Passenger door won't open using outside door handle...FIXED!

SigEpCutlass

As the title states, my front passenger door won't open from the outside door handle. Back in late February the door froze shut and I practically had to force it open from the inside. I'm assuming that's where the problem started, as the door stopped opening from the outside shortly after I forced it open. I can still open the door from the inside handle. I tried last weekend to fix it, but I couldn't really tell how to adjust the linkages when I took the door apart. The linkage for the outside door handle did seem to have a bit of play to it, whereas the inside linkage was pretty taunt. My Haynes manual is incredibly vague on how to fix this.

Summary:

1994 Cutlass 4DR Sedan

Right front passenger door won't open from outside

Door opens ONLY from the inside

Locking mechanism is operating correctly both with a key and the power lock control

Appears linkage for outside handle needs adjustment

Anyone have any advice on how to adjust/fix the linkage(s)? If it's not the linkage, what do I need to fix? Thanks!

Do all the W-bodies have problems with door handles. 4 doors and 2 doors?

I would take the door panel off and see if you can get the outside door handle off and try to adjust the linkages.

Otherwise I would take it in, I can't stand doorhandles.

Do all the W-bodies have problems with door handles. 4 doors and 2 doors?

I would take the door panel off and see if you can get the outside door handle off and try to adjust the linkages.

Otherwise I would take it in, I can't stand doorhandles.

The door handle is not broken. I already took the door completely apart last weekend & put it back together (not looking forward to doing it again). It appears that when I pull the door handle, the linkage is too "loose" to complete the movement necessary to open the door. I was unable to figure out how to adjust the linkage attached to the door handle, as it had a bit of play to it. Honestly, I think I just need someone to advise me how to adjust the linkage.

I've ran into the problem several times in my install bay, those finicky rods getting slightly bent out of shape, and then you can't open the door.

If you can, take off your door panel. Then, pull on the interior door handle to see which rod is for that. Now, grab that rod and pull back towards the door handle, this should open the door. If this works, put a slight bend in the rod to tighten it up a bit.

Now, if this doesn't work, the part in the door jamp that actually holds the door closed and locks around that little rod may be jammed or gummed up. Get some WD40 or some Silicon Lubricant, and soak it down, and try again.

I don;t feel like expalining it fully. best thing to do is to tweek and stretch the rod, as the straighter it is the less propensity it has to bend further. then adjust the rod.

want more? PM me and we can talk on the phone.

I don;t feel like expalining it fully. best thing to do is to tweek and stretch the rod, as the straighter it is the less propensity it has to bend further. then adjust the rod.

want more? PM me and we can talk on the phone.

Pretty much what I said in my post. He may have to bend it a bit more to make it tighter.

Chris & Ken...your suggestions were exactly what I needed. I was very hesitant before to do anything with those rods. I got the door working correctly...it was just a matter of getting just the right amount of kink needed to ensure the rod was taunt enough. Thanks! :D

I have the same problem.

Are there any write-ups for removing the door panel? I was at the j/y a while back and I seriously laid an ass whooping into a door panel trying to get it off, I don't want to do this to mine.

I have the same problem.

Are there any write-ups for removing the door panel? I was at the j/y a while back and I seriously laid an ass whooping into a door panel trying to get it off, I don't want to do this to mine.

I posted these install guides in the Car Audio section:

http://www.wbodydb.com/tutorials/audioinstall/Cutlass88-93.pdf

That pretty much covers what I did to some extent. You're going to want to get one of these to ensure that you don't damage your door panel:

t_doorpanelremovaltooldeluxe.jpg

The above tool is a door panel removal tool that can be purchased at most any major auto parts store for less than $15.