4 ga. wire question ?

ShockTherapy

okay, wire through the brake booster grommet, done, it's run and covered up up to the back seat, now, how do i punch this mother into the trunk?

could someone post up a pic ?

Me, and the other installers I work with start at the trunk end. Grab the lower left hand corner of the seat back, and pull up. You should have just enough space to get it through.

If not, pull out the rear seat. Shouldn't take no more than 15-20 minutes to do.

Take out the back seat, there will be a thick layer of sound dampening shit there. Take that out. Youll get more sound and itll just be better all the way around if you do. once you have that out, you can run it any where you want. But youll have to fight to get it out as it is not easy. trust me, its worth it!

But unlike you chris, I usually start at the engine bay, and go back from there.

Take out the back seat, there will be a thick layer of sound dampening shit there. Take that out. Youll get more sound and itll just be better all the way around if you do. once you have that out, you can run it any where you want. But youll have to fight to get it out as it is not easy. trust me, its worth it!

But unlike you chris, I usually start at the engine bay, and go back from there.

I find it easier to shove the wire up through the dash than down through the engine bay.

Just my opinion though.

I'm doing my power wire tomorrow. I was planning on starting at the front and working back too...

This sound deadening you say to take out, should that be left out completely? I will be switching to rear buckets in the coming weeks. I bet that deadening adds a few pounds too.

Jamie

yeah just leave it out completely. Once you get it out, it is rather heavy, and you can see where it would block alot of the sound as well. I noticed a big difference in sound when that was gone. Im willing to bet it weighs a good +/-20lbs.....

Take out the seat (both upper and lower cushions.) Here's a pic of the seat removed, with the "sound insulation" exposed:

backseat.jpg

And one of where I passed it into the trunk:

thrutrunk.jpg

I ran my 4ga wire starting at the engine side, as there was no way to see the "grommet" up under my car's dash.

firewall.jpg

underdash.jpg

You can also see in the pics that I attached the remote turn-on lead to the 4ga wire. It simplified the run for both wires.

DSCF0103.jpg

If i were you i'd also make sure its behind the bracket like mine is in this pic, just so the people in the backseat, or going over bumps it doesn't rub the insulation away and create a short.

On a side note this is when i found out under my rear seat was wet. WTF? never figured that out, even after ALL new weather stripping.