Hole in airbox

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

I believe Luke just did this. I plan on drilling 2 holes in the cooler side of my airbox. Did you notice any difference? Also, do you get that whoosh noise or whatever that you would get with a cone air intake? Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• godofthunder

• Robby1870

• Brian P

• LukeZ34

Yeah I recently did what Luke did. Cut 2 holes in the bottom and put in a K&N drop in. You can DEFINETLY hear a difference in sound, and low end power seems to be a little stonger, but it really takes off at the upper end now! I would highly recommend a K&N drop in if you do it though, didn't work as well with the standard filter. Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Dustin, can you take some pics when you do it?

I already have a K&N in there, and if this would help, im intersted. Would this help even more than just having in the drop in?

Jon

It should help a lot more than just the drop in. Cuz you'll be getting alot more air to the motor. With the drop in, yes you do flow more air, but the box and snorkel design severly limits how much air you take in. I got the drop in too, and it helps just a little, mainly in MPG. Im waitin on a cone setup this summer.

Robby

I think when i go to the junk yard, ill pick an old one up. See exactly where I want to cut it. Or, anyone have their old one, for cheap? For the 3100?

Any others?

Jon

Guest RedCutlassSL

I basically just removed the side of my airbox. ITS SOUNDS REALLY FRIGGIN MEAN!!! AND ITS VERY LoUD!!

I Recommend everyone does this mod. It takes 10 min. and about 5 tools. For what you get, its well worth it. Best of all, its free!!

Oh wow, firetruck outside....

now back to what I was going to ask. Just wanted to make sure that those cuts were on the side closer to the fender? Would this thin also help with heat?

Also, did yall put the original hose back on? Or leave it off?

Jon

How does this affect the car running in cold or damp weather?

The reason Im asking is because I changed the air cleaner on my truck to an open one and it doesnt run as good when its cold or damp.

I cant see why there would be a problem with cold, from my exp. my car loves when its cold outside, and its at Norm opp. temp.

With damp? I dunno. MY brother made a mock Ram Air on his old Sundance, and he would drive through a puddle and it didnt do anything. All I could think is maybe dew or something forming on the open filter, and just making it cloged until blown out

jon

I can get you a definate 'after' clip, but to do the 'before' I'll have to find a way to plug the holes that were cut. I'll work on it for ya.

i guess i could tape record it then play it back thru the mic and into the computer. it would sound like shit but i dont any other way to get it into the computer. the reaosn i want a before from luke is beacause i want to hear a before and after from his same method of recording. listening to a recording of my engine then an 'after' of his wont do me too much. if u want it lemme know

I just wanna hear to see how much louder it actually gets, and if the exhaust or the engine itself.

I can rip tapes ( have a nice Tape deck dirreclty into PC). I just gotta figure a way to record from the car, maybe with one of those handhelds or something.

THat, or I may get my friend with a laptop to use it and my computer mike to record it.

Luke and Dustin, when you ddid this, did you notice any more power? Moreso than just the K&N drop in?

Jon

The way I'm going to record the car is this.. My old PC is located on the exterior wall of my apartment, the car is parked on the opposite side of the wall. Simply running an 1/8" headphone extension cable out the window and connecting a decent microphone to that. I'll need to find an older version of the software 'Soundforge' on Kazaa that'll run on my old Pentium 233, but I'm not worried about that.

I'll plug up the holes, and even put the snorkel back in, get a before recording, remove everything, and get an after recording. Edit the file, and then save it as an MP3.

Pretty simple really.. :D

oh man, I just out my airbox back in with fresshly cut holes and a clean K&N and WOW :shock: The exhaust sounds really mean after 3Krpms and it has a lot more pep. Im so pleased with this free mod. The car sounds badass and has more pep. Everyone should do this. I took the snorkel out, cut out half the front of the box and the entire side by the battery. Its awesome!

Robby