oil, what does this mean?

brian89gp

This is where I'm at, the exaust is done down to the downpipe, the compressor housing has nothing hooked up to it. When I put the motor together i used assembly lube here and there, and doused the turbo bearings in oil.

I look under the car after idleing for a couple minutes, and the downpipe has sprayed oil and assembly lube everywhere. Then i look at the compressor housing and there is some oil dripping from the out port, fresh oil. Also from idleing for about 4 minutes, the exhaust started to smoke a lot. This is the first time I have started it after I put it together.

Don't tell me this is normal? I just put new bearings and seals in the turbo. Could my oil supply line be too large (1/4")? The drain hose (3/4") is warm to the pan so i know that oil is draining

to add: i noticed that there is a small amount of shaft play. When i put it together the bearings fit into the housing nice and snug, and they fit the shaft snugly, so I really don't know.

Guestimating, with a dial caliper in the other hand, it looks to be less then .025" of play up and down, no forward and back play. It spins very freely.

I can understand some on the exhaust side at first cause I was liberal with the oil when i put the engine together, but fresh oil out of the compressor worries me.

This turbo (Toyota CT-26) i hear has full float bearings, whatever that means, but some shaft play is supposidly normal.

This is where I'm at, the exaust is done down to the downpipe, the compressor housing has nothing hooked up to it. When I put the motor together i used assembly lube here and there, and doused the turbo bearings in oil.

I look under the car after idleing for a couple minutes, and the downpipe has sprayed oil and assembly lube everywhere. Then i look at the compressor housing and there is some oil dripping from the out port, fresh oil. Also from idleing for about 4 minutes, the exhaust started to smoke a lot. This is the first time I have started it after I put it together.

Don't tell me this is normal? I just put new bearings and seals in the turbo. Could my oil supply line be too large (1/4")? The drain hose (3/4") is warm to the pan so i know that oil is draining

Tipically if its got some leaky seals it will smoke allot. Again if you put some assybloly lube in there it may be burning some of that off. if it continues to smoke i bet a seal is damaged or not seated correctly in the trubo.

Shane

I took it off last night and the crossover was dry, but the exhaust inlet on the turbo was wet. There is no way that oil from the inpeller could have made its way upstream and into the exhaust inlet, so at least some of it came from the engine. I am taking the turbo apart just to double check everything.

If I have a leak on the exhaust side, other then loosing some oil, will it do any harm.

If the compressor side is leaking, any harm done besides fouling spark plugs and burning some oil?

I took it off last night and the crossover was dry, but the exhaust inlet on the turbo was wet. There is no way that oil from the inpeller could have made its way upstream and into the exhaust inlet, so at least some of it came from the engine. I am taking the turbo apart just to double check everything.

If I have a leak on the exhaust side, other then loosing some oil, will it do any harm.

If the compressor side is leaking, any harm done besides fouling spark plugs and burning some oil?

Exhaust side would possibly burn up the cat. other then that it will just smell and smoke.

Compressor will just cake everything on then intake side.

Are you boosting threw your MAF?

Shane

I think i could live with the exhuast considering I have no $ to have the turbo rebuilt.

I found that the oil sheild on the compressor end bearing wasn't snapped in, so I'm hoping that is it on that side.

No MAF, I am customizing the 91-93 ECM :D. I finally got it running stock (thats why the turbo compressor is unhooked). When I get finished it will be true 2BAR with the fuel tables very much like the TGP.

just beware of any knocking(detonation) inside the motor. A leaking turbo is not good! I have heard of it causing fires twice if the motor were to ever burp back! Get it fixed as soon as possible. :) :)

Hopefully the splash shield on the compressor side was the reason for oil over there. The exhaust I don't know, I need to put it back together and finish letting it burn off the oil that I know came from the engine and go from there.

The compressor leak is solved, but for some reason I still got a lot of oil comming out of the exhaust. Are there any possible conditions that would cause a good turbo to do this? There is only 1 seal (a snap ring type thing, which is brand new) on the exhaust side and for the life of me I can't figure out why its leaking so bad.

The compressor leak is solved, but for some reason I still got a lot of oil comming out of the exhaust. Are there any possible conditions that would cause a good turbo to do this? There is only 1 seal (a snap ring type thing, which is brand new) on the exhaust side and for the life of me I can't figure out why its leaking so bad.

maybe you have pressure build up and it's forcing oil past good seals? just a thought as I'm no mechanic/tech by trade. On my turbo'd volvo, it's coughing out a little oil smoke which is believed to be shot "cold side" seals, have a little excessive oil build-up in the intercooler and plumbing :oops: causing the motor to ingest and burn the oil...argh! Either that or the oil return line is badly clogged..haven't checked/cleaned it yet(car has been sitting for a week now). I'm going to probably rebuild the T3 myself if need be without having it balanced for now(going to upgrade to a bigger/better turbo soon), it has almost no shaft play and spins very freely....guess the seals are just old.

Check your oil return. You must have a free flowing return. Also make sure the oil return dumps the oil above the oil level in your oil pan. Maybe its not flow enough out and building pressure. my roomated integra does that when his oil return gets pintched.

Shane

Check your oil return. You must have a free flowing return. Also make sure the oil return dumps the oil above the oil level in your oil pan. Maybe its not flow enough out and building pressure. my roomated integra does that when his oil return gets pintched.

Shane

Yes it will do just that. Check your return to see where its returning at. :) :) :)

Top edge of the front of the oil pan. Quite close or maybe even exactly where the TGP return is.

http://www.brian89gp.com/turbopics/5-07/DSCF0003.JPG

The only thing that comes close to a kink is where it bends around the starter, but even there it isn't enough to restrict any flow.

I was wondering, if the inside of my bearing housing was worn, causing the bearings to fit loosly inside of it, could that cause the problem?

http://www.alltrac.net/tuning/turborebuild.html

top picture, the snap ring on the very right hand side is the only seal on the exhaust side.

Small amount yes. The bearings fit perfectly on the shaft so the movement has got to be comming from the bearings not fitting into the housing snugly.

I've had four turbo's rebuilt in my life. I was always told that no shaft play is the best. How ever if the shaft is too tight you'll burn the bearings out of it. I would start checking out places that rebuilds turbos. The most expensive one I had rebuilt was for My Turbo T-Bird and only cost 800 bucks to rebuild and upgrade. :) :) :)