Subwoofer repair... Help?

NeonKnight

Does anyone know where i could get my subwoofers repaired? they are Powerbass PB-B125 or something like that. It is the Black series 12" single voice coil 350 watts max, 250 RMS.

I have 2 of these, both of which have a blown voice coil or so i think. They both feel crispy, and one of the subs has a cracked cone and is going to need that repaired.

does anyone here repair subs? does anyone know where i can get a great deal on these things getting repaired???

I live in california, and these things are slightly heavy, but not too bad.

I understand how speakers work, if someone could even find me the parts i need i could fix them myself. the one cone i could just fiberglass and fix, but that probably wouldnt work too good.

I know i am going to need:

2 Voice coils (i dunno which ones i need i guess 350 watts?)

2 Spiders

2 Dust caps

1 Cone

2 Rubber surronds

anything else i can think of?

I miss having my subwoofers, these things were pounding harder then my friends JL sub. although his does hit pretty hard for a single :P

instead of wasting all that time and money, why won't get a new one?? As picky as I am, I would know that that sub would never be "perfect" again... but its you choice bud

There are music stores around here that repair speakers.....however it is starting at $50 cdn plus parts....so if they aren't owrth it, buy new ones!

I can repair speakers...but it depends on what's wrong

What to you mean by "crispy"? Is the cone plastic? As for saying blown coil, be more specific, like what does the speaker do when hooked up, and if you move the cone by hand what does it do? Also does the cone return to the proper location when speakers are off or getting no sound, the spider should be pefectly level all the way across.

I've dealt with situations where just a single wire on the coil slipped off the end of the former...someone actually gave me the sub free cause they thought it was shot, and I fixed it without spending a dime

well they have plastic cones, the one with a cracked cone sometimes works when it wnats to, but its more like when you have it hooked up. it crackles and sometimes comes on lightly then off again. and for the non cracked cone speaker if you move the cone by hand it is crispy, hard to move and just is not soft at all.

Before the "good" non cracked sub messed up i was listening to music real loud and really ran some high wattage through it... heh i like the sound too much

you havent heard one of these babies then. it might be a low wattage sub, but it produces very very good bass. heres the damage i saw after i ripped it open.

BTW the model is a PB-1254

04-04-06_1737.jpg

04-04-06_1735.jpg

04-04-06_1734.jpg

04-04-06_1733.jpg

Sub #1 sound like it has a loose connection, could be where the leads go through the cone, or where it connects to the coil. To fix the crack, since it's plastic, you can carefully melt the crack shut, this doesn't add weight to the cone like fiberglass would, and if done properly will make the cone as strong as it was new.

Sub #2, has a few possibilites, first off, some of the coil could have slipped off the former and it's rubbing against the magnet, this wouldn't make it incredibly stiff though. 2nd, by running more power, like you said, the sub bottomed out and bent/broke the former so it's catching on the magnet, or the coil assembly is not perfectly centered, possibly by the coil assembly breaking away from the spider and/or cone.

#1 if that's all it is, would be an easy fix, #2 on the other hand will require complete disassembly of the sub to find out what's wrong and since subs are meant to be taken apart, it's not easy.

You can try if you like, but you have to be very very careful and precise, when both diassembling and reassembling. So saving money might not be worth the headache.

I have never heard of any place that sells internal speaker parts like voice coils and spiders. I did once find a guy on the web that owned a speaker repair shop who sent me some free voice coils and threw in some spiders to repair my speakers, but he said that was a one-time favor. I think the only place you'll be able to find anything like that is a speaker repair shop.

Try to trade them in. If they wont do it, the Titanics are cheap and REAL nice design. I will be getting one and put it to the test with a 1000 watt sub plate amp. subs are supposed to be designed to abuse, so we will see how parts express handles their warranty claims.

well i can not return them lol. i have had them since.... well october of last year, but they were bought before that. a while before that. i tried to e-mail them at their website and never recieved anything back :(