monoleaf rear suspension

stevenjoseph82

yeah you got a monoleaf. Look on your RPO codes in your trunk to see if you have FE3 suspension or FE1. FE3 has bigger rear and front sway bars and stiffer springs, usually

Talk to xtremelumina92 about the coilovers, hes got them

Robby

yeah from 90 or 91 up all LEs were 4 doors

If the 6th digit in the VIN is a 1 the car is a two door coupe, if its a 5 , its a 4 door sedan

Robby

I thought so. Didn't want to post something that I wasn't sure about and someone get pissed and try to prove me wrong. Thanks robby1870 :D :D

Hey, Eastern Michigan. I go to Ball State. Nice to see a fellow MAC guy. But yeah, I was wondering how hard those coil overs are to convert to and if you needed any special tools or anything.

take out the mono leaf and pop them in! I had my buddies dads shop install them, it was in the middle of winter and the mono leaf looks mean to me!!!! Fuk having that thing snap and break things INCLUDING MY FINGERS AND ARMS!!!!! Later Jay

How could you hurt yourself removing a monoleaf? I should have videotaped the 1/2 hour it took me to put in a stiffer monoleaf----without a spring compressor. DERP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah from 90 or 91 up all LEs were 4 doors

If the 6th digit in the VIN is a 1 the car is a two door coupe, if its a 5 , its a 4 door sedan

Robby

91 and up LEs were all 4-door cars. I own 2 90 LE coupes ;)

How'd you do it? Did you disconnect the rear struts and let it hang like Pabz did?

Just disconnected 1 strut (had to change it anyway) removed the knuckle, remove brackets, swap spring, insert removed knuckle into spring, jack up a little bit and reinstall the trailing arm bolt etc, bolt in upper strut mount.

How could you hurt yourself removing a monoleaf? I should have videotaped the 1/2 hour it took me to put in a stiffer monoleaf----without a spring compressor. DERP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can hurt yourself when your working with people that don't know !@#$ about cars. My friend thought you had to jack the end of the spring up to get the strut out. I was on a parts run. I come back to finish the struts, not realizing the spring was lightly jacked up. I moved the jack out from underneath the spring and POP, smashed and broke 3 of my fingers. Needless to say he got the biggest ass chewing for that! Never underestimate the power of an Idiot :x :evil: :)

I have to jack up significantly on the end of the spring to get a strut IN.

Otherwise, the top of the shaft wants to push out with great force towards the quarter panel.

It's also 100x easier to get a rear strut out by jacking up on the end of the spring.

Does removing the bracket relieve spring tension on the other side?

You can hurt yourself when your working with people that don't know !@#$ about cars. My friend thought you had to jack the end of the spring up to get the strut out. I was on a parts run. I come back to finish the struts, not realizing the spring was lightly jacked up. I moved the jack out from underneath the spring and POP, smashed and broke 3 of my fingers. Needless to say he got the biggest ass chewing for that! Never underestimate the power of an Idiot :x :evil: :)

hang on... rest assured the spring had NO tension when I removed it. After taking off the brackets, the spring stays in place, then with a jack under 1 strut knuckle for support, remove the trailing arm bolt and the 2 link bolts, then remove the upper mount bolts, then slowly lower the jack. with the wheels of the ground, the spring is almost decompressed anyway. I had to lower the jack maybe 3 inches and the spring was ready to slide right off. I didn't have aux springs to mess with. Well don't fret, because today I see that my sister's monoleaf is worn beyond repair, so I will be heading to the junkyard tomorrow to pull another one and install it on her car, I promise to take pictures :) Derp!!!!

Well like I said I was on a parts run, not knowing what my friend did when I was gone. I get back not knowing the spring was under tension due to the jack. I took my right hand and pulled the jack back out from underneath the spring and POP! What was funny is that spring didn't look like there was any tension on it. I ended driving an hour home with three busted fingers on my right hand that night! :D :D