Okay guys, I need your help again (Model writeups)

digitaloutsider

I'm going to need short model synopses to put on each model's page. They need to cover when the car was introduced, what features were added at what point, and when it underwent major changes. I simply DO NOT have the time to do this all myself.

I need the following done:

First Generation:

Grand Prix

Cutlass Supreme

Lumina

Regal

Second Generation:

Grand Prix

Regal

Century

Intrigue

Monte Carlo

Impala

Here's an example: http://w-body.com/testing/content.php?deliver=fggrandprix

Please guys, can anyone lend a hand?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digitaloutsider

• IRONDOG442

• Euro

• pwmin

I will write you a write up on the Intrigue if you want, all you gotta do is ask I know more about them and I can write better than that link that was posted about them...

I was actually about to PM you to write one about the Intrigue :lol:. That would be great. Thanks for stepping up and helping! Naturally, you'll be credited on the model page.

The second generation of Grand Prixs utilizing the W platform appeared in 1997, where it recieved a major facelift. Two trim levels were available in 1997: the SE, which featured a 160hp 3.1L V6, and the GT which featured the 195hp 3800 Series II V6. The GTP was an option package up until 1998, which added an Eaton M90 supercharger to the 3800 V6, packing a punch at 240hp. These engines were mated to a 4T60E 4-Speed Automatic Transmission, 4T65E, and 4T65E-HD, respectively. All trims were available in two flavors: 2-door coupe` or 4-door saloon.

1998: Traction control was added for the GTP. Airbags were "depowered" to deploy with reduced force.

1999: The most notable change was the addition of the GTP trim, rather than an option package on top of the GT trim. New options included a Bose 8-speaker audio system and a heated driver's seat. The N/A 3.8L v6 gained 5hp where it would be rated as 200hp.

2000: Wheels were revised and the nose restyled. The SE models with the 3.1L V6 gained 15 horsepower, boosting it to 175hp. New standard equipment included rear child-seat anchors, and Passkey antitheft system which disabled the starter unless the proper ignition key was used.

2001: OnStar, formerly available on all Grand Prixs, was made standard on GTP, optional only on GT. SE got revised frontal styling, standard rear spoiler, and in-trunk emergency release. Dual-zone manual climate-control was standard on GTP, replaced the digital automatic climate control. The once-offered "Performace Shift" was also discontinued because of transmission problems.

2002: The SE gained standard cruise control and dual-zone climate control, and GTs got a standard power driver's seat and CD player.

Second generation Grand Prixs would be seen up until 2003, where production was moved from the Fairfax, Kansas plant to Ontario, Canada, making way for a revised version of the W platform in 2004.

Limited Editions

This generation of Grand Prix offered many different limited and special edition packages.

GTX

Introduced in 1998, the Grand Prix engineered by SLP, brought the supercharged engine found in the GTP to 300hp by adding a functional Ram Air hood, cold air induction, and SLP exhaust.

Daytona 500 Pace Car

The Limited Edition model of the 1998 Grand Prix Daytona 500 Pace Car features some unique enhancements, including: Ram Air hood, Gulf Blue paint, unique torque star 16" aluminum wheels and the 40th annual Daytona 500 cloisonne door emblems and decals.

Special Edition

Option "B4U" in 2001 offered the Special Edition appearance package which featured many unique options, including: Hood with vented heat extractors, NASCAR-inspired roof rails and rear spoiler, two-tone interior, unique 16" chrome wheels, and dual outlet dual exhaust.

40th Anniversary Edition

Much like the Special Edition package in 2001, Pontiac celebrates the Grand Prix's 40th anniversary by offering a unique 40th Anniversary Edition Grand Prix. It featured many of the same appearance options as the Special Edition such as two-tone interior, Hood with vented heat extractors, NASCAR-inspired roof rails and rear spoiler, and unique 16" chrome wheels. All 40th Anniversary Grand Prixs were sold as a unique dark metallic purple, which symbolizes 40 great years of the Pontiac Grand Prix.

what kind of time frame are we looking at? I wouldn't have a problem with covering the 1st gen regals, as well as the cutlass. I'll just try and make some time to get it done.

Steve: Thank you very much! FTW!

Chris: That'd be awesome if you could.

Dustin (right?): nebojsa has got the Cutlass covered, but we do still need the first-gen Regal.

Dustin (right?): nebojsa has got the Cutlass covered, but we do still need the first-gen Regal.

Yup, thats right. No problems there, I'll do the write up for the regal.

I guess heat extractors would be the correct name for those vent-things :lol: I'll change that.

I'm not sure if there were limited editions in 2003, I could be wrong though :dunno:

they were called limited edition and had white face gauges and im not sure beyond that. also, what about the 01 daytonas?

edit: (from consumer guide automotive online) "A new Limited Edition option package for SE and GT includes chrome alloy wheels and exhaust tips, blue-tint foglamps, a decklid spoiler, and white-face gauges" i thought they had polished torque stars but i could be wrong

from cargurus (a little contradictory): "A Limited Edition Package for the GT and GTP again gives them a new spoiler, badging, white gauges, blue foglights, and seats with leather inserts to keep you from moving around when chasing curves."

Here ya go... Yes I wrote this entirely and for the record I used no references.

The Oldsmobile Intrigue started off life as any other production car, as a prototype, it was unveiled at the 1995 North American International Auto Show of 1995. The car was displayed first at the Detroit Auto Show and branded Antares. Designed by an exceptional up and coming African American Designer named Ed Welburn. The car was an immediate success earning the Media and Public’s favorite concept of the NAIAS award as voted by press agents and the general public as the best looking car of the show.

Right around the time that this car was being dreamed up by engineers and designers at Oldsmobile, General Motors was attempting to restructure Oldsmobile’s image and public perception as part of their “Rocketing into the Next Century†ad campaign spearheaded by the new slogan “Start Something†which celebrated the new direction Oldsmobile was going to be headed into it’s next 100 years, the turning point and release of the newly designed cars to begin shortly after their Centennial Celebration on August 21, 1997. Already their marketing direction had changed and even Oldsmobile’s logo changed from the Vertical Rocket logo or “chicken foot†as enthusiasts call it, to the ovular side sweeping rocket as seen as early as 1996 on some LSS 88 Sedans.

With this huge change in marketing brought an entire new lineup featuring cars designed to specifically rival the image, quality, fit, and finish of successful selling import vehicles especially Honda and Toyota. Many say the Intrigue came too early or too late depending on who you ask. Oldsmobile made an announcement that after 1997 one could no longer order any Oldsmobile passenger car with a bench seat and column shift in order to ditch their former geriatric image. All of these changes with the later addition of the sporty new Alero (N-body) which replaced the aging and somewhat stodgy Achieva brought a promising outlook and new hope for an otherwise stale and weak division. There were literally no outside markings that identified the new 1998 Intrigue as an Oldsmobile because GM wanted to give their new can an Intriguing appearance.

The Intrigue was introduced to replace the Cutlass Supreme later than hoped, in May 1997 as an early '98 model The “premium†V-6 Northstar based Dual Overhead cam engine specifically designed for the car was not ready at the time of the launch, and as a result the workhorse of the GM thoroughbreds, the L36, 3.8 liter-231 cubic inch, pushrod v-6 was offered as the only available power plant. This 195 horsepower engine propelled the car to a 15.2 sec Elapsed Quarter mile time at 87.54 miles per hour and the car was offered as a single model designation with virtually any option offered as a stand alone option. The cars base price was $22,975 and standard equipment was generous which included power windows, power door locks, keyless entry, cruise control, alloy wheels, tilt steering wheel, power mirrors, power steering, power brakes, 4 wheel anti lock disc brakes, and auto head lamp/twilight sentinel.

For the 1999 model year the car’s premium LX-5 “Shortstar†V-6 engine was finally ready for it and offered on GL and GLS models as an option and the L36 was offered standard on GX models. This proved to be yet another immediate success much like the car itself; the engine was awarded one of the Ward’s Top Ten engines, an absolutely incredible accolade considering the fact that it was a first year design. Wards said “probably nowhere else can you buy such performance and high tech engineering at such a low priceâ€Â. The engine produced 215 horsepower and 230 pound feet of torque propelling it to a 15.0 second at 90.78 mph quarter mile elapsed time run. Drivers of the car reported and absolutely stunning 50-90 mph response time due to the cars usable power band at virtually all RPMs. The only downside of the engine is that it was very expensive to produce and very time consuming to build.

Very few changes were made to this car with the exception of the elimination of the L36 being put into these vehicles in 2000 and the LX-5 was the only power plant offered from 2000 till the 2002 model year. Alloy rim styles were changed in 2000, as well as a new stability control system called Precision Control System or PCS was added to the options list which included a YAW control sensors and variable braking leveling active suspension system. In 2001 Intrigues were equipped with ON STAR and in 2002 a driver’s side lumbar seat, two tone leather seats, and a new headliner material was introduced. Each year offered different colors, the easiest way to identify the difference between years is either the exterior color or the style of alloy rims it was riding on. In 2002 the final Intrigues rolled off the Fairfax, Kansas assembly line. In celebration of the last 500 Intrigues produced in 2000 Oldsmobile offered primarily a appearance collectors edition package called the “Intrigue Final 500†which could be identified by a Black Cherry Metallic exterior finish, cloisonné Final 500 Oldsmobile Globe emblems, 17 inch chrome alloy Aurora wheels, special trimmed interior and a certificate verifying the production number of each car that rolled off the final assembly line.

Oldsmobile loved their Intrigues and used many different 2000 and 2001 models for test platforms to market aftermarket and specialty parts which were shown at SEMA in Las Vegas in 2000, AutoWeek magazine reviewed the Oldsmobile Specialty Vehicle or OSV Intrigue concept car which debuted at that show, which featured Candy Apple Red Ghost paint, over sized wheels, a performance braking system, and a supercharged LX-5 v-6 and later a production 4.0 liter Aurora v-8 power Forest Green Intrigue OSV. The latter of which were literally only months away from actually being produced, according to Special Vehicle Division Manager Richard Balsley. Other special Intrigues specifically for showing purposes were also constructed some off which included the Intrigue Saturday Night Cruiser (a pearl yellow custom 2000 Intrigue), the Polar Bear Intrigue (a white 2001 with custom wheels a polar bear painted on the side and a freezer in the trunk with dual buckets in the back), the SC-3 Intrigue a Zebra/Tiger Striped Intrigue with custom wheels Pearl Blue paint job and custom interior and exhaust, and last but certainly not least the Intrigue 442 which had a Custom body kit, custom w-25 Outside Air Induction Hood, custom wheels, custom interior, pearl white and gold finish, and a performance Aurora V-8. The OSV idea was abandoned only due to General Motor’s decision to phase put the Oldsmobile division which was announced to the pubic in December of 2000.

There are a variety of theories as to Oldsmobile was phased out, some say it was due to General Motor’s over coverage of the same market, some say it was due to the fact that Oldsmobile simply wasn’t making enough profit, or others have said that the Intrigue specifically cost too much money to produce with the engine and the quality of parts used in it’s assembly. I have heard that each Intrigue produced actually cost GM $2,500 per unit of loss. The Alero was the last Oldsmobile which rolled out of Lansing on April 29, 2004 . All things considered the Intrigue was an excellent car that provided the customer excellent value, superb reliability, and outstanding service.

-Robert J. Eye

First Generation (2000-2005)

In 2000, Chevrolet introduced the Chevrolet Impala, the replacement for the aged

Chevy Lumina. This sedan shared a nameplate with the earlier Caprice-based super

sedan, but instead of a V8 on a RWD platform, the 2000 and up Impala was based

on the second generation revision of the W-Body platform.

The base model came with a 3.4L 60* V6 engine, while the LS and higher came

standard with the more powerful 3800 60* V6, RPO code L36. All cars came with

four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, air conditioning, power locks, and a four-speed

electronically controlled automatic transmission. LS trim level Impalas came with

side-impact airbags, traction control, and a firmer suspension.

In 2001, OnStar was a standard option on the LS trim level.

In 2002, dual-zone climate controls and the cassette deck became standard for all

base Impalas.

2003 saw OnStar become an option on the LS, and remote keyless entry became

standard for all Impalas. Satellite radio became an option, with XM's service

available for install.

2004 saw the performance version, the Impala SS, with the RPO code L67

Supercharged 3800 engine, sport suspension, and 17-inch aluminum wheels.

2005 was the last year for the original W-Body Impala design, and the SS gains

chrome 17-inch wheels, along with new headrests and different trim on the

outside. LS now offers a front bench seat.

The Chevrolet Impala was spoken very highly of by various and sundry automotive

magazines and consumer report periodicals, as the styling was unquestionably

American in the face of other car companies' (sometimes successful) attempts at

creating an import image to cater to a more diverse taste. Indeed, the Impala

found it's market, and became one of, if not the best selling large sedan in

America, with close to 300,000 cars sold in 2004.

It has also taken on success in another market, with the 9C1 RPO code

designating a Police package including the L36 3800 engine, harder suspension,

and a special "surveillance mode", allowing the entire lighting system to be

deactivated at the push of a button.

Second Generation (2006-2009)

The newest incarnation of the Impala is on the revised third-generation W-Body

platform, and is the first use of a front wheel drive V8 in a Chevrolet, the 5.3L

making 303hp. New front headlamps and taillamps round out the update, as well

as the completely redesigned interior, with chrome and woodgrain accents on the

center console and streamlined dashboard.

In 2007, the 3.9L V6 was added to the engine roster, and a few exterior accents

became available. Also, the Impala replaced the venerable Monte Carlo nameplate

in NASCAR stock car racing.

The redesigned Impala is already proving competitive, having won the "Fleet Car of

the Year" award in 2006 and 2007, as well as the 2006 CAA Pyramid Award for

Environmental Initiatives in response to the FlexFuel Impala, which is able to run on

Ethanol E-85 fuel.

John Wallace (GP1138)

Since when are Caprice's "Super Sedans?"

Read closer, it was referring to the Impala as a "Caprice-based" super sedan. The wording was just my own little bit of hyperbole. :lol: