ihateallmustangs

My car is really getting up there in mileage! With that I expect some issues to come up.

Anyways I notice when I put the car into reverse I hear a click which appears to be comming from the front drivers side tire area. I also hear it somtimes when I go up a steep slop (pulling into a parking lot for example).

any ideas?

I'm gonna say cradle bolts or mounts. My old GP would do that all the time pulling into parking lots and driveways, and shifting between reverse and drive. I'd have those inspected ASAP, you don't want your engine cradle falling out like mine did. Luckily I was at the gas station when it happened.

I will check it out for sure. But my cutlass is a 93 I had thought they cleared that up by then? I get a bit of vibration at hi speeds from that front wheel too , if that makes a difference. Also I noticed in the summer on gravel the driver side would feel like ti was peeling out on the one side.

I will check it out for sure. But my cutlass is a 93 I had thought they cleared that up by then? I get a bit of vibration at hi speeds from that front wheel too , if that makes a difference. Also I noticed in the summer on gravel the driver side would feel like ti was peeling out on the one side.

Hmm, I should have looked at your signature, but it's still possible since the cradle bolts could possibly have loosened or the bushings might be worn.

I was going to say wheel bearing or maybe even ball joints might be worn, but I'm no expert.

I have the same problem. It even happens when its cold. Mine clicks when im driving uphill, sitting at a light, or on the highway. (vibration) I do have FFP mounts so maybe the is not helping the problem. I have the car on the lift at school right now. Ill tell you what I find so maybe it could help you out too.

Oh and does yours make the noise in park? If I put mine in park, it goes away.

I have the same problem. It even happens when its cold. Mine clicks when im driving uphill, sitting at a light, or on the highway. (vibration) I do have FFP mounts so maybe the is not helping the problem. I have the car on the lift at school right now. Ill tell you what I find so maybe it could help you out too.

Oh and does yours make the noise in park? If I put mine in park, it goes away.

Thanks keep me updated , no mine goes away when its in park. When I put it into reverse I can hear the click also.

I think it only does it when there is excessive pressure against the engine mounts like when your in drive or reverse or going up a hill. I checked my front cradle and all the bolts were within spec. Next im going to investicate the lower and upper mounts.

Oh and my CV s are fine so that just leaves the engine mounts. You should check yours to make sure they are good.

Sounds like an issue with a mount(could be as simple as a bad dogbone mount, they can make a "tink" or click type noise when bad or if one of the mounting bolts for them is loose, you'll get the same type noise). Leave the car in park, pop the hood, and then push the car back and forth with a good amount of force and see if you can reproduce the noise in this manner. I usually place my hands where the dogbones mount to do the pushing/pulling, make a note of how much the engine moves when doing this.

im willing t bet it is the hydraulic mounts that have gone bad but the click is probably coming from the cv joint.. exact same thing as my car. i changed all 4 mounts and it took like 4 hrs but it payed off. keep updated. open the hood and have a friend watch the motor when you shift

UPDATE.

I gave everything the once over today and it turned out to be the driver side dog bone mount. I didn't even consider that the issue because I swapped it out from my old grand prix se onto this car. I had no idea when they had been replaced on the GP but they were not stock , they are black and look to be made of IRON. The bushing arent cracked but when you move the motor back and forth the driver side bushing looks loose and is making a loud clicking sound.

UPDATE.

I gave everything the once over today and it turned out to be the driver side dog bone mount. I didn't even consider that the issue because I swapped it out from my old grand prix se onto this car. I had no idea when they had been replaced on the GP but they were not stock , they are black and look to be made of IRON. The bushing arent cracked but when you move the motor back and forth the driver side bushing looks loose and is making a loud clicking sound.

...Stock dogbones are made of Iron and rubber..... :confused:

UPDATE.

...Stock dogbones are made of Iron and rubber..... :confused:

Nope not mine. They were made of aluminum.

Maybe they changed in the newer years. No clue but my family has had several 88-90 grand prixs and they have all looked like the ones I posted. As well as the ones I swapped from my 93 cutlass to the aftermarket ones on my 89 GP.

from what I've seen the stock ones are black, aftermarket ones are silver

My mom bought a grand prix brand new back in 89 we changed out the stock silver ones in 1997.

oh man I remember the clickies! both dogbones on my gp were F*cked. I could grab the motor and move it a good 3 inchs back and forth, i finally decided to change mine when the pleneum hit the firewall :lol:

My '93 had the black iron dogbones from the factory also. I've probably had 3-4 sets of replacements on it since new, and all of them were also the same old iron. I do have a set of aluminum replacement dogbones on my TGP(Pioneer brand), I'll probably pick up a set for my '93 GP soon and throw some poly bushings in them.

when i did my new dogbones they are like 100 times better than oem. they are heavier and much more solid . but the only tip i can give is if the new ones dont last more than a few months check your lower mounts as they are common on going bad. look for hydraulic fluid mess around the mounts. classic sign :twisted: also if the engine sags down towards the passenger side. i will have to post pics of before and after i did all the mounts