Transmission Oil Cooler Lines

GP1138

Since I can't search, and I need this quick, I'll ask.

I have a 1990 Grand Prix LE that has a leaking oil cooler line. It's the one going into the radiator at the top. It rubbed against the lower metal hose and caused a hole. I can't figure out how the hell to cut the metal line down there to splice a hose in. Anyone have any suggestions??

I'd just replace the whole line, they're fairly cheap anyhow, and it's better insurance ... most times when ya splice something in, they have a chance of popping apart, and that'd be bad on the highway.

--Dave.

A small pipe cutter? You could use some sort of a small saw too, I assume this is just a temporary fix. The ultimate solution is to replace the whole line, as Dave stated.

Well, I just bought a new line. Since I'm fixing it properly, I'll make a FAQ with pictures about it.

That's probably the best idea Jon :thumb:

Who's 90 GP is this?

Well, I just bought a new line. Since I'm fixing it properly, I'll make a FAQ with pictures about it.

That's probably the best idea Jon :thumb:

Who's 90 GP is this?

Carri's.

I really hate GM. I went out and got a new fucking hose, and it turns out to be a size too fucking big. So the dude at the shop the car is stranded at tells me to go take the old hose off. I had to use a line wrench to take it off and he cuts the clamp fitting off. The top part that connects to the radiator is a normal flared hose fitting at the end. The other end that connects to the transmission DID have a crimped fitting on the end, until the dude at the shop cut it off revealing... a FLARED END EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE ON THE RADIATOR SIDE!! :willynilly: :bash: :bash:

So now I have to return the part I bought and I wasted $10 of gas running around.

I didn't get any pictures, but I remember wrench sizes and I'll take some pictures later I think.

The fuel line is rather expensive, like 4 or 5 bucks a foot. Depending on how much you have to replace, thatll get expensive quick. Best solution replace the whole thing and secure it.

That sucks though. Maybe if you had a pipe bender, you could make your own lines, and route them where you want them, where it would better/out of the way.

It's already fixed. The top section going into the rad was fine, it's just a flared end with an area to clamp with a worm clamp. The section I was going to replace was a line with a factory crimped section going into a line that curls down and goes into the bottom of the transmission. The mechanic cut the crimped section to reveal a section just like where the hose clamps to the upper part going into the rad. It was flared and I could put a worm clamp on without worrying. I don't feel bad at all not getting the correct part, which I already did, but the part they gave me is too big.

The car drives fine, no leaks.