What comes first???

dkorinko

Alright guys as some of you already know, I had an 89 TGP awhile ago and was forced to get rid of it. I recently bought a 97 Grand Prix GTP. I was just wondering what all you guys think I should do to the car first? Obviously the cheaper the better but I dont know half as much about this car as I did the TGP so I am not sure what would be best for the car... In other words, I am looking for the most HP gains with the least amount of money lol, isnt that everyones story haha. Well any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

Dane

The pulley's not recommended without doing support mods first, and can actually make you lose power and cause more harm to the engine than good. I can't remember what should be done first, one thing is probably going over the exhaust and deleting the u-bend.

I would start with a full tune-up and fluid change before the mods.

I mod can only be as good as the base engine is! This is an arguement worth fighting time and time again. I roll my eyes when someone basically says they have a problem, but reject the proper fix, since they would rather do a mod.

If you haven't, spark plugs, fuel and air filters, change all the fluids if you don't know when they were last changed. I even add a tranny cooler and magnet to the tranny when i service them.

I don't know all the details on your model, (DIS or not?) but i would like to have extra guages to tell me info the standard guages don't tell you, like oil pressure.

i thought you could do one just not below a certain diamater before you had to get supporting mods? just a question.

Maybe.. I can't remember. It might only be for the 3.4 pulley.

I just had an oil change done, had my guy check all the fluids, said power steering, tranny, and brake fluid was all good. While the car was on the lift, I took a look and the fuel filter also looks new. According to car fax the vehilce is a one owner car, obviously me being the 2nd. And the car has never been registered outside of arizona. So i would like to think everything is sound and doing well on the car. No one would happen to have any extra gauges I could get for cheap would they lol!? I would be looking for boost, a/f, oil pressure, and water temp. Thanks for the fast responses, keep them coming!

I just had an oil change done, had my guy check all the fluids, said power steering, tranny, and brake fluid was all good. While the car was on the lift, I took a look and the fuel filter also looks new. According to car fax the vehilce is a one owner car, obviously me being the 2nd. And the car has never been registered outside of arizona. So i would like to think everything is sound and doing well on the car. No one would happen to have any extra gauges I could get for cheap would they lol!? I would be looking for boost, a/f, oil pressure, and water temp. Thanks for the fast responses, keep them coming!

Glad to hear the car sounds good :)

I would do some durablility mods like the trans cooler and magnet, before performance mods, personnaly. And add a magnetic oil plug if your car isn't equiped.

boost, a/f, oil pressure, and water temp Does the DIS cover some of these? I assume yours doesn't have DIS?

Well if anyone has parts laying around let me know. Personally I would like to save up around $1000 and do an intake, exhaust, pulley, PCM, plugs, wires, and a tranny cooler all at the same time. But, at the time its hard to save money so maybe if I could do that same setup piece by piece, that would probably be much easier for me to do. If anyone knows of any great deals going on right now...please, let me know!

The driver information center is honestly not that useful. I have used it for the MPG readings, and thats about it, really all the boost display does is let you know the pedal is to the floor, it has no indication of an actual PSI reading. I give GM credit, it does look pretty cool though lol. Whenever a girl gets in the car they always wanna know what it is. Thanks again guys.

Personally I'm NOT getting a pulley at all untill I have a full 3" exhaust from the manifold back, a 4" FWI and a PCM.

My first mod was a gutted airbox with a K&N. I did this over the FWI because my friend had the gutted airbox and K&N sitting in his garage. So it took me all of 5 minutes to do. lol

What I recomend for a First Mod is the 4" fenderwell intake. It's a DIY project and you get 4"ABS plastic tubing and a 22* and a 90* bend. Then you can ether get a 9" or 7" K&N cone filter.

This mod will give you more power and A LOT more sound. Best part is you can do it all for less than $70 including the filter. :)

i woulden't waste your time with a 3' exhaust as being a large mod, i'd worry more about getting headers and a good downpipe, that alone will make more differeence then any cat back or whatever will.

Headers are too expensive for me right now. And too expensive for alot of people.

There's a local shop by me that did my friend's complete exhaust (3" mandrel bent from the manifold back) for $235 with my friend providing the cat and the mufflers.

EDIT: my point is 3" exhaust from the manifold back greatly helps the engine breathe. It's not as good as a set of headers but definetly an imporvement over stock and much cheaper than headers.

Personally I'm NOT getting a pulley at all untill I have a full 3" exhaust from the manifold back, a 4" FWI and a PCM.

My first mod was a gutted airbox with a K&N. I did this over the FWI because my friend had the gutted airbox and K&N sitting in his garage. So it took me all of 5 minutes to do. lol

What I recomend for a First Mod is the 4" fenderwell intake. It's a DIY project and you get 4"ABS plastic tubing and a 22* and a 90* bend. Then you can ether get a 9" or 7" K&N cone filter.

This mod will give you more power and A LOT more sound. Best part is you can do it all for less than $70 including the filter. :)

Does anyone have a diagram on how to do this??? It sounds well worth my time and money but im still a little unclear on exactly how to do it???

That looks pretty cool and looks like it would be a nice setup but it looks like I have another sensor on my car that the impala is lacking. Maybe I am wrong though who knows lol. So in order to do this install, what all has to come off the car?

That looks pretty cool and looks like it would be a nice setup but it looks like I have another sensor on my car that the impala is lacking. Maybe I am wrong though who knows lol. So in order to do this install, what all has to come off the car?

I think the sensor you're talking about is the Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor. It looks to me that he extended the wires so the sensor could be placed further away from the engine.

I think the wires in that loom right by the Pipe as it goes into the fenderwell are for the IAT.

air3.jpg

Definatly do the intake sean is talking about. (or check clubgp for a cool intercooled intake idea) Next I would get a 3" downpipe with a highflow cat (or no cat hehe) with the u-bend deleted. I'm running a 3"dp to 2.5" to the y where it splits to the dual. The stock mufflers flow well and you only really want to change em for the sound.

And after that buy a SCANNER for sure! You always want to monitor that knock and other stuff of course. Personally I'd save up $400 and get a DHP Powrtuner. You can program your pcm and also scan it. http://65.109.52.43/PowrTuner.htm After you scan and see that your running 0* kr or close to, I would add a 3.4 s/c pulley and 180 t-stat. Then headers, rockers, etc.. haha

Edit: doh! Forgot you will want to add a step colder plugs when you drop to the 3.4 pulley. I run cheapo autolight 104's gapped to .055. They work well and last pretty long.

You can safely run a 3.5" pulley (which would add significant gains) as long as you have the U-bend removed and a decent intake. Don't bother getting a 22º bend. Get the F-duct from a 99+ GTP. This will allow you to just run a straight PVC pipe directly to the fenderwell to the 90º bend and filter. You can drop to a 3.4" with absoulutely no problems, but colder plugs and a downpipe and/or bigger exhaust is recommended. You can drop to a 3.25" pulley once you've gotten a downpipe, exhaust, PEM's/headers, intake, u-bend delete and if you feel ambitious enough, alcohol injection. I personally wouldn't bother with a PCM unless you're down to around a 3.4" pulley.

You can drop to a 3.4" with absoulutely no problems, but colder plugs and a downpipe and/or bigger exhaust is recommended. You can drop to a 3.25" pulley once you've gotten a downpipe, exhaust, PEM's/headers, intake, u-bend delete and if you feel ambitious enough, alcohol injection. I personally wouldn't bother with a PCM unless you're down to around a 3.4" pulley.

You really need to scan before you go dropping pulley sizes. Every car is differant.