CAN'T FIND CV HALFSHAFTS FOR A GETRAG 282...WTF???

Miko K

ughhh. of course. one on ebay was the wrong side and no abs. again dont understand y this is so hard. guess ill have to switch the inners

Well, I guess the cheapest and easiest way for a decent 282 swap would be the reman axles from NAPA and switch the outer cups for ABS users. This for other people doing the swap in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone given this a go yet? I'm finding it quite impossible to take the outer cups off my auto axles.. seems like there's a snap ring holding the shaft in, but I can't figure out how to get to it. It might be easier just to dremel the rings off and weld them onto the manual axles at this point...

dikes get those things right off. are the drvie and passenger side the same length? would i be able to just grab an auto axle and pop on the manual inner?

Yep, I got the clips out, you need a nice c-clip(or whtever it is called) removal pliers and they come out easy.

yea, but how do you get to it?

DSCN0622%20(Small).JPG

No, they are different lengths.

Yep, I got the clips out, you need a nice c-clip(or whtever it is called) removal pliers and they come out easy.

yea, but how do you get to it?

The piece that locks into the splines on the shaft itself has a slot (which is on the bottom side of the shaft, I can see it on your pic) and align the c-clip with it and spread it apart and it comes out.

• 1 month later...

has anyone successfully found a passenger side 282 axle? period? even non-abs? are anybodies part numbers correct? i can't fucking put my car on the ground and it's getting aggravating.

I fail to see what is so difficult...

what's so difficult is that they're all the wrong fucking axle. every number napa has is for an auto axle. someone said their autozone axle was too short. i'm asking if anyone has a part number where they have gone to the store, received the axle, put it in there car and it fit properly.

not too sure if i can be much help, however a friend of mine had a 88' Cs 2.8/282 a few years back, and i had this same problem with the pass side axle, we ended up finding one at a yard with torn boots, and as i recall i had to take one end off of it and replaced the boot that way and then put the other boot on at that time too ( don't know how much sense that makes to you, but in the end it got me a decent axle that outlived the car.

I fail to see what is so difficult...

what's so difficult is that they're all the wrong fucking axle. every number napa has is for an auto axle. someone said their autozone axle was too short. i'm asking if anyone has a part number where they have gone to the store, received the axle, put it in there car and it fit properly.

Yes, the first part numbers I gave you w/o abs are the same ones put in my 89 Grand Prix I had recently... It was a 5-speed...