Hole in airbox

Guest RedCutlassSL

I'll get you a picture this evening when I get home. (unless I already have one online somewhere)

No idea on the brand. But it is the original filter that came with my RedZMonte Intake I bought for my lumina waaay back in the day. It's in good condition.

It doesn't have the filter in the center either.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• godofthunder

• Robby1870

• Brian P

• LukeZ34

its amazing how many posts these airbox threads generate. after ive got insurance paid, and got a system in my car im happy with the next purchase is an intake. top end is what you need to edge out the stupid little imports (like somoene i know who claims hes gunna beat my friend strans am with a stock jetta 1.8T :lol2: ) and i already have the bottom end to start the lead

yeah I'll put up what I noticed. Well, I actually didnt notice a torque loss down low, I suspect thats cuz of my exhaust system, so on a stock motor I would say it would loose down low. Now, at 3K rpms, it comes alive, great deep sound, and I can feel the extra power after 3Krpms. Course this is on a LH0, not a L82 like you have Godofthunder. But, judging from driving my sisters 96 GP with 3100, I would say, for you, it would be worth it. 1) cuz the L82 is not a toruey motor. 2) the L82 makes all its power up top anyway, which is where your gonna see gains from this mod, so, I would say for L82s, its a good mod. Plus, you already have the drop in K&N like me, so opening up the air box plus the K&N is really going to be noticeable up top. Thats just my opinion, you might want to wait for someone with a 3100 to reply.

Robby

This sounds stupid, but with the rotary tool, what did you use to make the holes?

Thanks for the input. Yah, I already notice the 3000+ power. Thats just with tthe drop in. What exhasut to do have, and other mods?

Jon

I didnt even use a rotary tool, I dont have one at college. Heres what I did. I used a drill and drilled a bunch of small holes to sort of perferate the area I wanted to to cut out, then, I just "punched out" where it was perferated. I posted some pics of what I did on like page 3 or 4 of this thread, you might want to check them out. Heres how my exhasut goes. I cut the cat out, replaced it with a turbo tube (like a glasspack but not), then split it with a y pipe that goes to two turbo mufflers then sinlgle intlet, dual outlet tips. The pipe sizinng up to the y pipe is 2.25" and after the y-pipe its 2". That and the K&N and airbox are all the performance mods I have. Check out my very crappy website to see pics of what the exhaust looks like if you want. This summer, Im doing rocker arms. Anyway, hope this helps

Robby

well i have done the mod on my grand prix. its a 92 4dr. the only mod i have for performance is dual exhaust. i did the airbox thingy and its been bout a week and half and i notice the pull. the engine comes alive now. Feels like i gain more on topend though my low pulls a lot harder than it did since i did the airbox mod i sqeel my tires much longer. i have the 3.1 engine. but ima do a cold airintake next this mod is to just hold me off until i get the money to make that.

This definatly sounds like a cool idea. I am going tu use a hole saw with mine and cut out two 2inch holes. If i want i will cut out a third one. Monday right after work I am trying this. Soon I will get the K&N also. What about cone filter vs. drop in? On my Probe I had the cone was a noticable increase in power and throatiness. But this mod idea on the airbox with a drop in I like the best because that cone gets dirty haning out there. And I like keeping things close to factory if possible in looks.

I used a 2" hole saw and drilled 3 holes straight acrossed the bottom of the battery side of the air box. Took 5 minutes. If you don't like the results epoxy the 3 round peices you just cut out back into place.