RedZMonte

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/redzmonte/lst?.dir=/1990+Turbo+Grand+Prix&.view=t

Stock Downpipe (notice the nasty pressbends) :ghey:

tgpstkdp3.jpg?bckj6v.AwXHALExa

tgpstkdp4.jpg?bckj6v.AKdZCrj8G

M&S Production Downpipe (Smooth Mandrel Bends) :biggrin:

mstgpdp.jpg?bckj6v.APc5mpouT

mstgpdp4.jpg?bckj6v.AIgbSAItI

I left my stock cat for the time being because i am RICH as hell and didn't want to damage a perfectly good new cat. I also Gutted my stock cat completely so it won't be a problem. I am putting a new one on when i get the A/F Mixture figured out and install it with my catback.

Shane

Very nice!! What is the ID" of the M&S pipe? What will be the cost to the rest of the TGP world or is this a one-off? Are you going to make a full downpipe from the turbo housing as well? 8)

Very nice!! What is the ID" of the M&S pipe? What will be the cost to the rest of the TGP world or is this a one-off? Are you going to make a full downpipe from the turbo housing as well? 8)

I will look into it but it would not be very easy to do nor cheap. If you look at the stock downpipe that connects to the turbo itself its a molded cast because of the wastegate. A tubular one would be $$$$ and would probibly show minimal gains.

My car is not in Tip top shape so i am not reaping the full benifits of the downpipe but it does seem to come into power faster. Not to mention i also gutted the cat so it will also help the turbo spool to full boost faster. and again i am still runing the stock catback so it won't gain its max potential untill i get a free flowing exhaust as well.

I am going to make them avaible here soon. ID=2-3/8"

Shane

I would think that the cast portion of the downpipe could be bored and a mandrel bend welded to it. The turbo houses the wastegate valve so the downpipe cast could be modified to allow a larger I.D." downpipe couldn't it? 8)

I guess it would be less confusing to refer to this pipe as the CAT pipe, and the pipe directly from the turbo as the down pipe, since as far as I can tell, the exhasut from the CAT pipe back is standard GP fare.

I would think that the cast portion of the downpipe could be bored and a mandrel bend welded to it.

From what i understand you can't weld steel to cast iron and have it make a strong connection.

If i replace that part of the downpipe here is what i would have to do (basically): (Bottom Center)

dc320cf3a89ce87c8b2769a0777a512e.jpg

RedZ

That is true Shane...was tired when I posted last night... :oops: My roomy was looking at fabricating a new turbo flange for my TGP, but was interupted by the sale of it. A new flange can be done I am sure...just a matter of the cost if you want to make available to all. I would be more motivated to do a T03-T04e upgrade and make the required flanges for that, then to do so much work for the pukey T-25... 8)

Guest TurboSedan
I guess it would be less confusing to refer to this pipe as the CAT pipe, and the pipe directly from the turbo as the down pipe, since as far as I can tell, the exhasut from the CAT pipe back is standard GP fare.

yeah i was really confused for awhile. to me, the downpipe means the pipe that connects directly to the turbo and down to the rest of the exhaust (cat). from the looks of it it would be really hard to make a better downpipe, since it is shaped the way it is. and compared to the turbo dodge, it is pretty straight too, since the turbo dodge has a 90' bend elbow peice directly off the turbo that houses the wastegate and then bolts to the downpipe. ack, kind of hard to explain i guess.... but yeah that cat pipe looks like a helluva improvement Shane.

what sucks about the TGP downpipe is that it seems that is the major hurdle in upgrading to a T3....how to make a custom downpipe?

joshua

From what I've seen/thought so far, cutting the flange off the tgp downpipe, and flanging it to an integral t3 wastgate woudn't require too much rerouting, but I haven't gotten it in the car yet.