Automotive Finishes

5speedz34

I was wondering if anyone can give me a website with info and pictures on different paint options. I want paint my car sometime soon (who knows when honestly). I want to go with a bright white like Jays lumina, alot of clear for some depth. I need to find out info on metallic flake and pearl.

I'm thinking maybe a real light metallic flake on the car? I don't know.

This thread makes me LOL because that car is never getting painted. He hasn't even filed a claim with the moving company that dented the top of his trunk.

Sorry Tony, you just procrastinate to much to have a project car.

This thread makes me LOL because that car is never getting painted. He hasn't even filed a claim with the moving company that dented the top of his trunk.

i think alot of ppl on the forum do

Stay the fuck out of my thread.

A. It it wasn't a moving company

B. It was a friend of a family so there is no "claim" to file. Considering the car doesn't run it's kinda a pain in the ass to get a estimate.

C. Don't bother posting in my thread unless you have something constructive to say. Next time you do I'm reporting you to a moderator.

Anyways back on topic.

I plan on posting pics of the car. I guess I need opinion on what shade of white I should get. Looking at the pics I have of the car the stock color is almost fine. I need opinions on whether or not I should get a metallic flake or a pearl in the paint. In the pics I have it almost looks pearl to me! Probably mostly because of the flash.

whitepearl2x1.jpg

^ That has just under the amount of pearl I would go with.

Whether or not I go with pearl or flake either way its going to be subtle.

Personally, Id go with more pearl. I love the look of it.

Yeah, I do too, but the thing is everyone is telling me its for a luxury vehicle.

14108825-1sm.jpg

7bc0_3.JPG

The aurora is too creamy of a white, and the bonneville is just to much pearl.

its not for a luxury vehicle! I hate that awful white on the aurora, the bonne is awesome! although some pearl could be taken out.

I think if you took a little bit of pearl out of the bonne and made it a tad darker, that would look tits!

b550_4.JPG

b543_4.JPG

That's White Lightning. I don't know even that seems a little to dark. Pearl is a little much to.

What does pearl do to paint, and what does metallic do to paint?

IMO...

Pearl gives a more smooth look to it, and gives it kinda a more classier/luxury look. When it's dirty, I think it's hard to tell that the paint is anything more special than just a normal paint job.

Metallic flake makes the paint stand out a bit more. Makes it look shiny even if it is dirty. And, when it is clean, it really shines in the light.

IMO...

Pearl gives a more smooth look to it, and gives it kinda a more classier/luxury look. When it's dirty, I think it's hard to tell that the paint is anything more special than just a normal paint job.

Metallic flake makes the paint stand out a bit more. Makes it look shiny even if it is dirty. And, when it is clean, it really shines in the light.

Like I said find me a white metallic flake.

I talked to the guys at the body shop and all they told me was that when you have "flake" IE metallic, it lays nice but when you see the car from a ways away it looks as if it is blotchy. That is due to the car having flake that looks different from different angles. If you had a dark color it'd be all good. I'd love to paint a car the Flint Mica color of the dk gray scions, it's almost like TGP black paint.

Tony, your interior is red correct? If so i'd go with a very light red pearl in the clear coat. It'd accent your interior and look different. Franz from FDP had "rose" pearl on his hood i believe and it looked great. If our cars were bigger and not as sharp, i'd say to go with the stock DTS pearl, as it is my favorite. What ever you decide to do check with some autobody places that know, i know you'll research it.

I know the owner of Show & Go customs in Detroit and they paint a lot of low riders and custom colored donks, slabs, bubbles etc. A shop such as them would be your best bet, rather than a body shop which paints collision cars all the time back to factory specs. I hope you research this topic extensively before you choose. If there is anything i can help with I will. I also have a good friend who paints at Walters collision on 13 between groesbeck and utica(It has a big concrete elephant on the roof). His name is ANDY and he is the painter there, stop by and talk to him if you can, or just call him and have him call you back. Later Jay

Z34013.jpg

Z34004.jpg

P5180055.jpg

P5180059.jpg

P5180049.jpg

P5180051.jpg

Those are probably the best pics I have.

White93Z34, doesn't think I should get the car painted since the body is so straight aside from that dent. He thinks I should get the the dent straightened out and call it a day.

But I don't know, part of me doesn't but part of me does. Maybe mostly since non-stock paint jobs never stick as well as oem?

Maybe I'll get the dent fixed, a front end repainted, some trim replaced, and get the trunk lock shaved?