H4351/H4352 Headlight Modification

GIANT MOTH

:arrow: :arrow: It's said that you can remove the bulb from the housing of a H4351/H4352 sealed headlights. I know their on Grand Prix's, Camaro's and whatever else from back in the day. I don't see how this can be done since the bulb is glued in three spots and also glued into the base of the housing. Has anyone done this or what? I'm looking forward to putting in the new bulbs. Their more intense than stock. Sucks they make the housings sealed. I tried to take the bulb out of a housing with a broken lens and the end of the bulb shattered and it didn't break the seal. If they make housing with removable bulbs they must be rare or I'm an idiot.

On the mini-quads they are sealed. There is no such thing as a removeable bulb in mini-quads. But they are only sealed with silicon so you can break that seal loose.

-Take a pair of vise-grips, pliers which ever you prefer, and start twisting the bulb. Slowly!

-Youll see/hear the seal starting to break.

-Once you get the old bulb out, clean up the surface of the housing.

-With the new bulb, keep the o-ring that is supplied.

-Apply a generous amount of RTV silicon ( high heat silicon is NOT needed, but if you want to use it, it will work just fine )

-Twist the new bulb in place and let set until the silicon has dried.

-Then finally mount the housing back into the assembly and enjoy your new working light!

Get pliars and gentle twist them off. I've done it. You just have to glue the other ones back in. This way I could use the 9006 and 9005 bulbs. Silverstars dont make the original ones. But the 9006 and 9005 take the exact same plugs.

Converting Sealed beam "mini quads" to 9006/9005 halogens...

Applies to:

92-97 Cutlass Supreme 2dr.

91-96 Grand Prix 2dr.

93-97 Camaro

One of the biggest complaints with my Cutlass when I bought it was how TERRIBLE the headlights were, to the point of being dangerous. Well, there are a few things you can do to allievate this problem.

And even if you feel the headlights are adequete as they are, this is a much more cost effective way to replace a light, considering one sealed beam H4351 will run you 25+ bucks. If you spring for an original looking "Guide" brand one, it'll be even more.

Tools/parts required:

Flathead screwdriver

T-15 Torx driver

Razor blade or Exacto knife

High temp, or regular RTV Silicone

9005 or 9006 halogen bulbs ( Silverstars are the preffered bulb in this case )

( these instructions are 92-97 CS specific, but GPs are similar after you get the headlight out )

Start by using your flathead to remove the three pins that hold the black headlight covers on. You dont want to loose those pins! The next step is to remove the two T-15 screws holding the headlight ring to the bucket. You really dont want to loose those either! Then, slide the headlight ring off of it's "hinges", pull out the headlight, and un-plug it. You will notice that both the old bulb, and the 9006 ( or 9005 if you are doing the high beams ) use the same exact plug, making this a plug and play swap...

After you get the old capsule out of the mini quad that is...

Standard H4351 capsule and cheapo blue 9006 side by side

To do that, you will need to pry the capsule out. It can be tricky, because it is really glued in there, but you can get it out. You dont even have to be all that careful because the headlight is tougher than you might think. That being said, you still have to use common sense, because it is glass. But before you pry at anything, take note of which direction the plug faces in relation to the car, so you can get the new bulb to match.

After you get the capsule out, take your razor blade and scrape off all the excess glue/silicone from inside and around the edge of where the bulb slides in.

Now you are ready for the silicone. Apply a semi-generous coat to the edge of the hole, and a thin layer inside the hole. Then you can slide the 9006/9005 in the hole, being careful not to touch the glass bulb with your hands, or any of the silicone you've applied. Press the bulb in firmly, making sure the plug is facing the same way as the original was, or it might not plug in or fit. The bulb's gasket actually does a decent job of holding it snug and straight, but you still need to lay a thin bead of silicone around where the bulb meets the mini quad, and smooth it with your finger. This will insure that it is sealed from moisture.

Now you need to let it dry, at a minimum, one hour...longer if you can. If you rush this step, the bulb is going to fall out when you try to plug it in, and you'll have to start over.

Re-installation is just a matter of plugging it back in ( try to not put too much pressure on the bulb when you do, since it is still going to be weak for awhile ), sliding the mini quad into the bucket, putting the ring back on, and replacing the black headlight trim.

Now you can sit back and enjoy your new found light! You should notice a tremendous difference, and your headlights will look cooler to boot!

NOTE: Although re-aiming wasn't required when I did this on my car, you should double check your aim anytime you service the headlights.

My full write up with pics here:

http://www.c2e.biz/modernolds/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=658

I drove my car for a year and a half with this method and no problems

Hey your all the best!!!!

I'm gonna go give it another wack. The end shattered a bit but I think I get it now. I'll use vise grips this time. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I must be stupid. I got some new ones on the way so this will give me plenty of practice. If I don't make it back with results I'll most likely be in the hospital getting stitches.

And Silverstar is the best but what about PIAA?

The lighting on my stock 96 GP sucked really bad. I was looking into HID but didn't feel like breaking the bank. So I read about the 9006/9005 conversion. My first try at it I shattered the glass housing and had to go out and buy a new one. Got it the second time though with the use of a flat head screw driver and some pliers. I didn't stop their though. I got the wire harness upgrade from suvlights.com which makes the high/low beams a bit brighter. Plus I upgraded the foglights to the 3200 Blazertech's. What a day and night difference it all made.

I DID DONES IT!!!!!!

I feel so flippin cool right now. I never ended up in the hospital with stitches but I did end up with Silverstar ultra's. There not in yet but I have this feeling after I install them there gonna turn out no different than the originals leaving me like a jackass. Here I was like no way in hell I'm gonna waste $30 on a lightbulb. yeah I'm feeling like a million bucks right now. Can't wait for the rebate to come in the mail. :rolleyes:

Anyways..

I recommend using the high heat silicon. My bulbs burn hot and I can sometime even feel the heat from the headlight if you stick your hand by it. Regukar silicon would just melt away.

Maybe mine uses a different brand of bulbs, but the housings are made of metal.

Installing new 9006's didn't even require silicone.

Oh yeah, and it's siliCONE not siliCON.

Anyways..

I recommend using the high heat silicon. My bulbs burn hot and I can sometime even feel the heat from the headlight if you stick your hand by it. Regukar silicon would just melt away.

Thats because its not a normal 55w bulb. I have the Silverstars, 55w and theres no problem at all.

I didn't say there was a problem.

The high heat silicone prevented any meleting of the silicone and therefor letting condensation into my headlights.

I still have yet to see a set of SYLVANIA bulbs brighter than my headlights, myabe these new ULTRA's will give me a run for my money.

Probably the wattage and the color temperature. But dont quote me

Personally, I wouldnt go anything higher than 55w, unless you plan on upgrading the wires from the fuse box so you dont burn them out.

The difference between them is a slight increase in visibility :eek: There's no change in watts or any of that other stuff from what I remember off the top of my head. The high temp silicone is about the same as the regular stuff. All I can say is what pisses me off the most is I have two different housings. The newest one the Sylvania had a nice twist off plastic base which made the removal much easier. The older ones seem to be a real bitch to break the seal and the base as well as the bulbs are different. So far I have three different bulbs as well. Maybe some fool will buy them from me off ebay. Yeah. Anywho. So now my retarded warpath to get matching housings will take its toll. . . . . Someday.

I actually went on Ebay and bought the 9006 conversion housings for a camaro...which take the same size sealed beam lights. Now i can clip in the 9006 bulbs without even siliconing them. HID kits will fit right in too.

only difference between regular and ultra silverstars are the life of the bulb...ultras apparently last 30% longer..and they cost 30% more too so I on't see a point in upgrading to them

• 2 weeks later...

I actually went on Ebay and bought the 9006 conversion housings for a camaro...which take the same size sealed beam lights. Now i can clip in the 9006 bulbs without even siliconing them. HID kits will fit right in too.

Can you post a link? I didn't see any

yea i can't see anymore either but what i did was crossreference. Our Grand prix's and such have the same headlights as a 1994-1996 camaro. So i searched under that which is more popular and located some off ebay. The guy i dealt with has no more but if you keep looking on there you should find them. The lights are real glass so its perfect to get those and then buy an hid kit. Works like a charm. I will try and locate some more for you guys and post something up if i get a chance.

Cheers