comparing rotary buffers....

THe_DeTAiL3R

Okay I'm looking to buy a buffer, cause it's a pain in the ass trying to take home the one from work along with the supplies and stuff.

I'm used to the Dewalt DW849 I use at work, so no problems using that.

The Makita 9227C looks like an even nicer unit, and it can buff at lower speed (600RPM). Smaller lighter unit, quieter motor.. guys in the bodyshop have one.

Then there is the Porter Cable 7428 .... which are going for low prices on ebay. Are these things any good? Comparable to the Dewalt??

http://cgi.ebay.ca/7428-Porter-Cable-7-10-amp-Polisher-Buffer-Sander-NEW_W0QQitemZ6061288359QQcategoryZ42266QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We use that exact Makita unit do do all of our buffing/polishing in our shop, and they have never ket us down. Excellent buffers, IMO.

Go with the Porter Cable. I've got a PC 7424 and although it's not a rotary, it's a nice buffer. Very solid, well built unit.

Well I bought the Porter Cable 7428 off ebay...

Came to $166 CAN with shipping and insurance

Read some good reviews on it, hopefully it's a good unit..

Yeah I got one of those 1-speed "polishers"... got it at a yard sale, it will probably end up being at a yard sale again :lol:. Those really can't do what kinda stuff I need them to do. I need 7+amp for heavy duty compounding, and variable speed. It's like comparing and S-10 pickup with a 4cyl to a 6.5L turbo diesel...

Yeah I got one of those 1-speed "polishers"... got it at a yard sale, it will probably end up being at a yard sale again :lol:. Those really can't do what kinda stuff I need them to do. I need 7+amp for heavy duty compounding, and variable speed. It's like comparing and S-10 pickup with a 4cyl to a 6.5L turbo diesel...

true..then again im not doing all that much body work..im just using it to put on wax and thats it..i take it all off by hand

Well I bought the Porter Cable 7428 off ebay...

Came to $166 CAN with shipping and insurance

Read some good reviews on it, hopefully it's a good unit..

Good choice, very good....

The Porter Cable is a professional's recommendation usually, I'm jealous....

http://autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html

That is probably what I'm going to get

Well I finally got my 7428 from the post office today..

I haven't had a chance to use it yet (still need some supplies, and time.. lol.. I'll get to work on the weekend). I plugged it in though and it seems like a nice unit. It's got that "bearing" sound like my dad's hammer drills, not that it sounds defective.. just different than the DeWalt I'm used to. It does seem pretty quiet though. When you pull the trigger it SLOWLY goes up to the set speed... which is nice because it will make less mess and reduce the chance of accidentally damaging the paint (the DeWalt goes full speed when you pull the trigger). It just came with a backup plate and the "Makita" style handle (as in the pics).

Anyways I'll give a full review on it soon. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

'nother update.. lol

FINALLY got to using the 7428

Didn't do any compounding yet.. so I can't comment on the power of the unit just yet.

I just slapped on a 3M foam polishing pad and did some Swirl mark remover....

pros:

-starts up slow, up to top speed. This made for a very clean job! Very little splatter! :)

-the "Makita style" handle (I'm not sure what it's called lol) is very nice for control. Hold it by the side and you can use very little force on the pad.

cons:

-Fucking load! Body vibrates a bit (does't affect your work though) Sounds like a hammer drill

-seems to lack the "umph" that the DeWalt has, but turn the dial up a bit and you're okay. It's a different unit afterall, and I'm still getting used to it.

I think i'll just put on my MP3 player when I do more work tomorrow... it should be a joy to do the sides due to the style of the handle. :)

Sounds awesome. I was looking at some of the buffers in the pics and got to wondering, what is the main differance in those "buffers" from an angle grinder? They look the same.But i'm sure that they are totally different though, right?

Kyle

Will a good buffer not vibrate?

I have a cheap-ass Harbor Freight orbital buffer. Damn thing vibrates the body panels so much I worry it's not good for the car. Works fine, but I can't stand the vibration. I don't know if it's because it's cheap junk or because all orbitals do that.

Will a good buffer not vibrate?

I have a cheap-ass Harbor Freight orbital buffer. Damn thing vibrates the body panels so much I worry it's not good for the car. Works fine, but I can't stand the vibration. I don't know if it's because it's cheap junk or because all orbitals do that.

All orbitals do that. I think they're called "dual action" or something like that, cause they spin and shake at the same time.. I dunno.

Mine doesn't really vibrate, the motor just isn't as smooth as a DeWalt.

My PC 7424 Dual action vibrates pretty good on the highest speed, but all I need to do is get a counterweight to solve that problem..

• 2 weeks later...

go for the Makita. hands down. Mine has never let me down, and I've put it through hell and back. I spent 250 on the entire package with carrying case and two different handles... and I haven't regretted it once.