Big Time Problem! *convertible*

bigshynepo

:exclaim:So I have this leak on the cutlass that is unexplainable. I can't figure out how the water is getting in but its in on the passenger side, right at the bracket that the hook on the convertible top clicks into. I attached a picture below.

Silicon? Foam stripping? A previous owner tried to McGuyver it with some foam stripping along the entire length of the windsheild frame possibly trying to alleviate the problem earlier. Or am I just F*cked?

My Mom parks in the garage and won't let me in.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

mine used to leak across the front after i took some added weather stripping off the length of the front that the previous owner had put on. it leaked a little, so i figured might as well take it off. wrong! But, i got some at the hardware store and redid the whole thing and havent had any leaks since (that was 2 years ago i think)

As for the leaks, get used to it. mine leaks right at the back of the passenger front window, and comes in through the latch a little on the drivers side. after a good rain the floor in the back behind the pass. seat is soaked. Trip up to the carwash with the quarter operated vacuums fixes that right up. only time ive had mold is if it sits all winter, i had about a dime size starting when i started working on it a few months back

Mine used to leak pretty badly on both corners where the top meets the windshield... drip drip drip, anytime it rained.

All it took to fix it was Permatex dielectric silicone grease on the weatherstripping. It lasted over a year, and it completely stopped the leaking! Now I'm starting to notice a little dribble starting at the same place, I guess it's time to reapply it.

BTW, silicone grease is GM's official recommendation for weather stripping and it definitely works.

i need to do that. I'll add that too my list of things to get done soon, hopefully this weekend. im glad at least my trunk is staying dry now

• 2 years later...

Mine used to leak pretty badly on both corners where the top meets the windshield... drip drip drip, anytime it rained.

All it took to fix it was Permatex dielectric silicone grease on the weatherstripping. It lasted over a year, and it completely stopped the leaking! Now I'm starting to notice a little dribble starting at the same place, I guess it's time to reapply it.

BTW, silicone grease is GM's official recommendation for weather stripping and it definitely works.

^Super Bump^

Yeah, yeah, I know its an old thread.

We had a little rain here last week and I searched here for some solutions. Went to Autozone, bought some Permatex dialectric grease, applied vigorously to the seals, no more leak.

81150.jpg

Thanks! :thumb:

Glad I could help. :)

You can get it in much bigger tubes too. I have a friend at O'Reillys and he got it for me, I'm not sure if it had to be special ordered or not. I use it on all weather stripping, it works great!

^Super Bump^

Yeah, yeah, I know its an old thread.

We had a little rain here last week and I searched here for some solutions. Went to Autozone, bought some Permatex dialectric grease, applied vigorously to the seals, no more leak.

81150.jpg

Thanks! :thumb:

I need some of that for my Spyder :lol: