• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RareGMFan

• IRONDOG442

• Addicted To Boost

• Jeff M

As far as the TGP's are concerned, atleast for the next few years, I go by what I was taught as a kid: A car's only worth so much if you can find a buyer. Put time, effort, and, in the case of the TGP's, enough money into it, it will reflect the owner.

Although, funny, true story, I was paid $2500 for my TGP and it was DEAD. Used car dealer looked up the price, and it happened to run when I brought it over to him. Thank God those days are over. No more bullshit fixes. But still, $2500 dead is a good deal.

Anyone ever wonder why the value of a 1990 TGP is higher than a 1989? I mean, there were less '89s made, despite the numbers, and even if there was an equal number made, why would it be less?

TGP's are definitely only worth something to people who like them. I don't see how someone could pay anymore than $1000 for a '90 W-Body with a lot of miles on it. :lol:

NADA seems right, but edmunds is complete bullshit. :rolleyes:

They're both way off. Edmunds is way too low, and NADA is way too high (on every car, not just the TGPs). KBB usually has the fairest/most accurate value listings from what I've seen.

NADA seems right, but edmunds is complete bullshit. :rolleyes:

They're both way off. Edmunds is way too low, and NADA is way too high (on every car, not just the TGPs). KBB usually has the fairest/most accurate value listings from what I've seen.

According to KBB TGP's don't exist.

yea they say other cars like hondas and toyotas hold their value more so people pay more for them. but then you buy one and you are the one stuck driving it as punishment. :lol:

people want TGPs because they are the only Ws with a turbo. and because they can go for 350 k miles on the original motor.

eventually I want to get a newer W that got the aluminum subframe and turbo it. the way they depreciate I should be able to do it pretty cheap here in a few years. but then I got to learn OBD-poo. :confused:

Cars are not a good financial investment...

Fixed!

As for value, I've seen them go for well over $7k several times in mint condition with low miles. How many other 16+ year old American cars (or for that matter, imports) can you say that about?

I can list cars, too. My point was, there aren't that many, other than highly collectible automobiles. It may not be worth a ton, but in proportion to its age, the TGP/TSTEs are definitely in a higher group than the average car when it comes to value.

I can list cars, too. My point was, there aren't that many, other than highly collectible automobiles. It may not be worth a ton, but in proportion to its age, the TGP/TSTEs are definitely in a higher group than the average car when it comes to value.

:thumb: ;)

TGP?? Value???? LOL

W-bodies are not a good financial investment...

You laugh, but Ive seen them last WAYY longer than alot of other cars on the road :lol:

AGREED !

(my OLD '92 GP w/ 3.1 had 218k miles on it.....GREAT condition, unbelievable!

ALTHOUGH - the GP GT I just bought a few months ago, only has 80,5XX miles on it right now, and I think the headgasket is going!?

I just had to drop it off to get the block tested today (I guess it COULD be a waterpump or something...but the thermostat was already replaced when I got it)

--fricking heat's not working and the temp gauge is going UP and DOWN hardcore !

260-270 degrees, BOTH fans coming on, when sitting in traffic for like 15-20 seconds ! :damnit1:

And I think a 'good' to 'more-than-good' condition TGP is DEF worth more than 1,000 b/c they're NEAT as hell! AQ9 interior is BAD ASS! Luv those rear buckets!

Cars are not a good financial investment...

Fixed!

As for value, I've seen them go for well over $7k several times in mint condition with low miles. How many other 16+ year old American cars (or for that matter, imports) can you say that about?

RARE even though you dominate, I am going to have to disagree with you there, most collectors dont even know that the 89 and 90 TGP even exist, I consider myself a car collector and until I joined this forum I knew nothing about them.. I like them and think they are desirable to some people (especially on here) but I'd never spend $7,000 on one and that is about 1/3 of what they cost new....

And as for your question....

I will leave out the obvious (muscle cars of the 1960 and 70s, the 50s cars, and the 30-40s coupes).

You asked!!! So here are some of just the few worth mentioning;

Virtually any Corvette, most nice Z-28s or Trans Ams, Syclones, Typhoons, Grand Nationals GNXs, Deloreans, Cutlass Supreme Convertibles, Avanti IIs, Ex Caliburs, Stutz Blackhawks, Bricklins, Virtually any Pace Car, Allantes, Buick Reatta, SS 454 1500 Pick ups, Mustangs, Cobras, etc, etc... I won't even get started on imports... And those are all 80's and early 1990s cars that are said as a whole to be not worth collecting.

And as for the cars arent good investments comment.... tell that to the guy who paid $200,000 for the 1954 Pontiac Bonneville Special or the guy who paid $175,000 for the 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 both of which sold in the past 2 years for over 2 million dollars each. As a general rule however MOST cars aren't good investments.

Not wanting to start a huge debate here but I think the value of these cars is between Edmunds and KBB's figures. Doesn't mean that they wont take off out of sight in the future I am saying for right now.

A nice conservative appraisal site I use for older cars is called VMR International, I figure If I can buy the cars for the price they list on there I stand to make a profit.

http://www.vmrintl.com

Mustangs, Cobras, etc, etc... And those are all 80's and early 1990s cars that are said as a whole to be not worth collecting.

Hmmm... good to know- I'm selling my Mustang Cobra this summer! :mrgreen:

RARE even though you dominate, I am going to have to disagree with you there, most collectors dont even know that the 89 and 90 TGP even exist, I consider myself a car collector and until I joined this forum I knew nothing about them.. I like them and think they are desirable to some people (especially on here) but I'd never spend $7,000 on one and that is about 1/3 of what they cost new....

Well, I'm not debating their collect-ability at this point. My comments were in response to a statement saying they're worthless. I was merely saying while they're not serious collector car valued, they certainly fair better than the average w-body. And I understand you, and many others, would never pay $7k for a TGP, but that's personal preference, just as there are many who would say the same thing about a GN, or a Syclone. But many others would, and have paid that much for one. An '89 TGP just sold for $8,500 on eBay a few weeks ago. I also watched one very close to me get just shy of $8k twice, reserve not met. The guy selling it bought it off eBay himself for a little over $8k a couple months prior to listing it.

Virtually any Corvette, most nice Z-28s or Trans Ams, Syclones, Typhoons, Grand Nationals GNXs, Deloreans, Cutlass Supreme Convertibles, Avanti IIs, Ex Caliburs, Stutz Blackhawks, Bricklins, Virtually any Pace Car, Allantes, Buick Reatta, SS 454 1500 Pick ups, Mustangs, Cobras, etc, etc... I won't even get started on imports... And those are all 80's and early 1990s cars that are said as a whole to be not worth collecting.

Well....I'd beg to differ on quite a few of those cars. I'm referring to 16-17 year old cars, of which, I highly doubt you'd get that kind of money for a non-Cobra or Saleen Mustang, Z-28, Trans Am, Cutlass of any kind (gen I w-body), etc. And again, as I said, I could name quite a few cars myself, but that's still a small percentage compared to average car values from that era.

And as for the cars arent good investments comment.... tell that to the guy who paid $200,000 for the 1954 Pontiac Bonneville Special or the guy who paid $175,000 for the 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 both of which sold in the past 2 years for over 2 million dollars each. As a general rule however MOST cars aren't good investments.

I was hoping it was a given that I'm referring to your average car purchase. Of course, if you hang on to almost ANY car for 50+ years, it has the potential to be worth anywhere from slightly, to way over what you paid for it. But the average person isn't going to hang on to their purchase for 20 years, let alone 50. So in those terms, automobiles are a loosing proposition. Not only do the values decline, you spend money maintaining and repairing them. And in that respect, they're a very bad investment.

Not wanting to start a huge debate here but I think the value of these cars is between Edmunds and KBB's figures. Doesn't mean that they wont take off out of sight in the future I am saying for right now.

Well I'm going more off what I've seen actual TGPs go for, both on this board, and on eBay. Even junkers/parts car TGP/TSTEs go for around $500. Half way decent condition ones (would take some work, but is restorabie) fetch $1,500 - $2,000 (I watched a TSTE very similar to the condition of mine, except with 175k miles and no leather end at $2,200). Closer to mint go for $2k - $4 (watched an 8x,xxx mile, nearly mint TSTE end at just over $4k). And then the occasional, "omg, it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor" fetches $5k + (Larry M just bought one with 62k miles for $5,100). And I've only listed a handful of examples that I've personally seen. So I'd say the value is a hair higher than what KBB states. Edmunds is a joke.

But as you pointed out, the biggest thing these cars (as well as other rare GM oddities from around this era) have working against them is that few know about they exist. I'd suspect that as they come closer to being classics, and possibly get more publicity in collector talk, they will start creeping up in desirability and value. But even if they stay where they're at, they most definitely hold better value than the average car of its era.

An '89 TGP just sold for $8,500 on eBay a few weeks ago.

NOT true, it never met the reserve price.

Sorry, not sold. But that's beside the point. The fact still remains someone was willing to pay $8,500 for it.