Why most Mustang wheels wont fit:

z34_nut

I did some math here at work while I had some down time.

Half Diam. Offset + In. Offset + mm Distance from lip, mm. Distance from lip, in.

Cobra 8" 4 0.4724 12 89.586 3.527

Cobra 9" 4.5 0.9842 25 89.515 3.515

Factory 8" 4 1.0236 26 75.59 2.9765

You can clearly see that the Mustang wheels stick out a good deal further. Technically, when aligned correctly, .551". This is accually perfect if your lining up with the rear end, how-ever lining up the front wheels, they will stick out. I have been doing a lot of engineering here, and I am determined to make them flush. This will not be achieved easily how-ever, so basically my point is, if you want to get a set of wheels, go with 5x4.5 (114.3mm to our 115mm) with about a +27-29mm offset.

Needless to say I learned ALOT with this project..sheesh!

I'm not sure where all the confustion is....with factory GP rims having a +25 offset and being 8" wide, I would think that a mustang rim with very simliar specs would have no problem fitting :shrug:

The 25mm offset is taking into consideration that the GP's have rolled fenders, unlike most other w-body's.

Place those wheels on a lumina, cutty, or a regal shows the offset difference, and they tend to stick out. This is only on the front end, as the W-body platform sticks out on the front hubs.

Also, Finding a Mustang wheel with such a small offset is more then likely not going to happen. My reason being that if they were, then they wheels would be inset far to much (on a mustang).

So would they fit okay on a B4U GP?

They stick out about 1/2" further then factory crosslaces.

I think that could work....

What about clearing the calipers etc? Hit or miss?

Clears the calipers by a LONG shot. If you think about it, the offset is more. In this case the wheels sticks out further, and you have more clearence.

Also, Finding a Mustang wheel with such a small offset is more then likely not going to happen. My reason being that if they were, then they wheels would be inset far to much (on a mustang).

This place has mustang replica wheels in a variety of different offsets(the more popular wheels like the Cobra R's and whatnot anyways)

http://customwheelsmarket.com/ford-oem-style-and-replica-wheels.html

Accually I did some math here for our benifit. Using a 9" wheel, we can use the +36mm...

Same math from above with a 9" wide 07' Shelby wheel.

Half Diam. Offset + In. Offset + mm Distance from lip, mm. Distance from lip, in

4.5 1.4173 36 78.3 3.0826

Seems very acceptable, and might accually be perfect... How-ever a 9" wheel and rubbing issues might occure.

http://customwheelsmarket.com/cwm-31179122red.html

Needless to say I learned ALOT with this project..sheesh!

I'm glad you learned a lot, but I thought I already told you they would stick out? :shrug:

Yeah, I know I know, nobody listens to me. :cry:

So would they fit okay on a B4U GP?

They stick out about 1/2" further then factory crosslaces.

Sort of. If the offset is the same and the wheel is 1" wider, it will stick out 1/2" further outwards AND inwards. If you had the same size tire on both, then the tire itself should not stick out any more at all, in theory. You would just get a lot less sidewall bulge. If you stayed with the same width tires, your tire clearances in the wheel well would be exactly the same. Now I said "in theory" earlier, because going 1" up in wheel width can actually increase the tire width a little. Not a lot though, something like 0.2".

On non-Grand Prix's w/B4U, I would actually recommend +35mm offset or higher unless you like the sticking-out look.

Half Diam. Offset + In. Offset + mm Distance from lip, mm. Distance from lip, in.

Cobra 8" 4 0.4724 12 89.586 3.527

Factory 8" 4 1.0236 26 75.59 2.9765

C-Bad, these wheels will fit, they will just stick out a little more.... exactly .551"

Cool...

Now do older (90s) Mustangs have the same wheels? JUst wondering if I see anything in the junkyard.....

No, These wheels will only fit SN95 body mustangs (1994 and up)

• 2 weeks later...