Ported lower intake lumina z-34

colwell

I was considering purchasing a ported lower intake for my lumina z-34 and i was just wondering if anyone knew if it would be a good upgrade for my car or not. Would it be a considerable difference in throttle response and/or pickup or not. I found them on http://www.rsmracing.com and i will either do that first or replace my catylitic converter with a high-flo. [/url]

I have a ported upper and lower on my Z34. You will notice a bit of an increase in throttle response. My motor is quite peppy compared what it was before all the other modifications. My intake was ported by a friend that owns a machine shop. He did a really good job. :) :)

night and day difference, and i did mine my self so of course its not as good. you will notice pretty good gains in the upper rpms. also it sounds alot more performancey(if thats a word).

The lower intake is simple to polish up (porting doesnt do much, they are matched to the plenum already). The plenum cant really be ported much because you cannot get anywhere inside it without chopping it. Extrude hone would be a good option there. Tapering the TB helps with throttle response and creates a nice bell shaped mouth to it. I do the tapering and lower intake polishing for 80 bucks so im sure you can find a place local to you to do the lower. The TB, they may not do but people have with a dremel. I use an air die grinder with a carbide cutting bit and it takes me about 30 minutes from start to finish if I go over it several times to polish it up. Just make sure to tape off the TB so you dont get shavings in there.

night and day difference, and i did mine my self so of course its not as good. you will notice pretty good gains in the upper rpms. also it sounds alot more performancey(if thats a word).

Did you get that kit for porting and polishing from like Summit or something like that? And, did you just port and polish the openings or the entire thing? Did you use a die grinder? And, how hard was it, cuz I want to do that, but I dont want to mess things up. And, how long did it take you? Im gonna have the upper intake off this summer for my rocker arms, and the lower intake would be really easy to get to, so, if this procedure isnt too hard, I want to do it. If Im gonna have the upper part of the motor apart, I want to do all I can to get some performance. Also, would a dremel tool work as good? Oh, performancey sounds like a word to me

Robby

Vegeta is absolutely right on the lower intake part. I experimented and took my heads off and had them port/polished as well. My car runs decent and I have no problems to speak of. Port matching is a big issue with any porting job. Make sure it doesn't bottle neck going into the head as mine would've done if I dropped the intake on without doing the heads(took to much material off the lower intake) :) :) :)

Were I you, I'd get the 70mm throttle body w/plenum and perhaps even the upper intake to go with it.

The performance gain, I feel, is well worth it for 450.00.

Were I you, I'd get the 70mm throttle body w/plenum and perhaps even the upper intake to go with it.

The performance gain, I feel, is well worth it for 450.00.

I didnt think there was a 70mm TB for a 3.1L. I know there is a 62mm out there for $200, which I plan on gettin, after I do rocker arms and the manifolds and maybe a FFP chip

Robby

My bad, I thought you had the 3.4 DOHC.

I'm still learning my 60 degree anatomy. My brother keeps telling me, "this isn't a fricking rice burner!"

Thats cool, no problem

Robby