'Service Engine Soon' message

Barcourse

Vehicle is running at 50-65 mph on highway. I take my foot off the gas pedal to let the car slow down. 'Service engine soon' warning light comes on and stays on for along time. No perceptible effect on engine. Behaving this way for 3 years! Have tried to fix it. Can't diagnose cause. Any ideas?

I had that problem when i had my beretta with the 3100. I ran the codes, said egr, but it didn't have the problems the egr would create. We replaced it anyways, same problem. Finally got it into a shop, they ran a vacuum test, and the intake manifolds were all carboned up. They cleaned them out, and after that, no problems.

Once upon a time when I had my Dodge Dynasty, when I would accelerate over 45mph, then drop back down below 45mph, it would cause the Check Engine light to come on. Turned out to be a bad MAP sensor, which I don't even know if your car has one or not. :roll:

Aaron

If it's when you let off the gas, sounds like an EGR failure / problem.

However, to get what the ECM is reading, check this: OBDI ECM Codes

Let us know what code and we'll go from there!

- RedFox340

Mine did the same thing until that light burned out! problem solved!! :) :) :lol: