1999 buick regal 3.8l cranks but doesn't start.

lukee1982

1999 buick regal 3.8l cranks but doesn't start.

First got a

P0306---- CYLINDER 6 MISFIRE

SES light came on and then stalled out and would not start again.

tried changing cylinder 6 spark plug and checked plug wire connection. Plug smelled like it had gas.

have spark.

what is really strange to me is that the code only has one cylinder and won't let the engine run at least rough

-

changed all plugs and then it started

shut it off and will not start again.

-

Put new wires on no help

-

fuel pressure key on engine off goes up to 50 psi then drops off to 40 psi and holds. Is this correct?

when cranking it stays at 50 psi.

-

I tested the ICM and it was fine.

Thank you all in advance

-Luke Essex-

Misfire codes are weird......cylinder 6 was just the first to fail. Some PCM don't keep track of misfire DTCs after the first one sets.

Fuel pressure is good.....it should hold fuel pressure of 35 psi or so for at least 20 minutes.

The question is, do you have spark now? If so....everything on the spark side is good.....coils, ICM, and crank sensor...which should also mean the injectors are getting their signals.

Did you unplug the fuel injector harness or the engine wiring harness for some crazy reason?

Do you have access to a scan tool that can show PCM data?

well I didn't get a chance to work on it last night. If I rember correctly it was more of a yellow spark instead of a blue spark. I am going to check to see if I have a broken ground. Would a weak signal from CPS cause weak spark?

I have a scan tool but don't know much about how to use it. actron cp9175 iirc

The computer could be telling you the wrong cylinder. Cause if it has spark is getting gas the only other thing would be timing. But if the others fire fine it cant be timing. Check the other 5 once see where that gets you.

Timing is ECM controlled...not an issue.

Its like a spark checker for injectors....flashes when it gets a pulse....takes the same amount of current to flash as an injector does.

uim has gone out there is a coolant tube that runs inside the uim and i have seen two cars do this before and it blew there engine a 98 gt coupe and a 01 bonnie so take the upper intake off and see if there is coolant inside and if so then the engine is done

I got the engine to run. But was low on colant and it was smoking like a head gasket.

well I think you are right about the Upper intake manifold.

Will check the UIM and see what is if that will fix it?

so you are saying anytime that you get a head gasket internal leak that it would toast the motor?

I think I better clarify. I got the car to run the other night added colant but I shut it off. It didn't want to start back up but it still cranks. If this make the motor toast then I would be suprised.

Intake was full of coolant.

Some had started to run into the intake runners.

should I suction as much of the coolant as I can out. Both from above and check each cylinder?

anything else?