top end engine knock!!!

soya_sauce

hey guys

i started my lumina for first time all winter today, its been in underground storage all winter long. im a little concerned though. im hearing a knock coming from the vavle train, only when you rev the engine up. Sounds similiar to the knock a rod bearing would make only its definetly coming from the front bank valvetrain.

im curious about cam bearings in the dual ohc engines. Are they a common problem?? difficult to change??? any info or ideas on what may be the problem would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• synistershadows

• IRONDOG442

• gp90se

• GOT2B GM

hey guys

i started my lumina for first time all winter today, its been in underground storage all winter long. im a little concerned though. im hearing a knock coming from the vavle train, only when you rev the engine up. Sounds similiar to the knock a rod bearing would make only its definetly coming from the front bank valvetrain.

im curious about cam bearings in the dual ohc engines. Are they a common problem?? difficult to change??? any info or ideas on what may be the problem would be greatly appreciated. thanks

If it sat all winter, the oil is probbaly right all in the pan, everything would be unlubed. How long did you let it run for? Shouldn't be a knock, moreso a tick.

• 1 year later...

I just started haveing this same problem with mine only i have been driving it pretty much everyday

it is over due for an oil change though but could that cause this problem?

I'd let it warm up to operating temp and see if the noise goes away. One of the lifters has probably lost its prime.

Whereabouts are you in Kitchener?

and i have let it run up to temp and it still makes the noise but only when i step on the gas

I was responding to the original thread question.

You can spend all day guessing what the noise is. You can try many many weight oils and that may not even cure the problem. I suggest you go into the engine and find out whats causing it.