Oil Change

LumiDriver

27,000km=16,777mi... Holy crap! Do you get UOA's to make sure that oil is still any good?

I thought I was lazy, but you win the prize!!!

Siphoning, with your mouth? :willynilly: I think it would be easier and faster to just unscrew the drainplug!

No UOA's, but I might send in for one when I'm getting ready to drain, maybe a couple years from now. But I do stick a flashlight into the oil filler hole periodically and observe that everything is spotless metal-wise. And the oil still 'looks' better (after 16,677 mi) than it did when Grandpa used to have it changed at 3k with Pennzoil.

A cab company around here runs 3.1/3.4 V6 60degree-based GM vans around. Runs a 40k mile OCI, proven with UOA. UOA says he can easily do 60k miles with that particular oil/engine combo. So even if I only do 30k miles on this oil change, I think I will be quite conservative.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SigEpCutlass

• LumiDriver

• White93z34

• pitzel

Woohoo! I never jack up any of the Cutlasses when I do an oil change, and that includes the 89 lowered with ST springs. I must be a really scrawny bastard! :lol:

You have to jack up the TGP don't ya?

So even if I only do 30k miles on this oil change, I think I will be quite conservative.

God help your motor.

yup

The oil's not even black or really dark yet. And even everything underneath the filler hole is spotless. As long as I keep the oil appropriately topped up (with Esso XD-3 0W-30 full synth), I don't see why it would be any worse than the people who change every 3k.

In fact, since most of the initial evaportation of oil is done (the evaporation that occurs when oil is fresh), I would suggest that things should remain be cleaner in the long run. My throttle body, when I first received the car, had an icky gum of oil vapours in the passages. I doubt a quality synthetic would cause that, compared with the cheap crap that Wal-Mart changed the oil with before I owned it.

Please understand that the study you refer to only examined one brand of synthetic oil. However, the effectiveness of oil is prone to degradation over time, regardless of whether or not it is synthetic. Furthermore, many of us use other synthetics such as Amsoil or Royal Purple that provide better protection and have longer life than the product used in that study. I can say that with 100% certainty in regards to the Amsoil 0W-30 Series 2000 Synthetic oil that I use in my Cutty, and that my dad uses in the 3 cars my parents own. Someone on MyMonte did a study on their car with Synthetic oil a while back that was probably referenced in one of our "oil debates". I believe it was Manticor and he used either Mobil 1 or Amsoil synthetic and found he could go about 25-30,000 miles before the oil even started to degrade.

I don't know anything about the oil that Pitzel uses, as I believe that it is only sold in Canada. If he has tested the life of the oil with a kit, and found it to be healthy, it is quite possible he could go that long of an interval.

EDIT: Btw, the most I've traveled in a year before doing an oil change IIRC was back in '04-'05 when I went ~27,000 miles.

Research has shown synthetic as great for high temps, however over time changes viscosity. Several test on the net show the oil viscosity increases over time and wear. I wouldn't chance it. Heres one study.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

The guy in that 18k mile study and the Camaro chickened out. That oil easily would have gone another 10k miles, with the simple filter change and top-up regimen he was following.

Out here in west Texas where we have triple digit temps, we use synthetic, but with the dual filter systems. The filters are changed every 15K, with the oil changed at 30K. I don't know how a regular oil filter would do over time, since they are half the size. That starts the debate of the which filters are best. In my personal vehicle, i run synthetic, regular filter, for 10K. I would probably try further if it wasn't for our sand and dust.

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

:lol: @ 3 pages on how to change oil.

Wouldn't be the first time, and it's not gonna be the last..

surely you remember a few of the spark plug threads...

:lol: Does anyone remember that time someone found that post about the VW owner who pulled the oil filter and then turned on the engine and to drain the oil b/c the drain plug was stuck? :bonk:

:lol: Does anyone remember that time someone found that post about the VW owner who pulled the oil filter and then turned on the engine and to drain the oil b/c the drain plug was stuck? :bonk:

i thought it was a Neon......

:lol: @ 3 pages on how to change oil.

Wouldn't be the first time, and it's not gonna be the last...

surely you remember a few of the spark plug threads...

and how many RAM AIR/CAI/FWI/WAI, etc etc threads... :lol:

omg laugh

what the hell.. siphin oil out of the dipstick hole?

jesus tap dancing christ.

That's how I change my oil :willynilly:

I got an oil sucker... like what you would use on a boat. Stuff the tube down the dipstick tube, pump it up (or down?) and wait. The oil filter is on the top of the engine, so I never have to go under the car. Plus I can suck the extra 1/2 quart of oil out of the oil cooler and filter can that doesn't normally get drained.

Then I just take the full oil extractor to auzo zone and dump it in their recycle vat. Couldn't be easier (or cleaner!)

-Jason

omg laugh

I got an oil sucker... like what you would use on a boat. Stuff the tube down the dipstick tube, pump it up (or down?) and wait. The oil filter is on the top of the engine, so I never have to go under the car. Plus I can suck the extra 1/2 quart of oil out of the oil cooler and filter can that doesn't normally get drained.

Then I just take the full oil extractor to auzo zone and dump it in their recycle vat. Couldn't be easier (or cleaner!)

-Jason

he is talking about doing it by mouth though.....

omg laugh

-Jason

he is talking about doing it by mouth though.....

ROFL! I know man. That's a pretty big difference...

i thought it was a Neon......

It was, and it turned out he was bullshitting everyone.

I'll throw in a point here:

As some of you may know, the vast majority of new GM's now have oil life monitoring equipment in them.

These systems monitor rpm, engine temperature, time at temperature, speed etc etc to get a solid picture of how YOU drive (lots of short trips, extensive idling etc, or all highway?...........the PCM now knows :wink:)

With the 90 degree V6's (3800's), the change oil lamp usually takes 7-11 K miles before it comes on. On 60 degree V6's (3100's, 3400's), the mileage is less, but you can still usually go 4500-8000 miles.......

Same deal with the trucks..........the 4800/5300/6000 V8's usually click on at 6-9K, and the 2800/3500/4200 I-4/5/6's at 8-12k.....

So.........can you go over 3000 miles?..........most assuredly..........IF........you are a *normal* driver (notice I said MOST lamps come on in the 5-12K range).

However, some things can dramatically shorten this time........AND, the oil life monitors can NOT detect dust in your oil..............hence, GM says stick to 3K if you drive gravel a lot (it may be overkill, but there you have it). In addition...........there are the drivers that DRIVE (abuse) their cars.......... :rolleyes:

Realistically, it comes down to how YOU drive.

If you make a 50 mile highway commute every day, and don't drive much outside of that, I'd say slap some good quality oil (maybe some synthetic) in your crankcase (and anything but a Fram/Junk filter), and off you go for 15-20K.........

On the other hand, if (like me), you are in town a fair bit, and when you aren't, are busy getting aquainted with your rev limiter, *I* would suggest that 3-5K miles (and synthetic, AND the best filter you can purchase) might just be something to take a look at :mrgreen:

As for the rest............somewhere in between................

I went 10,000 on my last oil change, but did a filter swap at 9000 miles. it seemed to have a bit of grit in the oil at the filter change time. not bad for a car that I want to die but won't. primarily highway miles, and I use a magnetic oil plug.

god, I havent changed the oil in the regal for like 30,000 miles! Oh well, still runs good.

And the cavi, I use castrol and a Wix filter every 5-6k miles. Goes from clear to black pretty quick..... :lol:

mabie you should shorten your change intervals in the cavvy? i know every time i change the oil in the lumina it comes out not very dirty at all after 3k.