For all you convertible fans

LukeZ34

This is some closer pics of that red 94 Cutty convertible that I posted last week..

http://www.lukez34.com/misc/pictures/cutty

I've still got a big dream bubble above my head that's envisioning me trading the lumina off and buying this instead.. I should learn to be happy with what I have.. but what fun would that be? :D

Ok, the only problem I have ever had with owning a convertable is that the wind noise is high and that they leak in the rain! How are the cutty's with these issues? Please only people who currently own or have owned a convertable cutty respond. I don't want to hear...I heard they suck or I heard they are great please! 8)

I honestly haven't noticed the wind noise on mine. It doesn't leak, or at least it hasn't yet, but it also has only rained once or twice since I got it. Mine is a 94, BTW. It DOES collect water in the top stow area though, for some reason. 91-93 has a drain in the stow, 94-95 doesn't, which is really weird.

My friend has a '93. He has mentioned leaking, I believe around the top of the windshield area. On the convertibles, I think regular maintennance of weather stripping will keep them leak-free. I don't think my friend likes to baby his cars in his free time like I do!

Well I took the cutty for a drive today.. and I fell in love, lol.

How was it? Well, lets just say I've got a 93 Lumina for sale pending on what my bank tells me about the cutlass.. ;)

Cutty Convertible owners: Is there anything specific I should look for next time I drive it?

Thats awesome Luke. if my Z34 weren't a stick shift I'd boost it and get a Cutty Convertible. I hope you get it, its a beautiful car. To someone unknowing, that car might as well be the same year as the '02 Monte in the background in one of those pics. it's style is STILL beautiful and modern today. AWESOME car.

My 94 hasn't leaked since I tightened the clamps that attach to the window. I loosened the screw that holds them in place, turned it one turn and set it there. No leaks anywhere and it has been out in some serious rain twice. Wind noise is not a problem. Still looking for a boot cover though. Damn, why are they over $500 new?

Mac

94 Olds Cutlass Conv DOHC

2001 GP GTP

I didnt complain about the wind noise but i could complain about leaking problem around the windows. I had a 94 Convertible but i had too much problems with convertible motor and pistons i had to trade that car in as a Lemon.

Yea, so reality just kicked me in the ass..

After talking to the bank, and hearing that the dealership was gonna give me for trade, there's no way in hell I can afford the monthly payments.. even if I were to sell the car myself.. it'd still be too much.

So yea, it was a nice dream while it lasted, and I'd much rather have some extra $ to spend each month than paying it all on a car. So I'm sticking with the lumina. :D

Go to a credit union and get a personal loan. that's what I did - 3500 at $106/month for 3 years. Sell the lumina for 3500, and there you go, you'll have the same deal. - Tom Banks Suck

I suppose there's a few more options I could explore before I give up on it completely. I told them I was expecting $4500 trade in price on the lumina, then once they found out that I was putting the stock rims back on, and that it needed struts.. they lowered it.. So I may go see what they will give me if I leave the rims and tires on it.

Where's that god damn money tree? lol :lol:

They figured out that the struts were bad? I would leave those wheels on it, they wouldn't look good on the cutlass anyways. The stock cutty rims look classy on that car. don't give up the ship!!!!! I'm sure there is some way you can scheme it to get that car, its sooooo nice. - Tom

It's noticable that the struts are shot.. rough ass ride, bouncy as hell up front.. lol

I'm gonna look for other places to apply for a loan here in town.. Sell the lumina for $5000 w/ the rims, and then go get the cutlass. My step brother said he'd be intrested in the sammy for hunting. I told him $1800 and it's his, so we'll see what he decides. It can be done.. it'll just take some time and planning. The car has sat on the lot for a few months already, I don't see it going anywhere soon... *knocks on wood*

I have a 93 and the wind noise is almost non-existent. However, if it stands out in the rain it does leak around the seals by the windshield sides in the front. If it's rolling down the road in the rain it doesn't leak either. I really love it, what a cruiser! 77K miles on that cammer and not a drop of fluid leakage anywhere!

However, the factory CD player doesn't work. I'd love to replace it, but how do I know how to set the wheel controls up for an aftermarket job?

My wife actually is jealous of the car some, she calls it the bitch! Probably because her 3.4 Euro Sedan sits outside while my ragtop sleeps in the garage!

However, the factory CD player doesn't work. I'd love to replace it, but how do I know how to set the wheel controls up for an aftermarket job?

You can do it with a PAC SWI-X. Cheapest place to get those is the ClubGP store.

It turns the steering wheel controls into an infrared learning remote. Only problem is you have to find a place to mount the infrared transmitter.

I have a 1991 conv. and it doesn't leak a drop of water, not even in the rear stow. Car cruises on the highway as silent as a coupe. Great car and even at 12 years of age it still gets the looks when its out and about with the top down. In fact I feel bad taking out this winter as the car has never been out in snow, the previous owner lived in Chicago and stored it every winter.

Jason