OK...now I'm SCARED!

gmrulz4u

My 89 Supreme has 110,000 Miles(190,000km's) on it, and tomorrow I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for the first time ever. Now I've got repsonse from some of you guys saying you use it and are happy with it, but lastnight I decided to search Google groups by typing in "cutlass supreme synthetic oil" and it seemed like everything was negative!!?? Stories of major leaks, engines blowing, engines knocking badly etc...

So what the heck is going on here??

Should I still change and just ignore those posts??

How many Miles or KM's were on your guys' car when you switched to synthetic? Did you have any leaks or problems after that?

THANKS AGAIN:)

My 89 Supreme has 110,000 Miles(190,000km's) on it, and tomorrow I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for the first time ever. Now I've got repsonse from some of you guys saying you use it and are happy with it, but lastnight I decided to search Google groups by typing in "cutlass supreme synthetic oil" and it seemed like everything was negative!!?? Stories of major leaks, engines blowing, engines knocking badly etc...

So what the heck is going on here??

Should I still change and just ignore those posts??

How many Miles or KM's were on your guys' car when you switched to synthetic? Did you have any leaks or problems after that?

THANKS AGAIN:)

Go with a synthetic blend first if you want. Thats what I'm running...not counting the last change I did with Chevron oil (if it's as good as their gas, well!)

Consider it this way, out of the factory, GM's Corvette C5 uses Mobil 1 and recommends using only Mobil 1. Many other maufacturers such as Porsche and Mercedes use Mobil 1 out of the factory as well. Obviously expensive cars require expensive synthetic oils. Synthetic offers the absolute best protection over any other oil. I can't necessary say that it'll save you from blowing your engine, but it'll give you better protection than conventional oil. The thing is, it flows a lot better than conventional oil, so if your engine is already leaking, then it's going to leak even worse with sythetic. And as far as blowing your engine, that can be due to many different factors. Remember, if it's good enough for Formula 1 racing cars, then it should be more than enough for your street-car. I use Mobil 1 in my Audi and my Buick and I have no complaints at all.

I used a synthetic oil on my 94 CS Convertible before with 3.4 DOHC and right after i switched my car started to burn oil like crazy and after a 200 miles i had to add a botther of oil. It might be just me but after i changed oil with regular oil didnt burn it anymore. :roll:

I personally would stick to conventional oil.

I use Wal-mart SuperTech in my Cutty, and it's plenty good enough to get the thing to 197k miles with no internal engine problems.

Doesn't burn oil, doesn't leak oil, has no oil problems whatsoever.

Ran the same stuff in Penny's '88 Cutty and it has 188k on it now (or something like that). I think it's 78-cents a qt these days!

A 130HP 2.8L is not a high-performance engine, so I think spending extra for synthetic is not really worthwhile unless you've got a really built-up 2.8L.