bluefever2

I have a question that i'm not quite sure of the answer because i've never seen an answer to it,anyways, how come pontiac did not have the muncie 5speed available on the tgp? was it not strong enough for the horsepower and torque or did gm just figure someone with all that power under the hood would prefer a slushbox?

Well most trannies are destroyed by the amount of torque put through them. I am currently running better than 330 ft/lbs of torque through my Getrag 282 that came out of an N/A 1988 Grand Prix. I am sure the 2.8 Liter that was in that car previous was no wheres near that powerful! :wink: :lol:

It is a question I have asked myself many times...but I think the answer is GM did not want to spend anymore money on the setup than they already had at that point.

You can make it a 5-speed yourself like I did...WAY more fun to drive than a plant your foot and go auto tranny.

Now I am sure many people will come on and say the auto is better. I am a die-hard manual tranny driver so piss on them! I turned a 15.1 at 94 MPH in the quarter. Now that is up at 5860' above sea-level. The NHRA gives (@ 5800 FT) .9315 for ET and 1.0731 for MPH on a turbo charged vehicle. So that puts me at 14.16 and 95 MPH in the 1/4 converted to a sea-level strip. As far as I know that is the FASTEST 5-speed car and only .6 seconds slower than the fastest TGP known with slips.

If you know how to drive you can go fast. If you drop in a 5-speed that is in good shape with no slop in it it will last! :cool:

I also swapped a manual into my TGP, but I used a getrag 284. :cool:

Kenny, where did you get those correction factors from?? I don't think any stock turbo TGP could run a 14.1 with 2.3 60's. :razz:

ooops they changed it. They are now giving 0.972 sec and 1.0281 MPH for supercharged or turbocharged cars at 5800' above sea-level.

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/altitude.html

and I am not exactly stock either... I leave my "stock" Jeff M chipped TSTE sitting at the traffic light when I go. :wink: :lol: It is amazing what you can do with a "CUSTOM TUNED" chip that supposedly can't be done! I am running stock everything except the chip, an air filter, and a 5-speed (lighter and less engine dragging than an auto-tranny). Now this is on street tire on a drag launch pad. With drag radials or slicks it would be much better of a time due to the fact I was spinning through 1st, 2nd constantly and roasted the tires going into third on one run. That turned out to be a 15.6 that night. Now do I have the balls to put DR's on a 140,000 + mile Getrag 282? NO! :leaving:

OH GOD NO!

The chip in our TGP/TSTE is ready for the proper changes needed to run a 5-speed. The 4T60 auto tranny that came in the TGP/TSTE's is a vacuum controlled tranny with electronic TCC for locking and unlocking.

The chip can be made to no longer worry about the auto tranny and many other changes to keep it running properly, but it is all in the chip and ready to go. Click on the link in my signature to see what all Dave (Invasion1) can do for you if you want to swap to a 5-speed.

actually my intended project is to swap a tgp engine into a 5speed corsica that has a n/a 3.1 in it already,i assume it would be entirely possible

i now own skalors car, i have the fastest timeslip/ video proven car on the stock turbo/heads/ intakes as far as i know, and only .7x seconds of of the Fastest TGP proven by timeslips.

i ran a 14.3521 @100.67 MPH in my 284- 5 speed Turbo grand Prix, now i got a bigger turbo and cant wait for the results (it feels ALOT faster), and for reference, 867 ft above sea level IIRC.... what would that make me at sea level??

also was running near bald tires.

Easy now Kuntzie...I was not directing anything at you. Will my car run a 14.1 at sea-level? I think so...but I am not about to drive my car to sea-level to see what it will do anytime in the near future. Actually I think it would go better than 14.1 at sea-level if I had DR's on it. My tranny might not like it too much...but it is capable of doing it. :willynilly:

actually my intended project is to swap a tgp engine into a 5speed corsica that has a n/a 3.1 in it already,i assume it would be entirely possible

Yeah its possible.

I would assume you have a 92 or newer Corisca or you won't have very much luck until you modify the transmission mount or you modify the crossover....

If you aren't already, get on the TGP forum, or the Beretta.net forum and get in contact with a guy named "TurboGTU" as he has done a swap into a Beretta, he modified the crossover, but still.....you get the idea....

Oh and yes the wiring is possible. I'm not for sure exactly whats involved but you should be able to run a TGP "memcal" in a L-Body ECM no problem, you have to wire in the boost controller and a few other things I believe, if you want that part atleast.

You should really consider the chip from Dave, he is a really good guy.

Oh and good luck hooking it up, a Corsica is even ligther than a Beretta, which is already 300-400 or so pounds lighter than a TGP :eek:

Kenny, yes i know, i was just saying by time slips my is the fastest 5 speed TGP , im sure you could hit a 14.1 no problem, but then again with my high trap i sould have gotten a hell of alot better then i was (needed better tires)

next Sunday i will have some new numbers for you to try and catch ;)

actually it's a'91 last thing i knew they didn't make a 5speed v6 corsica after '91,anyways weight is the main reason i wanna do it,that car's gonna fly like a rocket,lol

Yeah its possible.

I would assume you have a 92 or newer Corisca or you won't have very much luck until you modify the transmission mount or you modify the crossover....

If you aren't already, get on the TGP forum, or the Beretta.net forum and get in contact with a guy named "TurboGTU" as he has done a swap into a Beretta, he modified the crossover, but still.....you get the idea....

Oh and yes the wiring is possible. I'm not for sure exactly whats involved but you should be able to run a TGP "memcal" in a L-Body ECM no problem, you have to wire in the boost controller and a few other things I believe, if you want that part atleast.

You should really consider the chip from Dave, he is a really good guy.

Oh and good luck hooking it up, a Corsica is even ligther than a Beretta, which is already 300-400 or so pounds lighter than a TGP :eek:

i ran a 14.3521 @100.67 MPH in my 284- 5 speed Turbo grand Prix, now i got a bigger turbo and cant wait for the results (it feels ALOT faster), and for reference, 867 ft above sea level IIRC.... what would that make me at sea level??

14.3521 converted to sea level would convert to about 14.237. I did my calculations based on "850 ft" using the "stock/super stock" nhra altitude correction factor(you can look at the increasing/decreasing number pattern per 100' elevation to figure out elevations that aren't listed on the nhra chart). I think it's more fitting for our cars from what I've seen..

For 850ft to sea level use the following for future reference.

.99195 x your Elapsed Time . Multiply your trap speed by 1.008.

Also, here's the link to the NHRA elevation chart. The stock/super stock chart is the one listed on the bottom.

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/altitude.html