ST vs INTRAX

radman3120

I contated JCWhitney and asked about the ST front lowering spring specs: 1.2" and 170 lb spring rate supposedly but i called them back and got the # for Suspension Techniques to double check that spring rate because it seems pretty low. 170 lbs sounds pretty soft, right?

I understand that the INTRAX are supposed to be 1.8" drop but have heard that it looks about the same as ST. How stiff are the INTRAX front springs? I've heard that they are progressive rate so that would make them much stiffer than stock in hard cornering, right?

Does anyone have the phone # for Thy at INTRAX?

Thanks,

Patrick

My friend has the ST springs in his GP and i have the intrax in my Lumina. One thing i notice is that my car is stiffer and maybe a little more bouncy. his ST's are softer and more comfortable.

The Phone # for intrax is 1-949-252-0800

Thanks for the input. It really sounds like I am going to want the Intrax. I'll give them a call on monday and hope that they have some leftovers.

another good thing with the intrax is that you dont need a spring compressor to install them.

Yes you do. How else do you get the old ones off?

another good thing with the intrax is that you dont need a spring compressor to install them.

hacksaw?

hacksaw?

*BOING* in the face?

*edit* fixed quote

to get the old ones out, yes you need a compressor. I meant putting the intrax in, you dont need to compress them to tighten the nut on top.

so you only need to use the compressor once per side

I just didn't want anyone to see this thread and get the idea that they wouldn't need a compressor to swap springs. Also its a good idea to get an alignment done afterwards.

The more I hear the more I want the Intrax. I really hope I can come up with something when i call them tomorrow. When i replace my springs i will also be doing a lot of other suspension stuff (kyb gr2s all around, strut mounts, all the bushings that i can find, trailing arms, etc) so i will definitely be getting an alignment. Will an STB affect an alignment at all?

My friend has the ST springs in his GP and i have the intrax in my Lumina. One thing i notice is that my car is stiffer and maybe a little more bouncy. his ST's are softer and more comfortable.

Good lord, if Intrax springs are stiffer than ST springs, that must be like having no suspension whatsoever. My ST springs are teeth-jarringly stiff.

I have the Intrax.... And they are a little stiffer than stock for sure...., But I would NOT call them uncomfortable.

And I DID need to compress them to get them installed. Not by much, but still.You couldn't just put them on the strut/knuckle, and expext the stem of the strut to poke through the upper mount.... I had to compress them a couple inches.

And I DID need to compress them to get them installed. Not by much, but still.You couldn't just put them on the strut/knuckle, and expext the stem of the strut to poke through the upper mount.... I had to compress them a couple inches.

All i had to do was put pressure on the strut cap with one hand and then tighten the nut with my other hand.

supposedly jcwhitney can get me the springs for the 96 monte but they keep changing my shipping date. I ordered them on 5/15 when the website said ship within 24 hours, but when it went through the ship date was 5/31. Now it is 6/12 or 6/13. They say they are on backorder and the ship dates are an approximation of when they should get them. Who knows.

If I take a front spring of 1.5gen monte or lumina ... the weith of car do not change the 'drop' and the 'driving' .. is not the same wieth with a monte and GTP ? .. no ?

:S

I live at quebec city in canada ... and NO BODY speed shop are able to find a coil for my GTP ... grrrr :(

I just got off the phone with ST........They say the spring rate is 500 lbs. Does that sound about right? Is that good for autocross and dailing driving?

This information is for jcwhitney part # 810113 which is supposedly ST #89123 but ST just looked it up by application for a '96 non SS monte

supposedly jcwhitney can get me the springs for the 96 monte but they keep changing my shipping date. I ordered them on 5/15 when the website said ship within 24 hours, but when it went through the ship date was 5/31. Now it is 6/12 or 6/13. They say they are on backorder and the ship dates are an approximation of when they should get them. Who knows.

just keep waiting...maybe youll be the first out of many that actually gets them!

they arent even listed in the ST catalog anymore as fronts/rears....they are sets now like Intrax and Eibach

If 500 lbs is "really damn stiff" then that's probably about right.

I've never autocrossed my car, but I feel like it'd do pretty good, especially with the 18" wheels. Daily driving... well, my car is a daily driver and it's not been a problem for me. If you ever have any older passengers ride with you, they'll absolutely hate it.

Quote from: radman3120 on Today at 10:31:19 AM

just keep waiting...maybe youll be the first out of many that actually gets them!

they arent even listed in the ST catalog anymore as fronts/rears....they are sets now like Intrax and Eibach

Yea, i guess i will just have to wait since its the only springs outside of a set of four. The only problem is that altough springs are something i want, there are a number of other supsension items that i need. I wanted to do it all at once so i only have to get an alignment once. Oh well. I hate sets :cry: