Car Wash

97loudcut

After the last sunny/warm day and me seeing what the drive through car wash did to my paint I decided to never go to one again.

but..

the local car wash has a "touchless" one where you just park your car in a bay and this big machine just goes around your car and sprays it with soap/wax/water/ and then just uses the big air blowers to dry it off

is this still okay, is my paint safe?

I personally do not go to any automatic car washes with any of my cars. I never have liked the job that any of them do. With that aside, the touchless washes are better for preventing scratches, becuase, well there touchless. Yes, they do a good job for cleaning out a lot of the salt that collects from winter driving. But i am always leary about going through them due to the exteme amount of pressure that is used. I personally stick to wand washes through out the winter. I find that i can do a way better job at cleaning of the salt, and it costs a lot less too.

i agree with dustin.. i personally have had to go theought the touchless wash 3 times to get my car clean i nthe winter before and my car is white, the first time i came out i could barely tell it had been washed, so i went back to the counter and bitched about it they gave me another ticket for the wash... ended up going a third time to get it clean, that was the last time i went theough an auto wash never again.

I've only been through the drive through washes three times, twice in the cavalier (also was a white convertible, bad move there), and once in the blazer. The cavalier was still dirty both times, so needless to say, I just wash them on my own in the yard, or i go to the spray yourself bays (or whatever you want to call them. As for your paint should be ok, but may not clean as well. Worst case you may need to wax and buff after, but it shouldnt be scratching or anything.

I dunno...the touchless washes around here work fine on my car...I've taken it through when the car is totally brown and salt is crystallized to the dirt....cleans it off fine.....

Though a lot of my shitty GM paint has been flaking off this winter...oh well whatever.

I got a wash back at Wal-Mart a while ago. It looked awesome too. They have like 6, 7, 8, and 9 dollar wash options, with the 9 dollar obviously being the best. Well, I was trying to get the 7 dollar wash by putting in a 5 and two ones, but it took my 5 and wouldn't give it back. So the nice car wash attendant lady gave me the 9 dollar wash (which included undercarriage wash and a wax job). My car came out looking great. But that may have been a one time thing. I still kinda prefer washing my car on my own. That time I was just anxious to get the car clean because it was covered in road salt and it was frickin cold outside.

Ive always gone to the local wash. Its an auto wash and they always do a really good job. out of all the times Ive gone there in the winter (only go the wash in the winter, in the summer I was the car myself) Ive never (*knock on wood*) seen any scratches or swirl marks nothing. I cant complain.

touchless ones blow.....they dont have any scrubbers so theres no way in hell everything comes off

I go to a well known/trusted touch wash(no gas station crap) and do it

I don't go to car washes unless it's one of those "DIY" ones where you put like 8 quarters in and you get 5 minutes.

thats the kind i use in the winter time to get all the salt off mine.