What comes first???

dkorinko

i got 15* of kr with just a smaller pulley :oops:

so ummm, get supporting mods and scan first.

intake/exhaust is a good start, help that som-bitch breath. for the love of god, keep the resantor in (or get a high flow one). L67s sound like SHIT with no res. After that, pcm, then scan scan scan, then maybe pulley, lol

but as said, every car is different.

if i were to do it all over again, my first mod would have been headers/dp, then intake, pcm, then a smaller pulley. At the local club, others guys totally agree, so we keep trying to get the newbs to do headers first, but alot are turned away due to the price.

I think mines a knock monster cause its still pissed it got stolen down in Johnston, RI :bash: :bash: :bash: :lol:

So many choices, so little time and money lol. I am going to see if I can do this intake job on my days off, (tuesday and wednesday). And I should get some nice pics up of the car as well, I think you guys will be really suprised by the color lol. It's a little different, and until I saw this GTP, i didnt even know they made them in this color.

I am with these guys. You could also go with a Thrasher or a SLP cold air intake. TOG headers is a definit must. And also buy a quick change pulley system. After so many pulley changes on the SC, you will be glad you did. The u-bend delete, or new exhaust, is also a definit must. And the rewire for the fuel pump. Autolite 104's for the sparkplug, and see if you can find some 8MM wires. Ditch the plastic engine cover. Althou it makes it look cleaner, it also retains some heat in there. This will get you started and produce quite a bit of TQ and HP. There are more mods, like porting the SC, larger Diameter TB, fuel system componets, water cooled intercooler, vented hood intakes for the intercooler, but these mods wont do you any good until you have all the supporting mods listed above.

Here is a CAI..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grand-Prix-GT-GTP-Cold-Air-Intake-CAI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8030736376

Heres another, but it doesnt have the collector box..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grand-prix-GTP-CAI-3-inch-Cold-Air-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ803211734

Heres a thrasher CAI

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THRASHER-Cold-Cool-Air-Intake-Grand-Prix-Impala-Monte_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8009620591

Heres a pulley quick change system..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pulley-Hub-SET-Grand-Prix-GTP-Impala-Monte-Carlo-Regal_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQitemZ8030603838

That should be enuf to get you started. When you order the pulley thing, go with a 3.4 until all the supporting mods are done. But dont do that until the exhaust has been done..

Thanks for all the help guys, like I said I should be able to get the intake done and get some good pics of the car this coming tuesday or wednesday! So hopefully everything works out! Just out of curiousity, no one would happen to have the pictures of my old TGP, would they? :)

Save your money and build your own intake. (wish I would have but I'm still happy with my wizair) Also stock plug wires will be fine just replace em with new delco's if they are old.

mmmmm, wizair

i should fix the slight exhaust leak, but im to lazy (and im not certain on where it is)

when my engine is cold, it sounds like arse cause of it :(

fwiw: i dont know how much a FWI will help ya, i thought someone did a test between a FWI and something similar to the wizair :shrug:

Okay, here is my $.02.

Don't do shit to the exhaust after the cat, its perfectly fine and you are wasting your time/money if you're trying to add power, I don't quite understand why everyone goes to a 3"???, my dad put down 334whp/380wtq with his 2.25" exhaust so 3" just seems overkill.

Also, a trans cooler for a GTP is a waste of time and money as well. I've never seen the tranny temps go over 200* in my dads GTP. He can beat on it all day and it won't get that hot, and from what you can probably gather from the dyno number above, his car is no slouch so it is hard on the tranny. He also has a higher stall convertor which should generate higher trans temps.

Removing the u-bend and getting a 3" downpipe would give a nice gain and I would recommend that. Then I would say get a wizair intake, and a DHP PCM. Once you have that stuff do a tune up with some Autolite 104 plugs, new wires, etc... Also a colder thermostat would not hurt (you'd probably want to go with a 180*, although I personally would go 160*). Once you get all that done, then I would go with a modular pulley system and start out with a 3.5" pulley. (personally I'd go with the ZZP MPS but thats just personal preference/bias) Scan the car to see where it is for kr before deciding what else to do, with those mods you might be able to go with a 3.4" pulley, you don't know unless you scan. But from there you really need to decide if you want to go the cam route eventually or not. If you do want to go the cam route then at this point I would pick the cam out and get it as your next mod. Then after you get the cam, then headers would probably be a good investment, before that point everything else just gives a much greater gain per $. Then after that you'd probably be able to figure it out yourself, but then you'd consider things like an intercooler and whatnot, it depends on how serious you want to get.

Some cars are freaks and you won't have to do many mods at all to be able to run a small pulley it just depends. When we got our '04 Monte Carlo we put a 3.4 pulley on it right away without doing anything else to the car, took it to the track and with 2 people in it it pulled off a 14.400 @ 97mph. Since then we've done other mods to go along with the pulley, but obviously the 3.4 pulley didn't hurt the power in that situation. It was probably getting KR, just not enough to overcome the power gain from the extra boost. I would not recommend taking this route, just telling you that every car is different and your first investment should really be a scan tool IMO.

Shawn

Who said to get a trans cooler? Only the TGP/TSTE needs a trans cooler last I heard..

not to mention they come with coolers.

Did Regal GS come with them? I seem to remember this guy I know installing an aftermarket one??

UMM... I said add a trans cooler. If it's routed right it can't hurt. And a trans cooler may help extend the life of your tranny, as well.

Sure beating on it may not make it go over 200 degrees, but cars do vary. You might beat on, and not need it, but I think it is a worthy investment.

I would link it in line before the transmission cooler inside the radiator.

UMM... I said add a trans cooler. If it's routed right it can't hurt. And a trans cooler may help extend the life of your tranny, as well.

Sure beating on it may not make it go over 200 degrees, but cars do vary. You might beat on, and not need it, but I think it is a worthy investment.

It is basically agreed upon on clubgp that a tranny cooler on a gtp doesn't do shit. The money is better spent in many other places.

Shawn

It is basically agreed upon on clubgp that a tranny cooler on a gtp doesn't do shit. The money is better spent in many other places.

Shawn

Tell my convertable that. It's tranny is cooked. It may have been used to tow, though...

I think all the trannies are thermally regulated..... with a valve that prevents too much cold tranny fluid coming from the cooler.... but they can't help if it can't get enough cool fluid. Better to have a surplyus of cool fluid than a lack of.

I think this addition of a tranny cooler would be most beneficial to someone who drives mountains or in very hot climates, more than anything. I added one to my dad's 95 ciera. He lives where there are lots of steep low speed mountains. Better safe than sorry!!!!

Tell my convertable that. It's tranny is cooked. It may have been used to tow, though...

I think all the trannies are thermally regulated..... with a valve that prevents too much cold tranny fluid coming from the cooler.... but they can't help if it can't get enough cool fluid. Better to have a surplyus of cool fluid than a lack of.

I think this addition of a tranny cooler would be most beneficial to someone who drives mountains or in very hot climates, more than anything. I added one to my dad's 95 ciera. He lives where there are lots of steep low speed mountains. Better safe than sorry!!!!

So you don't have any experience with tranny coolers on a car with a 4t65e-hd? Sounds to me like all those cars run different trannies.

My dad runs 11.9's in his GTP and his trans typically runs ~170*. He has no trans cooler or anything like that. Our '04 Monte Carlo (runs high 13's), I've never seen the trans temps on that go over 180ish, and in our '00 SSEi (which has over 160k on it and has run high 13's since it was almost brand new) it has the original trans, no cooler or anything, and the trans temps have never been over 200* while I've had the scan tool connected, and the car is modded and has had the shit beat out of it for 160k. It just seems to me like a trans cooler is a big waste of money. But hey, what do I know because I obviously don't have any experience with L67 cars... The guys that run 9's don't have trans coolers. There is no point in spending the money on them unless its and autocross car or something like that. But thats just the opinion I've gathered in the 3+ years I've been around the L67 community. I'm not saying he can't run one, its just that from what I've seen, the money can be much better spent.

Shawn

So you don't have any experience with tranny coolers on a car with a 4t65e-hd? Sounds to me like all those cars run different trannies.

No, I don't... but... I was thinking that the 97 GP has the 4t60? and that 98 was when they went to 4t65? unless that was a non-turbo car.... :oops:

I've dealt exclusively with 4t60 and 4t60-e power....

BTW, I got OEM coolers for my cars, off decesaed W's at the J/Y. so $5 each isn't that bad, LOL.

[sigh] for the 9,000,000,000,000th time..

1997 3100 and 3800 N/A: 4T60e

1997 3800 Supercharged: 4T65e-HD

The only year the Series II 3800 Supercharged was mated to the 4T60e was in 1996 in the H-bodies.

[sigh] for the 9,000,000,000,000th time..

1997 3100 and 3800 N/A: 4T60e

1997 3800 Supercharged: 4T65e-HD

The only year the Series II 3800 Supercharged was mated to the 4T60e was in 1996 in the H-bodies.

Sorry. My bad :roll: but you understand where I came up with that...

ummmmm can a 4t65-hd substitute for a 4t60e?

Don't forget about the G body!!!

I had my Regal up on a lift today. And looked at the exhaust. Man, I really REALLY want to get rid of that U bend.

ummmmm can a 4t65-hd substitute for a 4t60e?

Not unless you change the PCM and Wiring harness to one made for the 65-E.