Roof Pump Issue

GutlassSupreme

Hey guys,thanks for all the help latelty, im on another forum and car cloub religiously in my area and this club feels the same way as far as friednlyness as a community.

My pump for the roof needs a little tap while holding the button down just to get it going down, once i tap it, it is fine for about an hour or 2 as far as i know. Im not sure if it is because of the cold weather or what. i have to take a wrench and tap the housing whilre a friend press' the button. could this be a fix as simple as lubricating it/oiling?

than ks in advance, its just one of those small things that will make me enjoy the car more.

ok kool, well ast night i tried the roof again and it opened with out me haing an issue, closed aswell so im guessing its becuse of the cold. still going to try and re-oil it.

Brushes are what transfer the electricity to the motor. Because the motor turns around, it has to have something in constant contact with it, so it uses metal brushes with springs to hold them against the rotor. There are usually two of them on a standard DC motor. They are in holes covered by plugs with a slot for screwdriver. If you just open those, you will have access to the spring and brush. As the brush wears down the spring keeps it held against the rotor, however because it is uncompressing the pressure gets weaker the more it wears. This causes it to loose connectivity for very short (milisecond) intervals. It makes it seem like the motor doesn't have the power it once had. Once you replace the springs and brushes, it goes back to the original power. The motor itself never really "wears out" just the brushes which are designed to do so. You can usually get replacements at any major parts store.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

The people who "repaired" my pump told me that the magnets are glued in place. When one of the two magnets comes unglued you get this symptom you are talking about- I have it too. You press the button- nothing, repeat- same thing, then, voila! it moves. Other times it will engage the first time. They say this glue is a special kind of glue that's expensive. Mine worked for a while fine, but I have to take it back for a reglueing. Good luck, David