sealer under the pad and either clamp down or put something heavy on the area. Let dry - the longer the better - and reinstall in vehicle. The dash looks almost new again.

i ended up pulling mine out, putting the heat to it with a heat gun and then spreading 2 part epoxy under the edge of it, clamping it down for a few hours and it looks good as new again, can't even tell it had peeled up.

Dude, what color do you need? I think your Luminas interior is gray. Am I right? Let me know. I can get one of these in great shape for like $55 shipped right to your door. It would be in a used to close to perfect condition. I permently fixed mine using Gorilla Glue. that shit rocks! I actually peeled the dash back as much as I could so the glue could get into every spot to prevent future peeling. I spray the inside of the dash with a sprayed mist of water then lined the plastic with Gorilla glue. I then folded the dash cover back on to it and place it upside down on the edge of a table and then weighed it down with many heavy thing, causeing a clamp type holding position. I left it there for 12 hours. The glue works awesome. Its been two years and still hasn't changed. I can get you a used one off of a junk yrad car. Let me know.

708-309-2583 Eduardo