92GPSE....Power antenna/factory amp...butchered wires...what color goes to what?

david_n_nelsonville

Ok, I have a 1992 Grand Prix SE B4U with what I'm guessing is the "premium" sound system. I've never had the head unit, but it has 6 speakers, auxiliary steering wheel controls, and what looks to be an amp right behind the ashtray.

I have been searching and searching on here....I need to know how to (and if I can) hook up the factory amp to my aftermarket stereo-when I bought my car there was a crappy Jensen hooked up but not correctly and I have replaced it with an Xplod. If it's not possible, I guess I'll have to bypass it. Also, what speakers does it run?

Additionally, is it just the one pink wire for the power antenna? I have everything hooked up right (I think) and yet when I turn on the car and radio, no movement, motor noise or anything. There is a brown wire and a brown wire with a white stripe not hooked up to anything, just cut and taped off. Also, there is a harness behind the stereo that I don't know what it goes to. It has three wires-green, black and gray. What does this harness go to?

TIA

As is stated in other threads, factory amps pretty much such for anything other than what they were installed with(not to mention yours would be 14 years old.... old technology!!), so if i were you id just power the speakers with the deck.

The harness you speak of probably goes to the steering wheel controls.

Ok, got inside the driver's door today and bypassed the amp...also noticed why my driver's side power mirror never worker; the wires were cut at the mirror. I went through the wiring in the door and found only one connector not hooked to anything (aside from the original speaker wire). The colors were white, blue, yellow and green.. I cut the harness off of the end of the wires that had the harness, and matched them by color to the wires coming out of the mirror (I really think this isn't the original door). The mirror will now move horizontally but not vertically. Was I right to match the colors or is it different?

Also, any leads on my previous antenna question (pardon the pun)?

Thanks again.

For some reason my mirrors dont work right with a GP switch. I popped in a Buick Regal switch, and they work in every directions. The only 2 reasons I cant use the regal is... 1st the colour... 2nd it doesnt fit. The GP's plug in on the bottom, but sideways and the Regal plugs in the bottom straight down. Due to the door on GP's the Buick would just sit too high. Sorry to get off topic though!

I've noticed that on mine, it seems to work intermittantly (sp?) Maybe dirty/corroded contacts on the switch? Had to improvise a way to open my door (broken door handles, both sides) , came up with taking off the plastic body color shield and sliding a butterknife down the seam...works every time (so far).

But it does raise another question; I found the "illuminated keyhole" light (and it works), but I don't know where to put the light in the door. Does anyone have an illustration showing how and where this goes in?

Also, still working on the power mirrors and power antenna.

TIA