ChadZ34 is potentially getting NOS!

chadz34

I got a price for $534.50 for a nitrous kit for my DOHC, from a local hotrod shop. Some shit needs to be custom he said. My question is, how much horsepower boost can the DOHC take wihtout modding the internals? I need to kn ow this and get back to him. Thanks!

The thing is people don't understand nitrous, and abuse it or have it installed wrong. I have been around racing for a long time (no personal cars, but plenty of friends have them) and seen the effect of them using it in a once in a while application, such as the track. When you get that nice extra boost of HP and TQ from a button you will abuse it, thus FUCKING UP YOUR CAR GOOD. JMO

The thing is people don't understand nitrous, and abuse it or have it installed wrong. I have been around racing for a long time (no personal cars, but plenty of friends have them) and seen the effect of them using it in a once in a while application, such as the track. When you get that nice extra boost of HP and TQ from a button you will abuse it, thus FUCKING UP YOUR CAR GOOD. JMO

Doesn't depend on the amount of horsepower you inject, the main reason why I picked NOS, is because when it comes right down to it, these engines don't have an aftermarket, so I will make cheap horsepower.

there is an onld saying when it comes to HP adders, either cheap or reliable PICK ONE, your going the cheap route, enough said. I let you know my feelings, and thats all i will say, do as you wish. But don't bitch when u blow shit up

[sighs deeply]

Putting a 3.25" pulley on an L67 that doesn't have proper mods isn't a good idea.

Putting a bottle on a old car with a stock engine with stock internals with a stock transmission is pure stupidity. I'll tell you what I told that street racing ricer in the race stories thread.. BUY A DIFFERENT CAR. You said it yourself, the engine doesn't have a lot of aftermarket, so DON'T FUCK WITH IT. At the very least you're going to pop a piston. You don't know the first thing about engine internals and boost of any form, so why even risk it? That's like me walking into an operating room and attemping to perform open heart surgery. I might not kill the guy, but the odds are against me that I will. You might not suffer catastrophic engine failure, but I'm putting my money on you having a hole in the side of a cylender very shortly.

so if your going to do this, answer a few questions honestly...

are you, personally fully capeable of pulling out and replacing a blown to pieces 3.4?

can you live without your daily driver in the event of catastrophic engine failure?

can you afford a replacement engine / rebuild?

if the answer to ANY of those is no, you definatlly should not do anything of the sort.

and another question i have, where do you intend to use this nitrous? i mean i cannot see ANY way that it would have a practical use in daily driving.

are you, personally fully capeable of pulling out and replacing a blown to pieces 3.4?

can you live without your daily driver in the event of catastrophic engine failure?

if the answer to ANY of those is no, you definatlly should not do anything of the sort.

and another question i have, where do you intend to use this nitrous? i mean i cannot see ANY way that it would have a practical use in daily driving.

I wouldn't use it all the tme, just for at the track. As digitaloutsider said, I should not do this, I just wanna know what is a safe amount of boost for the car. 50 horsepower? 100 horsepower? I just don't know how 13-14 seconds at a time can kill the motor.

it is also illegal in most US states to have a bottle in car that drives on the street. Might want to look into that[br]Posted on: April 07, 2006, 01:55:20 PM_________________________________________________

I wouldn't use it all the tme, just for at the track. As digitaloutsider said, I should not do this, I just wanna know what is a safe amount of boost for the car. 50 horsepower? 100 horsepower? I just don't know how 13-14 seconds at a time can kill the motor.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: BOOOOOOM

Do you not understand what N2O is doing in that according to you measley 13-14 seconds? Thats like me saying im gonna go run a turbo on my car at 25 psi, but only for 13-14 seconds. Fact to the matter is, the harder you push a motor, the more shit is gonna break.

Just read his comments from the other thread ,

"First off, Aaron would smoke him! Second off, I could smoke him, but not as bad as Aaron........................................................................"

And you realize he doesn't understand...Just from his comments, he has a stock 3.4 (internals) , and he is claiming he can spank a 500 Hp Caddy...

He also hopes to hold a 3.4 together by osmosis while running a bottle.

:rolleyes:

Needless to say, I'm for it. :lol: Nitrous is dangerous, no doubt about that, but as long as your not abusing it, there's no harm done. As long as you dont suspect any internal problems in the engine now, you're alright. I wouldn't go any higher than a 75 shot without updrading the fuel system if your doing a dry system. A dry system is much more dangerous due to the potential for leaning out and breaking things. A wet system injects the extra fuel with the nitrous so it's a little bit safer, but if you hold it for too long it'll still probaby lean out and break things. I'd limit all shots to 8-10 seconds, and you really can't hit it more than once at a time without a bottle heater. For a good shot, the tank has to be warm and should have between 850-1000 psi of pressure in the tank. Once you shoot it, the pressure drops 300-400 psi, so If you keep shooting it the pressure will just get worse and worse, and it'll become pointless. Most newer systems shut the system down if they see a drop in oil pressure and a few shut them off if they see a drop in fuel pressure. If you hold it for too long, and the factory fuel system can't keep up, the car will noticably bog, and if you don't let up the motor will detonate. Throwing in a heat range colder set of plugs will also help greatly. If you've got any questions let me know. The nitrous has been shot about 60 times on a 3100 with stock iinternals, with no issues. The car only recently puked up the intake gaskets at 100,000 miles and the nitrous hasn't even been used recently. Nitrous is safe if you know the facts.

Just read his comments from the other thread ,

"First off, Aaron would smoke him! Second off, I could smoke him, but not as bad as Aaron........................................................................"

And you realize he doesn't understand...Just from his comments, he has a stock 3.4 (internals) , and he is claiming he can spank a 500 Hp Caddy...

He also hopes to hold a 3.4 together by osmosis while running a bottle.

:lol: I was joking about beating the Caddy! No one could beat that. A Turbo NOS'ed 3.4 couldn't beat it. 94CutlassXtreme has NOS in his 3100 Cutty and it hasn't blown up. A 3.4 has tougher internals, and if I only throw 75 horse to it, periodically like at the track, I don't think the engine will blow.

Why don't you hook the N2O up to the HVAC system, and route it through the vents. Turn it on high during a race, and you'll win every time!!

I just had a flashback of Mel Gibson, and Danny glover stapping that chinese dude in the dentist chair...

"Flied lice you plick"

Why don't you hook the N2O up to the HVAC system, and route it through the vents. Turn it on high during a race, and you'll win every time!!

I just had a flashback of Mel Gibson, and Danny glover stapping that chinese dude in the dentist chair...

"Flied lice you plick"

or when chris farley and david spade in the police car! :lol:

"Flied lice you plick"

You mean tommy boy? cause they were drunk there...

I wouldnt definately NOT go with a dry system. Go with a wet system that adds the extra fuel. I wouldnt run more than 50-75 shot. You'd be suprised what can happen in 13-14 seconds. Look at built up cars on the drag strip- they blow shit all the time, and thats only in 13-14 seconds, sometimes less. Your putting a huge stress on the system almost instantly, and if its not strong enough it WILL break, no matter how long the force is being applied.

"Flied lice you plick"

You mean tommy boy? cause they were drunk there...

no when they took his buddies police car and it has NOS on it, and the tanks line busted in the trunk, they were stoned

okay, since all these guys are stupid, and don't really want to take you that seriously, I'll help ya out. Remember, I had a 225K+ milage 2.8 Regal that got a 250hp shot of N2O (3 times to be exact) and it never blew up - but I'd run a 50 shot on it almost all the time. The typical rule of thumb with Nitrous is don't add more then 25% power (if you make 200 hp, only add a 50hp shot)

Hooking it up isn't dificult, hell, that's the easy part, but make sure you've got a wet kit, a dry kit will kill these engines.

Dyno time - you'll certainlly want to get some dyno time to tune it, most of these kits come with the little hp/fuel jet charts that'll make ya run real fat, that's not real bad, but you'll get more power if you can lean it out some, and do it safely. if I were you, I'd start out with a "50" shot, and work up from there, but I wouldn't top "100" on your engine - mostly because it's an older motor.

I think you'll have LOTS of fun with the added power of N2O on your car, but remember, most places charge between $4.00 - $6.00 per lb of N2O ($40 - $60 to fill most bottles)

some things that I'd recomend when running nitrous ...

if you want to run asstons of N2O I'd get a Better ignition system ... aftermarket MSD digital setup, or something like that (just using the MSD brand as an example)

Spark Plugs that are 1 heat range cooler and gap 'em a bit smaller, IIRC a 20% smaller gap is usually best for N2O tuning (IE: going from .060 to .040)

get a NEW O2 sensor, this is a good idea whenever you modify your car.

Your catalytic converter may or may not suffer, depending on how it's tuned - keep an eye on it, or just get rid of it all together. They say that N2O won't often effect the cat's, but if it's tuned too rich, it'll plug your cat.

if I can think of anything else, I'll post it later.

and for the record, I've seen guys running N2O for years on their cars, with no major problems as a result - N2O when tuned properly is often more reliable then most other power adders.

--Dave.

okay, since all these guys are stupid,

You wanna know what could happen.....

High milage motor meet detonation (if it's not tuned right)

You end up shittn parts of your piston through your tailpipe.

Yes, thats a worst case sanrio , but if it's your daily driver, are you willing to take that chance? You had already stated you don't have the required equipment to pull an engine .... Just think twice about it...OK?

If you want to do it, thats your call, I hope it goes well for you... really. I would like to know what the looks on the faces are of the people you spank.