Rear coilovers for 95 Regal?

This is about 95 Regal. I was cursed with transverse monoleaf, but I still want to lower my rear by 2". I found some coilovers(not cheap), but I am afraid of removing my monoleaf and effect it will have on my handling(safety). Do you think it's safe to replace monoleaf with a coilover? These coilovers go for $680 a pair and I don't want to waste it for nothig. I need your honest opinion on this BIG(atleast for me) issue.

Thanx

Guest Anonymous

DON'T BUY THEM YET> Talk to bowtie kid on here. He sells coilovers for $459.99. See if his will work for you. I'm pretty sure they will but ask to make sure.

As for handling, I've heard the coilovers give almost the same ride as the monoleaf and better handling.

Guest TurboSedan

yeah, if you get them - get them from bowtiekid. the monoleaf acts as a swaybar somewhat, so it would be a good idea to get an Addco rear sway bar and/or rear strut tower brace when using coilovers. i have coilovers but i still don't have my Addco bar installed (i don't know what my problem is...) and i don't have a rear STB either. it handles just fine. it should handle awesome after i get the Addco bar in, buy new tires, and get the alignment done. you'll be able to lower the car much more than 2" if you want and you could probably raise the rear an inch or so above stock. for front coils i would suggest 1.5" drop springs from Suspension Techniques. they are only $80. i have 1.5" drop Eibach springs and they hardly lowered the car at all :( coilovers give a very nice ride IMO. i'm using KYB GR2 struts and the coilovers are from TwinDualCam. TDC isn't around anymore, but the coilovers that bowtiekid sells are superior and less $$ too.

joshua

2 questions - where did you find coilovers for $680??? what a ripoff.

Second, mr. Malibuolds, get the damn swaybar on there already!!! I sold you that like a frickin year ago! You don't know what you're missing out on my man!!!! :D - Tom

Guest TurboSedan

i know, i know heheh. i had it *almost* installed twice now. the first time i didn't have the holes drilled for the hangers. well i got that done. the second time i had it all ready to install and then realized i FORGOT the outer bushings and clamps at home! so basically i've had the rearend taken apart twice now, but i STILL don't have it in haha! i don't really have a place to work on my car here in Laramie, so i usually drive up to Gillette (4hrs away) and use my brothers garage to do car work. i'm going to try hard to get the thing in there when i go up there this week, and i'll take some pics too. i definately won't forget anything this time, and since i've had the rear apart a few times now i should have it in within an hour. oh yeah, i've also gotten a 34mm front bar, and i'll try to get that installed too.

joshua

i know, i know heheh. i had it *almost* installed twice now. the first time i didn't have the holes drilled for the hangers. well i got that done. the second time i had it all ready to install and then realized i FORGOT the outer bushings and clamps at home! so basically i've had the rearend taken apart twice now, but i STILL don't have it in haha! i don't really have a place to work on my car here in Laramie, so i usually drive up to Gillette (4hrs away) and use my brothers garage to do car work. i'm going to try hard to get the thing in there when i go up there this week, and i'll take some pics too. i definately won't forget anything this time, and since i've had the rear apart a few times now i should have it in within an hour. oh yeah, i've also gotten a 34mm front bar, and i'll try to get that installed too.

joshua

Come over to my house. i will help you put it in. i have a beautifull 4 car garage. I did the addco 474 on my lumina. it is pretty easy. I would HIGHLY recomend getting polly bushings. 7/8" greaseable Energy suspention bushings are now avalible at Autozone. you can use them, but the outer 2 you need to be drilled to fit the big ass strut bolts. but it was pretty easy. Also this is a must unless you want to redo it. Get new sway bar brackets for the inner bushings. the new brakets are SO MUCH better then stock. PM me if your interested.

Shane

if I can rig up some custom springs to pull the car down and leave the monoleaf on, could there be any problems with that? does anybody know what kind of load the monoleaf is rated for?

and does anybody know if there are FRONT sway bars available for my '92 anywhere? or has anybody tried strut tower braces and seen any improvement? anyplace that sells those at a reasonable price?

You can get a solid 34mm front swaybar that came with every 3.4DOHC car made from a junkyard for about $50. You'll have to get new bushings though.

That should be plenty stiff.

Question about coilovers: I'm a bit confused by something I found out. A 96 Camaro Z28 has 120# coils in the rear of the car. The w-body coilovers start at 225# and go as high as 400#. (I imagine the monoleaf is rated similar to the coilovers, probably softer. Anyone know stock ratings?)

Both cars are similar weight, why the soft springs on the Camaro or why the stiff springs on a W-body?

and does anybody know if there are FRONT sway bars available for my '92 anywhere? or has anybody tried strut tower braces and seen any improvement? anyplace that sells those at a reasonable price?

Post your car info. preferably in a SIG and i might be able to give you an answer. But i have F/R on my monte and highly recomend them They are from RSM. You can get cheaper ones from Heldmotorsport.com or you can make your won.

As for the swaybar go to w-body.com under the upgrades section and it will tell you what you have and whats avalible.

RedZ

You can get a solid 34mm front swaybar that came with every 3.4DOHC car made from a junkyard for about $50. You'll have to get new bushings though.

That should be plenty stiff.

Question about coilovers: I'm a bit confused by something I found out. A 96 Camaro Z28 has 120# coils in the rear of the car. The w-body coilovers start at 225# and go as high as 400#. (I imagine the monoleaf is rated similar to the coilovers, probably softer. Anyone know stock ratings?)

Both cars are similar weight, why the soft springs on the Camaro or why the stiff springs on a W-body?

As for the front bar being solid.. not sure on that i thought mine looked hollow on my 1992 Z34.

I just installed Energy suspention bushings on my front. they are poly and replace the stock rubber ones. so if you get the bar, which a junkyard will charge you WAY less then $50 for you can get the ES bushings i payed $33 for all 4 of mine on a group buy on EFI-street.

RedZ

Guest TurboSedan

yeah i'd like to come down to loveland sometime, but money is real tight right now. for my rear bar, i'm using the Addco inner hangers and poly bushings that came with the kit (a rather elaborate funky looking setup). my car didn't have a bar to begin with so i can't use the stock GM stuff. for the outer bushings and clamps, i got some from a '95 Brickyard Monte in the junkyard and they fit the bar great. Addco forgot to send the outer bushings with the bar (duh). i can mount the bar now, but unfortunately i'm going to have to grind down one of the inner hanger frame brackets so that it will fit flush against the frame :( i got my front bar from a DOHC '91 CS for $10, and it is hollow. i think the '91 GP w/FE3 suspension may have a stock 34mm front bar also.

joshua

yeah i'd like to come down to loveland sometime, but money is real tight right now. for my rear bar, i'm using the Addco inner hangers and poly bushings that came with the kit (a rather elaborate funky looking setup). my car didn't have a bar to begin with so i can't use the stock GM stuff. for the outer bushings and clamps, i got some from a '95 Brickyard Monte in the junkyard and they fit the bar great. Addco forgot to send the outer bushings with the bar (duh). i can mount the bar now, but unfortunately i'm going to have to grind down one of the inner hanger frame brackets so that it will fit flush against the frame :( i got my front bar from a DOHC '91 CS for $10, and it is hollow. i think the '91 GP w/FE3 suspension may have a stock 34mm front bar also.

joshua

its not like i am going to charge you for it. it will be about 1/2-3/4 tank. each way. i have the tools for it so it shouldn't be a problem getting it on.

RedZ

Guest TurboSedan

well i finally got the Addco bar in! woohoo! that bar DRAMATICALLY stiffens up the rear end. it seems easier to make the car understeer now....too much power around a tight corner and the car gets shoved forward depite steering effort. hopefully my 34mm front bar will help with this. the ride is still comfortable but noticably stiffer. i still wouldn't call it harsh by any means. also, the steering wheel seems stiffer, and it's definately more responsive. the stupid addco inner hangers hold the bar up too high tho :( and the bar hits my exhaust *and* the 2 big bolts that hold the big lateral suspension arms near the center (right above jack mount pad). so...i guess i'm going to have to use some spacers and space the bar away from the frame a little more (so the bar hangs maybe an inch lower). surprisingly it isn't loud and doesn't really bang against stuff, altho i can tell my exhuast resonates a little more because the bar is resting on it. now i just need to get my 34mm front bar in there....and new tires....an alignment....KYB front struts...front STB...it never ends :)

joshua