radio noise

peeeot

The stock radio on my car makes a lot of white background noise, even on very strong local stations. There are occasional pops and crackling noises as well.

It has a power antenna, and I attempted to follow the instructions provided in the manual for checking for good ground, but the instructions were a bit confusing and I didn't get any conclusive results.

Are these noises usually the product of a bad radio head unit, bad ground, or antenna issue?

Check your RCA's. Im having the same problem also, and I believe it it because my RCA's going to my amps are near power wires.

Deff want to check that. You should NEVER rum RCA's next to speaker wire or power wire. Id also check out the antenna and the ground.

What are RCAs?

My stereo is 100% stock, original speakers and everything, so if any wires are in places they shouldn't be, it's the factory's fault. Or else clips that retain the wiring have broken or something.

whoops--I was wrong. One of the main noises I've been noticing only happens when the engine is running, and though the change is slight, it does indeed change with engine rpm. It is a background, ticking kind of noise.

The other noises, however, such as the occasional pop or crackle, occur whether the engine is running or not. I know that at least one of my rear speakers needs to be replaced, because when I turn the volume up at all with the "loud" button pressed, it makes slapping noises like the cone insulation is failing or something.

If it only happens when the engine is running, and it changes with RPM, its usually means its a ground loop, and what your hearing is the alternator. And yes, one of your speakers is probably blown.

The shop manual shows a factory amplifier under the driver's side of the dashboard. I don't know whether every car had it or not, nor do I know for sure whether mine does.

About the alternator, most sources describe alternator noises as being high-pitched. My noise is pitchless, more of a ticking or like the sort of noise old cassettes make. When I increase engine speed, the rate of the ticking increases slightly, but remains pitchless.

The whine of a alternator is high pitched, but running RCA's by a power wire will make a lower sound that will also increase as engine speed does. Thats two noises that alternators can cause. Because when those wires are run together, your hearing the alternator loop. Ive had this happen to me before and an RCA filter solved the problem.

But seeing as how your all stock, Id start with the blown speakers and go from there.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done some more investigation. First of all, the noise happens even when I have the antenna unplugged. So it isn't coming in through the antenna; it must be through the wiring. Second, the noise is independent of the volume I set the head unit to. I turned the volume all the way down and the noise was exactly the same; similarly, I can sort of drown it out by turning the volume up.

I'm almost positive that I have the original spark plug wires on this car. What's the likelihood that their insulation is worn out and that's what's causing the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the spark plug wires. They probably needed replacing anyway, since they were the originals. The noise is still there, though it might be reduced slightly. That marks one possibility off the list at least.

Today I tried something that I read online is a good way of pinpointing the source of ignition noise. I got a portable am radio (cassette walkman) and tuned in to a weak station and listened around the engine compatment for noise. One thing that I learned was that the noise I'm hearing through my radio is very audible over the AM airwaves. As long as the walkman was within 2 feet of the engine compartment, I could hear the noise I'm complaining about. Unfortunately, it was strong enough that I couldn't really tell any difference by moving the walkman closer to or farther away from things, which means I couldn't really pinpoint the source. I tried putting the walkman against the spark plug wires and ignition coils. Nothing changed for the wires but putting it next to the coils produced a different noise altogether that drowned out the other noise.

All this to say, I don't know what to make of it, except that it doesn't have to come through the wires for the radio to pick it up.