Removing the transaxle

Z34Lee

Hey guys, I'm in the process of taking out the 5spd Getrag transaxle on my 92 Lumina Z34. I've almost got it out, but not quite. My quick question is, does the subframe have to be taken out? If there's any advice you have for me on this difficult job, please let me know. By the way, I'm trying to replace my clutch release bearing and the seals around it since I suspect that's my trans problem. Thanks.

no, the subframe *shouldnt* have to come out. It may make it easier, though. Good, luck, and yeah, the clutch on your Getrag 284 is weird.

Robby

Guest TurboSedan
Hey guys, I'm in the process of taking out the 5spd Getrag transaxle on my 92 Lumina Z34. I've almost got it out, but not quite. My quick question is, does the subframe have to be taken out? If there's any advice you have for me on this difficult job, please let me know. By the way, I'm trying to replace my clutch release bearing and the seals around it since I suspect that's my trans problem. Thanks.

i have never removed a DOHC/284 combo so i can't really help, but i would think that it can be done without removing the subframe (lift it all out the top). if your car has ABS it might make the job more difficult. i've had my engine/trans out twice now and i think the worst part of the job is going thru all the trouble to pull the axles out.

what is the problem with your transmission? i have heard from alot of people that the 282 & 284 will rattle a little at idle in Neutral, and then the rattle goes away after you push the clutch in. mine does and it's never gotten worse in the 30,000 miles i've put on it.

joshua