94-96 Grand Prix Special edition w/ louvers + 3.4

mfewtrail

Another car I spotted while on vacation. I was in a turn lane to get on the opposite side of the road when this GP came by, I followed them for a bit and ended up talking to the owner briefly. The woman driving stated that she was the original owner of the car. I asked her if it was really a "GTP" and she stated that she didn't remember seeing anything w/ "GTP" written on the window sticker, title, etc. I believe she said the car was a '94 model, but I didn't hear her clearly over the surrounding traffic.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

BTW, there's an identical Special Editon here locally(same color combo as above, also owned by the original owner. I'm going to talk to the owner next time I see it in town and try to get pictures of the RPO sticker, etc.)

Ross has been over this a million times. They are just special edition GTPs. I've seen quite a few. A couple members here have them.

The ones that no one can ever seem to find is a 94-96 3.4, with just the regular plastic "Grand Prix SE" badges, and no louvres....THOSE are the rare/non existent ones. I have yet to see a non GTP 3.4 car newer than 1993.

Ross has been over this a million times. They are just special edition GTPs. I've seen quite a few. A couple members here have them.

The ones that no one can ever seem to find is a 94-96 3.4, with just the regular plastic "Grand Prix SE" badges, and no louvres....THOSE are the rare/non existent ones. I have yet to see a non GTP 3.4 car newer than 1993.

I swear I have seen one or two somewhere.

You mean the ones with the 3.4 and no B4U gfx? Those are rare, I've yet to see one.

Take a pic of the VIN and run it on the free Carfax... that will tell you if it's a SE or GTP.

You sure it's not labeled as a option package, but a seperate model all together?

No, I'm talking about a B4U car, with the 3.4, but with SE, not SPECIAL EDITION badges, and no louvres. But I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there is no way to get a 3.4 coupe 94-96 without it being a GTP. Until I see otherwise of course.

FWIW, '94 was the last year the non-B4U body work. I've seen a few 3.4s like that, but not any '94s I dont think.

I don't think Ross or anyone else proved that 100%, that's why I'm trying to confirm that these are GTP's. I'll be in town where I normally see the local Special Edition w/ louvers within a week, so hopefully the owner is around and I can get pictures of the Vin, SPID, etc...

Fair enough, I'm curious too. I think the whole thing Ross was trying to say is that the louvres made it a GTP, no matter what. Which makes sense to a point, becuase the 91-93 3.4 SEs had none, just the GTPs.

Ah, reminds me of my "Little Known Facts About the Grand Prix" thread. I believe this very discussion lasted several pages. In the end, no one could find a shred of proof that Pontiac ever made an LQ1 SE after '93. Period. Also, the "Is a 3.4 Special Edition a GTP or an SE?" question was debated, and it's my opinion that the Special Editions were option packages for each the SE and the GTP package.

Running the VIN on a GTP will come up as an SE, by the way. The GTP was an option, and I have the RPO code around here somewhere...