Amp ground in 1997 grand prix

Dirtbikindud

So i have just got a 97 grand prix as a hand-me-down car( :willynilly:).i was putting in a thicker guage wiring kit and discovered that the original ground wire is longer than the new one (about a 4 ft wire). Does anyone know of a good place to ground to in the trunk that would be close enough?

Try to make your ground as short as possible. I, personally, would keep from using a seat bolt, as they are generally rusted, and are usually zinc coated(not a good ground). I personally would ground it to the floor, as they usually have a lot more spot welds holding it to the frame of the vehicle, than say the rear deck(basically, less resistance, not that you may notice it, but your amp may run a bit better).

Try to make your ground as short as possible. I, personally, would keep from using a seat bolt, as they are generally rusted, and are usually zinc coated(not a good ground).

The shit you learn here.. I always figured that would be a good place to ground.

well i just spent an hour looking for a good place to ground and gave up...i found some good spots but only having 3 ft of wire limits your area to put it in. also im tryin to keep it as clean as possible so i was planning on finding a good little lip on the floor but once again having only 3 ft sucks so imma go find some more 8ga wire somewhere. thanks for the tips much appreciated.

well i just spent an hour looking for a good place to ground and gave up...i found some good spots but only having 3 ft of wire limits your area to put it in. also im tryin to keep it as clean as possible so i was planning on finding a good little lip on the floor but once again having only 3 ft sucks so imma go find some more 8ga wire somewhere. thanks for the tips much appreciated.

the shorter the ground the better...

Mine goes to the rear seat belt mount. There was no rust there, I scraped off the paint and squished the wire between the belt mount and the floor. I have yet to have any problems with it.

What about just drilling and tapping a hole into one of the strut towers? Or for that matter use one of the bolts on top of the strut towers.

Jamie

i was planning on having my amp on the rear of the box in about the middle behind the seat. ill look into some of those spots today i have nothing better to do lol.

So.. your saying once you sanded the spot, then grounded it, you painted over it, or you sanded it, painted it, then grounded it?

Either way, something I wouldn't really recommend.

Well seeing as painting it before would make no sense in sanding it, yes i did paint it after but just because the ground that was used before had a fair bit of rust around it and the area i had sanded was a little larger than i had expected to make it.

Painting it may not be a great idea... Paint can get between the wires and the metal via capillary action and ruin your connection. If your worried about rust I woudl recommend trying some dielectric grease and spreading it on the area. Or you could get a peice of vapour barrier (that plastic they put on house walls between the insulation and the drywall), get a square of that stuff and put a bead of silicone around the area and seal the area in with the plastic. If you don't get what I'm saying I will doodle something up in MSPaint.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

cant get better than that. :wink: drill right into the frame rail next to the strut tower through the floor. if you look under the car its just to the left of the base of the right strut tower. I have to use two 2 gauge wires. one thats like 10 inches long going from the tower stud to the battery. the other into the floor and goes to the 3 farad cap so hopefully pulls most of the instant power from the alt ground rather than the batt ground.

just trying to make it as easy as possible for the power to go where it wants to. I have killed so many batteries in the past and got a new lifeline Im gonna put to the test. It has to back-up 2100 watts.

• 2 weeks later...

they call it a superbee 165. Its painted black custom built with bigger stator and other beefed up internals. cost me $300 at PM alternater. not even stock on a 1990 tgp.

I just got another cs130D out of a 95 GP in the junkyard down the street. for the other car. I got new style starters and alternaters for both cars now.

I want a "bandaid "on the battery. thats why I have it. that way theres a little buffer between there and its not so harsh on it. were talking about a $180 battery here. although the goal is to destroy it within the 1 year warranty and I guarantee it wont last 6 months. :wink:

Isn't 165 the amperage the stock alt puts out? or is that 105? Or are they 130amp? I can never remember, lol.

If I get any bigger of a stereo, I'll probably upgrade to a 200 or so amp alternator...

Isn't 165 the amperage the stock alt puts out? or is that 105? Or are they 130amp? I can never remember, lol.

If I get any bigger of a stereo, I'll probably upgrade to a 200 or so amp alternator...

Stock alt is 100amp. They may have increased it to 105 for the newer cars however.