Cost for steering rack?

Grand Moff Joseph

Well, by the sounds of it, the steering rack on my Lumina is about out of juice (based on the horrible grinding sound I hear when turning left).

Any idea how much these things cost? (part+labor)

Also, I was looking for this part on GMPartsdirect.com, and I noticed that you can order either the FE1, FE2, or FE3 steering "gear assembly". I know FE3 is the best suspension package available, but what difference is there between the steering gear for an FE3 car compared to an FE1 car?

The difference is the turning radius and number of steering wheel turns lock to lock. A base rack is 3 full turns lock to lock. There are 2.5 turn and the semi-rare 2.25 turns lock to lock racks. I have a 2.5 turn in my STE and the turning radius is like 3 feet (I think I remember that right) more than a base rack. So, its a little harder to manuever the car in tight places, but, I think, the responsiveness on the highway makes up for that. I barely have to turn the wheel to change lanes.

Well, I'm trying to decide if it would be cheaper to buy the part by itself and take it to a shop to be installed, or to buy it from a shop and have it installed there.

Either way, the car will go into a shop for the work, because I have neither the time nor the tools nor the space to do it myself.

When the rack was replaced on my Lumina the cost was somewhere around ~$430 after tax, CDN. But the oil pressure sending unit was replaced as well so the cost was $500 or something like that after parts and whatnot.

Labor for rack replacement is 2.9 hours on a 90 Lumina, and that probably doesn't include an alignment.

I would figure:

Labor:

65/hour * 2.9 = 188.50

Alignment:

$62 est.

Part (the rack):

If they let you buy the parts:

~$180

If they buy the parts, expect some markup, probably:

~$250

Grand total:

188.50 + 250 + 62 = $500.50

Give or take, but that should probably be the higher end of the spectrum.

he cant work on his car where he is, they wont let him. But you might find a shop that will install it for you.

Yep, my new apartment complex also has a "no working on your cars" rule.

Speaking of which, Jay, I need your address, so I can mail you that emblem for your car. :)