Which tire size?

Mach 5

Ive got a problem. Which size tire for my car? The car is a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. The tires on there now are Yokohama Avid 215/60/R16 94H. On http://www.tirerack.com I get the size 225/55/R16. So which is the right one. I wouldn't mind the 60 but if the car originally came with 55's, then the speedometer would be off or not within spec.

Also is 215mm or 225mm the correct width of the tire?

Thanks

What wheels are on your car? A pic of the stock wheels should help determine the stock tire.

I have the stock 8" wide crosslaces on my 92, and I run 225/60-R16 (the stock size).

there is a sticker on the trunk lid?? or driver's door that will say correct (stock) tire size... if u use one of those tire size calculators based on the correct (stock) size, you will be able to find other tire sizes that will equal to the same circumference so your speedo won't be out, and it won't be dangerous to drive...

I just sold my 89 GP SE so I will tell you, look in the trunk and on the trunk lid on the left it is right there. I will also tell you that the correct tire size for that car is 215/60R/16. If you put 225/60R/16's on it, the speedo will be out by 5 miles an hour.

I had 225/55R16 on my Cutty and it was a nice fit. It's has just the slightest bit shorter sidewall than the 215/60/16. 225/60 is "ok" but the sidewall is a bit tall for my taste.

I've never seen or heard of (stock) tire size with "55" in it... ?

I think my mom's CL as "55" in it..i'll double check tomorrow

Pretty sure Dave was referring to W-bodies only...

Newer Grand Am's usually have 225/50R16 on the GT's. 225/55/16 is stock on many V6 Camaro's and Mustangs. It's not the most abundant size, but I like it. 225/55 usually has a slightly wider tread width than 225/60 even though it's the same measured width.