When it rains it pours...interior lights won't go off!!!!

barryc

Just got an answer to my vac leak from you guys and now I have another one thrown at me from the demon car. My interior lights will not go off! The ones in the back of the doors, the floor, the map lights, all of them stay on until the battery saver feature turns them off in 10 minutes. I don't suspect door pins because the key chime goes off like it's supposed to, but I guess that only rules out the driver's door. Any ideas on how to run this one down? If I unplug the door pins, that will duplicate a good switch and a closed door, right?

Yeah it should...

what kind of car is it??

if its a GP you could just Pull the headlight switch with one screw when you park it...

also do you have security lights?? if so it may be your switch...

also it could be worn pins so I would say try duct taping them in.....if all else fails...

It's a 95 Grand Prix GTP. I just started having this problem tonight. For now I'm pulling the courtesy lamp fuse. If it sits long enough for the battery saver to kick in, then they don't come on at all when you open the door, but come on and stay on with the key in. I'm worried that the battery saver won't be activated with the key on, so I'm gonna basically be without interior lights or I'm gonna be driving with them on all the time. As luck would have it, I'm leaving to go on vacation Wednesday morning and of course I need to drive this car. What luck.

Is your interior light suppose to turn off after 10 secs or so when you close the door?

It could be the interior lights delay switch that is affected by temperature changes.

I figure you opened and tested all the door pin/switches but if not and it is one heres a quick fix.

The wife's intrepid interior lights were staying on. It was a rear door pin/switch. I used one of those sticky anti-slide pads that go on the bottom of chairs and such. I cut it smaller and stuck it on the end of the pin. It was enough adjustment for the pin to meet the switch inside.

well i might be considered dumb for saying this but oh well......in the Cutlass, when you put the dimmer switch all the way up, above the MAX setting, it turns on all the interior lights....as if u opened a door...could this be the case for u? maybe? i dunno.....

if that was the case i dont think the battery saver would turn them off. i can swear ive had them on for a time period of longer than 10 mins. i didnt even know our cars did that, turn the lights off after 10 mins

I didn't get a chance to test the pin switches (it was after midnight and raining), but I did check to see if I was a bonehead and had the panel dimmer turned up all the way. I'm guessing it was water in a pinswitch (we got 4" of rain yesterday), but I don't know because when I woke up this morning, it was behaving normally! I think it's a gremlin that lives inside just to drive me crazy. It sure will be harder to diagnose what was wrong the other day than it would be to diagnose what is wrong right now... Damn intermittent problems.

Did you have it parked next to an Intrepid lately? You may have caught an electrical Gremlin from one. They have weird electrical stuff happening all the time. At least ours and a friend of mine's does.

The front brake job sure when easy though. (yesterday)

yah our cars are messed......my tape deck stopped workin the other day and then when i took it apart i didn't find any problems! i put it back together and it worked better than before! then sometimes my window will go down and then not move for like an hour then start workin afterwards as if nothing happened.....stupid GM

My rear passengerside window likes to quit working when it's down. Then it might go up ten minues later or not for half the day. Opening the door and playing with the rubber wire cover makes no difference.

My rear passengerside window likes to quit working when it's down. Then it might go up ten minues later or not for half the day. Opening the door and playing with the rubber wire cover makes no difference.

my rear passengerside likes to pop out of it's place when it's down...i have to go back there and pull it back into it's lil groove before i can put it back up!

• 1 month later...

I`m not sure, but I think there is some sort of thermal fuse on the power window motors. My drivers window fully opens with one touch, but sometimes it does not release the button when its done. For the next couple of minutes it does not work. I`m assuming the fuse needs to cool down for approx. 5 Min. then it will work fine again. Basically make sure when the window is down, the switch is not stuck.