'92 Lumina 4-door window switch source??

bartonmd

OK, so I know I can order these from the dealer (the last 2 were from there), but I've heard tell that these are such a high failure rate item that the aftermarket makes them now? Any truth in this? Does anybody know the best place to come across such switches? BTW, it's the driver side 4-switch set I'm looking for...

Thanks,

MIke

I've heard of occasional switch problems, but nothing consistant with saying they have a high failure rate.. that said, i wouldn't fork over the money for a new dealer set. I don't know of any aftermarket companies making them but they could be out there.

I know that my dad's lumina has gone through 2 of them in the last 100k miles, my uncle's Lumina went through 1 of them, and my lumina has gone through the one it came with from the factory, a junkyard one, and now an OE replacement... I know of a few dealers that keep at least one in stock... for a 14 year old car... Also, they're like $50 at the dealer, new, so yeah... if they sell enough of them for them to be THAT cheap... they're a high failure rate item.

Mike

never had an issue with either of my lumina ones..... what goes wrong?

the switches just stop working... My driver side switch doesn't work at all, and the one for the passenger side will roll the window down, but not back up, so I have to reach over and roll it back up from the passenger side button, and the same for both rears... If you do a search on this site, you'll find quite a few of the same issues I'm talking about... I searched for it before I posted this, and found the same issues on multiple posts, but didn't find anything on alternative sources...

FWIW, it might be that, although my Lumina is my driver, my bike gets 20,000 miles a year, and the Lumina gets 5,000 miles a year, so it sits a lot... Although, that doesn't explain why my dad's and uncle's cars did the same thing...

Mike