Squeaky Door Panels

90_Black_TGP

FOUND IT! I was taking my door panels off to refurbish and recover the cloth insert and finally figured out where the squeaky noise was coming from. These panels are multi-piece units that are held together with speed nuts and mine had worn/backed off causing the panels to rub together causing the squeak. All that I did to fix it was tightened the ones I could and the ones that were stripped-I just turned the speed nut over and tightened them that way. I also epoxied a flat piece of metal behind the panel around the latch handle to fix a pretty common crack. Now the panels are tighter and don't rattle or squeak. For those that are going to try this, there are alot of screws and push fasteners. Take your time- it's pretty easy. If you need to remove the reversed speednuts use visegrip pliers and grab the edges, gently pulling up as you turn them and they will come right off. I had to replace a couple of the push fasteners because they were brittle and broke when I was taking the panel off and I just went to Lowe's Home Improvement and bought a few new ones. It takes a couple of hours to do this fix.

Screw locations:

screwlocations.jpg

The crack was pretty easy, I basically just epoxied a piece of flat steel to the back of the plastic piece and held it until it set up. The squeaks were just the multiple pieces of the door panel not fitting tight. There are speed nuts that hold the sections together and they had worked loose and if you just tighten them back up it should take care of the squeaks like mine did. ONE thing I did was put a couple of 1" pieces of double stick tape between the handle piece and the dark brown panel piece. I figured if it would squeak again it would be there and that seemed to be where it was the most loose when I took the door panel off. My drivers side panel squeaks the most, so when I take it off and rework it, I will probably double stick tape more of it. Once you get the panel off you will see all of the reversed speednuts and it will be obvious what needs to be tightened. There WILL be some that are stripped, just turn them over and put them back on.