Why your sunroof does not work

AaronA

I have had the dillema for the past 3 weeks figuring out how to fix my sunroof. Thankfully my dad is a mechanic and has the tools to figure out why this crap happens. The sunroof on Grand Prix's is simply a 2 switches, a position switch and rocker controller going to a relay which delivers power to the motor. My dad (using a multimeter) figured out that the relay was broken, and instructed me to purchase a new one. So I did and installed it (its simply plug it in and tape up the plastic casing of the relay because it is flimsy and falls out), but now the relay clicks, but nothing. My dad examined it very thourghly and figured out that over time, the soldier points crack and make no contact, and thus why they stop working over time even if not exposed to any rain/moisture. My dad re-soldiered the points and now my sunroof works like new.

So if your sunroof has problems working, thats the most likely reason, because on both relay switches that was apparent, cracks and broken solder points. I am also willing to bet thats why most window switches dont work, however with those dismanteling them is far more difficult.